Help Find my Server:))

Discussion in 'General' started by Artush, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Artush

Last night I have installed my 1st elastix server, everything all right, but I hevn`t DHCP server and want to setup static IP. I tiped <Setup> as written in instruction, but there is not <Network configuration>. Answear please, how I can setup static IP?

2. dicko

Try

yum -y install system-config-network-tui
    setup

it should be there then

3. Artush

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    Loading mirror speeds from cashed hostfile
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirror ... &arch=i386 error was
    [Errno 4] IOError: ,urlopen error (-3, Temporary failure in name resolution}>
    Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: epel

I thik the error is that server cannot connect to internet, bat I cannot set internet IP settings without network configuration.

Sorry if anything is wrong, I`m new in linux:)

4. dicko

Sorry, can't help you being new, but if your current dhcp server doesn't give out a valid name server you will have to edit /etc/resolv.conf and add a line

nameserver <valid name server>

but the only editor you have is vi and you are new here. . .
    hmm

try:

echo "nameserver 4.2.2.1" >> /etc/resolv.conf

and try over

5. Artush

Thank you very much, it`s now working:)

6. ramoncio

I think at least one nameserver should be set at the initial install.
    What's wrong with vi? X-D

7. Artush

Last week I have tried Trixbox, and there wasn`t nessesary of internet connection during instalation process. After instalation I setup static IP easily. I haven`t DHCP server in my network. I disided that in Elastix it is same.
    For solving problem I setup DHCP server in my Win2003 server & connected Elastix to that server. After instalation from internet I had <network configuration> in the panel :)

8. dicko

greetings Ramon:

FWIW:
    Also missing IMHO are system-config-network-tui, rsync, mc, nano, iptraf, bind-utils, jwhois and dnsmasq asap to add basic missing functionality, as the assumption that there is a functional DHCP server by Elastix is a little restrictive, and the lack of effective diagnostic and correctional tools is a PITA.

Although I agree that there is nothing "wrong" ;) with vi, (and for the edification of those who have never had to use it), it is a little confusing for poor old windows users who are used to Word in all it's dysfunctionality.