Got SIP response 489 "Bad event"

Discussion in 'General' started by snakeapit, Apr 14, 2010.

1. snakeapit

Hi,

Please help, I have 2 elastix box and one act as an exchange Elastix (server) and the other act as Elastix (Client) and I'm using SIP to trunk between both elastix box. SIP trunk registration work fine and I have no issue with my incoming and outgoing call on the client side. But on the Server side, I constantly received an error in my log "Got SIP response 489 "Bad event" from 203.x.x.x" where 203.x.x.x is the public ip of Elastix Client.

Elastix (server) ----------SIP---------- Elastix (client) 203.x.x.x

On the Client side, I have created multiple SIP trunks (5 trunks in total) and the registrations is working fine. But when I select the first trunk I created on Outgoing routes, it give me a busy tone when i try making outgoing call, same goes to second and third and has no trunk sequences at this stage. But the outgoing call works on the last trunk i selected in Outgoing Routes, and the rest was giving me a busy tone.

What could cause the issue of error 489 and why my outgoing routes only works with my last trunk i created? Any help would appreciated thanks

2. dicko

Basically, and first off, check that your codecs allowed between the endpoints agree.

dicko

3. snakeapit

Thanks for your prompt reply dicko,

Yea the endpoint are using codec g729, by using asterisk command of "show sip channels" i get the outgoing and incoming using codec g729.

I have tried remove the last/ 5th trunk from the client side, and reload the configuration in asterisk enviroment and run a test using the 4th trunk as outgoing routes and it works fine.

and the sip error message of 489 still coming on the log

cheers

4. dicko

You probably need to buy and install legitimate copies of the g729 license on all the servers you are trying to use it on , by default you have none.

dicko

5. snakeapit

Lol, I have brought 20 licenses of G729 from Digium for the client side. All endpoints IP phone are sets to G729 codec.

6. dicko

Then it wouldn't be a problem if you had them on the server side too.

7. snakeapit

Yea both server and client side have G729 codec installed..

I'm still not finding the issue of error 489 constantly coming out from the log, is it due to incorrect registration?

8. dicko

No, in my experience 489 will come up when you run out of licenses, remember that Asterisk is a "back to back user agent" so will probably need two licenses for each bridged g729 call.

Normally it's good to reserve you g729 licenses for you "expensive" or "restrictive" routes, let the LAN do the g711 stuff, it's far less invasive of local resources.

To reality check, does g711 work without problem?

dicko