General question about fax setup scenario

Discussion in 'General' started by mihailenator@gmail.com, Dec 22, 2010.

1. mihailenator@gmail.com

Hello,
    I would like to verify with you a scenario that I am thinking of.
    This is it:
    [AnalogFaxMachine]-->[ATA(with IAX2 support)]--->carrying media--->
    --->[(IAX2extension)/(HylaFAX virtual fax) configured on (Elastix) Box with (T1 digital card)]--->
    --->[T1 Central Office circuit]

1.Is this an reliable solution for fax send/receive?
    1.1 If no - Why?
    1.2 If yes:
    1.2.1 Is it necessary that the ATA must have IAX2 support and it should be configured with IAX extension instead of SIP extension?
    1.2.2.If the "carrying media" between ATA and PBX is a radio-link 1-2Mb/s what the chances are for reliable fax sending and receiving?

Thank you very much for your opinions

2. Lee Sharp

Gee... I am working with that right now...

No.
    1.1 If no - Why?
    SIP sucks... :) It is a timing issue. You can get a page or two, then the timing will go off and the call will drop. After a LOT of fine tuning, I can send and receive 1 page faxes almost all the time. Tow page faxes will never make it.
    1.2.2.If the "carrying media" between ATA and PBX is a radio-link 1-2Mb/s what the chances are for reliable fax sending and receiving?
    I am betting on that snowball kicking ass in hell over this.

What you need.
    A POTS line just for the fax.

or

An analog card that will pair with your T1 card and support a sync link line.

or

An e-fax type solution like the built in Hylafax, or myfax.com, or whatever. There are systems like the Ricoh MP171 that can "Fax" to hylafax and e-fax. They are not cheap. But a scanner and hylafax drivers are cheap, if you can train your users.

3. mihailenator@gmail.com

Gee... I am working with that right now...

No.
    1.1 If no - Why?
    SIP sucks... It is a timing issue. You can get a page or two, then the timing will go off and the call will drop. After a LOT of fine tuning, I can send and receive 1 page faxes almost all the time. Tow page faxes will never make it.
    OK, I agree - but there is no SIP in my schema - the ATA is IAX configured and talking to HylaFAX
    I am betting on that snowball kicking ass in hell over this.

What you need.
    A POTS line just for the fax.

or

An analog card that will pair with your T1 card and support a sync link line.

or

An e-fax type solution like the built in Hylafax, or myfax.com, or whatever. There are systems like the Ricoh MP171 that can "Fax" to hylafax and e-fax. They are not cheap. But a scanner and hylafax drivers are cheap, if you can train your users.

I have seen this Ricoh multifunction system. What is the difference between "Ricoh" and a combination "(AnalogFax)+(IAX-ATA)". I was hoping that an IAX capable ATA will "Fax" to HylaFAX exactly in the same way as "Ricoh"- isn't that right?

4. Lee Sharp

You are still trying to run a timing intensive communication (fax/modem) over a stateless communication protocol. (TCP/IP UDP) While more robust than SIP, a few lost packets will still cause enough jitter to drop the call.
    It sends the file to the fax server over TCP/IP and the fax server handles the fax communication. Just like your computer does not do fax communication when you send a fax to e-fax.