Gateway Problem

Discussion in 'General' started by Newcopia, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Newcopia

I have an elastix server setup using a digium E1 card for external calls.
    There is a linux firewall on the LAN for internet connectivity, updates etc. It also routes calls to a different LAN segment with a small number of extensions on it.
    Primary LAN segment is 10.0.0.0/24 with 35 extensions
    Secondary LAN is 192.168.100.0/24 with 5 extensions
    So far so good

I want to connect to a VSP using a second NIC and a dedicated modem so it is not sharing the internet connection with other traffic. The trouble is that when the second NIC is up elastix keeps changing the default gateway from 10.0.0.2 to the modem on the second NIC which is 192.168.0.1. When it does this phones on the 192.168.100.0 network get one way sound and I have random problems on the main 10.0.0.0 network.
    Different combinations cause all lines are busy or one way sound on the sip trunk so it needs to stay with 10.0.0.2 as the default gateway.
    I can change the default gateway in elastix under system > Network Settings but within a few hours it changes itself back.
    I have tried making etc/sysconfig/network read only but it also changed itself back to read/write.
    When it has the default gateway set at 10.0.0.2 everything works properly (until it changes itself again back to 192.168.0.1)

Any ideas how I can stop it doing this?

More info
    eth0 is the first NIC
    eth2 is the second I don

2. pjeronimo

I have the same problem. Can't understand what the hell is happening.
    This is happening on version 1.0 that i am trying to put on production, but I have version 0.9 working on the same place with same network configuration, it's actually the same pc, just installed version 1.0 on a different disc.

3. Newcopia

For a while today I thought I might have an answer, It could be that it is an IRQ conflict with the digium card and the NIC, But if it is happening on the same system with a different install then it must be something else. Very frustrating!

I have a second box that I have setup with a different E1 card as a test box, today I put in a second NIC, it is detected in the BIOS but centos cannot see it. Strange!

I am going to move the NIC and see if it makes a difference, failing that it is a reinstall using Version 1 and see how that goes.

Cheers

4. jgutierrez

hello Newcopia,

Have you tried to set the gateway for each network interface? (in the case that they use different gateways)

that will be in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    and in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2

5. Newcopia

Thanks for that I will give it a go, the problem is that it is a production system and I can't do anything during normal work hours, I have setup a test system and will try on that first.

Thanks for the heads up.

6. pjeronimo

I haven't been able to teste this, did you have any luck.

7. Newcopia

It is an IRQ problem with the digium card. So far I have not beem able to find a work around for it.