GRUB loading stage2read error

Discussion in 'General' started by infoseeker, Sep 18, 2008.

1. infoseeker

I installed elastix with the calling card module on my AMD system and every thing stared working fine after i updated the freepbx vr. I have already have customers list and have given out a few pins to firends. So i cant reinstall every thing from scratch. Now every thing was working fine until i turned the system off for a few hours thinking i should let it cool down. Any ways upon restarting the system there was a GRUB loading stage2Read Error. so i googled the topic and came accross a few good topics including
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... -2-259607/
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 10-435633/

I have tried every thing in these topics including installing grub on sda, hd0, hda and even /boot "(hd0)" however almost every time there is an error saying This file boot/grub/stage2 not read correctly or This file boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly. with the /boot i did get a successful installation but when the system restated it gave a stage1.5read error.

My sh-3.00# fdisk -l returns with

/dev/sda1 * linux (so this is the one that has the boot but is this a boot partition?)
    /dev/sda2 linux
    /dev/sda3 linux swap/solara

I dont know where to install the grub file and if i should make the root (hd0) or some thing else. could some one pls help. As u can see i dont have alot of experiance with linux and i would really like to save the data and time i have spent into getting the system in a running state. well atleast it was till i came across this prob.

PLS HELP

2. rafael

You should start the machine by booting it with the option rescue:
    -----------
    boot: linux rescue
    -----------

You have to know how the partitions are set. If you have /boot on the same partition as / or in separated. I am going to asume they are in the same partitions as it is how it normally works for Elastix.
    ---
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    -----

Then you should run:
    -------
    grub install /dev/sda
    ---------

It should work if you did not deleted the boot partition. You should point to sda and not sda1 or any other partition because grub is installed on the mbr together with the partition table.

Hope this helps you.

Saludos,

Rafael

3. infoseeker

ok i did that

went into chroot /mnt/sysimage and typed grub-install /dev/sda

it gave an error message saying
    The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly

I tried installing again with the same command and this time the error was
    the file /boot/grub/ffs_stage1_5 not read correctly

how do i fix this. I dont have any other OS on the drive. and i didnt create any partitions

4. rafael

5. infoseeker

So far nothing seems to be working.
    can you tell me in grub should i set root (hd0,0) or (hd0,1) also can u post how ur grub.conf looks like is the defualt=0 or 1 and splashimage=(hd0,0)?
    thanx for your grub file but i dont know how i would install it.

6. rafael

go to a linux shell and type tar zxvf grub.tar.gz, that would create a directory with the name grub. Enter that dir and you would see the files that grub install is complaining about. copy the ones of mine over the others. Again I do not know if it is going to work I am just supposing your files are broken and mine should be the same than yours.

(hd0,0) means -> /dev/sda1
    (hd0,1) means -> /dev/sda2

My grub.conf is inside the grub.tar.gz but has the name menu.lst. /etc/grub.conf is a link to /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Saludos,

Rafael

7. Barron

I had the same issue and I had not made a backup yet because I was not finished with the config. I had no boot floppy, so I tried the Elastix install disk and when it booted I pressed "enter" to stop the auto loading of Elastix and then it goes to the menu to select which OS to boot from, I pressed "a" as it is one of the options and it booted into linux like normal and I was then able to make my backup and did a complete new install. I know this was probably a fluke but I thought I would share that.

Barron