Grandstream ATA one way audio mid-call

Discussion in 'General' started by oneobserver, Aug 28, 2009.

1. oneobserver

I have a strange problem I need some help with. I have a client that has two extensions on a Grandstream 496 ATA at their site from us, that was previously hosted on a TrixBox box where the hardware died. So I reprovisoned them on our hosted Elastix box running version 1.3-2 with the Custom Contexts module installed. They are getting randomly dropped calls in mid-call, where the remote party hears three beeps and then can no longer hear audio from our client, but the client can still hear them. I have switched out their ATA with one with the latest firmware, which seemed to help some, but it is still happening about once a day. Call length varies from 2-15 minutes before the drop.

If I could figure out where the beeps are coming from, I could probably find what is dropping the audio, but so far no luck. The logs just register when the client hangs up.

Needless to say, the client is really getting frustrated, since none of this was a broblem on the old system. Has anybody else experienced this and if so, how did you cure it?

2. oneobserver

Still looking for an answer on this one. My clients are getting really upset with me and I can't find the source the problem. Has anybody else seen this?

markh aka oneobserver

3. jammerz

Is there a firewall involved?

Network config? More specifics.

Can you give more details and leave out exact IP information? ie. 192.X.X.X subnet 255.255.255.0, etc etc

jf

4. Chilling_Silence

Im with jammerz, sounds like a firewalling / NAT issue to me. Check with whoever manages the internet connection / firewall and make sure they've not messed around with things.

Also, have the person dial *43 and sit playing with the echo test for a few minutes and see if the call still has problems.

5. jammerz

Believe it or not I still run into this stuff...as simple as running a softphone from my friends place tonight I got one way audio...the resolve after configuring my parameters into xlite's mac beta was to simply plug in a stun server ( I regularly use stun.zoiper.com and tada!!! two way audio magic..

best of luck..let us know how we can help

jf

6. oneobserver

Sorry for the delay in getting back on this, it's been a short week and therefore everyone wants a piece of me...

In order of request:

The client is connected via Verizon FiOS with an Actiontec M1424WR router to a NATed local class C network. The extension is set up as NATed and connects fine. The PBX is directly connected to the Internet with a public IP address.

This configuration worked fine with the TrixBox PBX and has only manifested since the switch to the Elastix PBX. The only thing out of the ordinary with the setup is that I added the Custom Contexts module so we could force their calls out a specific trunk set.

Another point to make is that we are not getting getting classic one way audio. The calls go through initially and work for several minutes before the remote person get three LOUD beeps (loud enough that most people say ouch when they go off) and then the remote person can no longer here the PBX person but the PBX person can still hear the remote person (usually saying "ouch"), so after a few seconds everyone hangs up. The beeps always happen before it disconnects the remote audio. Almost like something times out and gives a warning. But looking at the logs, there is nothing there except the request to hang up. Nothing about playing a beep or anything timing out.

I'll have them try the *43 option for a while and see if that manifests the issue as well.

Any other suggestions?

markh aka oneobserver

7. oneobserver

Working on the system right now from the client's location and not getting the behavior. Washer repairman syndrome... :(

I did try the echo test and it is very clean with very little latency. I am adding back in the stun server setting to see if that helps or hurts and will play a bit longer with it. Any other suggestions to try would be extremely helpful.

markh

8. oneobserver

This is still happening with this client and I am at my wits end. The beeping has switched from the outside caller to the client's end now and I made no changes. I cranked up the debug levels in SIP and it appears to indicate that the connection for the client is going away for a short period of time and not being fully re-established. Our next angle of attack is to replace their ActioTec router with a DDWRT based router and see if that helps or changes the behavior.

markh

9. oneobserver

As I went in to do the router replacement, the client said that it had been working fine now for two days. I poked around a bit more in her Actiontec and found that although I had requested that the VoIP assist be turned on, it had not. I enabled it and then backed away from their system. Haven't heard a peep from them since then. Not sure what else changed, but I know that my ITSP was having issues during all this as well, but never fessed up to anything on their end. When their issues stopped, my issues stopped. Bottom line: it fixed itself and I ran away.