Go Elastix or native Asterisk on existing setup

Discussion in 'General' started by bcnx, Jun 6, 2009.

1. bcnx

Hi,

I'm currently building an Asterisk cluster with drbd and heartbeat. One node is an exsiting Asterisk installation I will reinstall, the other I'm building as we speak with a Fonebridge PRI device.
    I'm currently at the crossroads of either using or not using Elastix to continue the implementation. Uptil now I did all the programming manually in the relevant scripts. I'm somewhat attracted by Elastix's features, but I'm afraid of loosing the flexibility of the manual programming. Can both co-exist? Also, the dialplan is quite peculiar with lots of conditions and stuff (ring 20 seconds there, then ring 10 seconds there, then go to voicemail). Can that be done with Elastix?

Thx!

Bart

2. Patrick_elx

Welcome,

you can still do manual scripting with elastix/freepbx however they will be in subset conf files that are usually called custom something.

The basic conf files will be rewritten by freepbx at any change then your modification will be lost. In the custom config you can add your own context, macro, etc that will not be modified by freepbx.

Freepbx ring group can let you do your complex ring timing, follow me, hunting etc... with a nice gui.

With Elastix you have the features of a web management interface with still the flexibility of manual asterisk tweaking for the specific scenarii that are not integrated in the interface.

3. bcnx

Patrick,

thx for this clear answer. It will be probably somewhat less educational to do it with GUIs and stuff, but it could definitely safe me time, certainly if things like the Flash Operator Panel are automatically configured. Is this actually the case?

Thx,

B.

4. dicko

Welcome bcnx:

I see you are a bottom up kind of guy. The logically progressive element perhaps you are missing in your development journey is that on top of asterisk is FreePBX and on top of FreePBX is Elastix, I think you will find the flexibility of FreePBX has grown to the point that almost any convoluted call control can be constructed and well maintained, you can at will override and customise anything you find that is not exactly to your taste. Or want to connect to a pbx or something .

Elastix add-on value is Icing on the cake if you need User Portal, Fax, Call-center and easy integration with IM or CRM.

[edit]

Unfortunately the FOP is only "nominally" automatically configured to a vanilla state but the script that does it is configurable to suit and you can add as many customised "panels" as you care too.

5. bcnx

Hi Dicko,

It is indeed tempting to have the best of both worlds. I'm downloading as we speak. As long as I have root access, I guess I can go whatever way.

Have a nice weekend,

Bart

6. Bob

Bob

Bart,

I enjoy building and configuring the native Asterisk every once and a while, thats what I started with.

I concur with what Dicko & Patrick have said, Freepbx/Elastix has now got to the point where almost everything can be done via the GUI, and if it doesn't, it goes into the custom files e.g.
    extensions_custom.conf
    iax_custom.conf
    iax_general_custom.conf

just remember files like
    iax.conf & iax_additional.conf will be possibly overwritten by upgrades and Freepbx respectively.

You will also find old favourites such as extensions.ael still sitting there ready to be used.

Regards

Bob

7. bcnx

Bob,

clear! Thank you for your two cents.

Rgds,

Bart