G729 Codec Issue on IAX2 Trunk

Discussion in 'General' started by raj, Aug 9, 2009.

1. raj

raj

Dear Experts,

After the long days of trial and error im very close to put two elastix machines in production but now running into one single problem for trunks

since i have interconnected both machines by IAX2 Trunk and Box B there is only 256KBPS Connection so having problem with more than 2 concurrent calls, tried to work out the G729 codec in hope that it will help but i was not able to get it working, i tried many diffrent versions of G729 but none worked,

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

My CPU Info: Box A

processor : 1
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 15
    model : 4
    model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
    stepping : 1
    cpu MHz : 3200.501
    cache size : 1024 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 2
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 1
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 5
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl cid cx16 xtpr
    bogomips : 6399.29
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

CPU INFO BOX B

processor : 1
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 23
    model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz
    stepping : 10
    cpu MHz : 2800.134
    cache size : 3072 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 2
    core id : 1
    cpu cores : 2
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 13
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
    bogomips : 5599.89
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ramoncio, Rafael, Rajan, Dicko, Jgutierrez Sir,

please help i have very limited time running on a deadline and my requirment is 5 concurrent calls on IAX2 Trunk, please help if anyone like to access my machine i will give access info.

Im so much underpressure.

Thank you very much in advance friend.

2. dicko

The g729 codec that ships with Elastix (from Digium) works as advertised , are you aware though that you need to pay a license fee to Digium to use it though? ($10 per concurrent channel, 2x5 needed in your case).

http://store.digium.com/productview.php ... =G729CODEC

Also be aware that you can't use dtmfmode=inband with other than g711 codecs.

3. raj

raj

Thank you Dicko Sir,

so which codec i should use for my setup? to make 5 concurrent calls with 256KBPS of speed on elastix box2 on box one i have 4mb connection so that im side im not worried please advise the best codec because i need to put this machine in production in a days time.

Thank you very much.

4. dicko

5. raj

raj

Thank you again for your time,

i tried using gsm but call quality was very poor, with gsm the calls were sounding robotic, is there a way to improve voice quality with GSM?

6. dicko

No way to "improve it" it is what it is if the call quality is below expectations then almost certainly network/QOS problems not the codec per se.

Remember it is using IAX2 so you need the IAX2 (UDP/4569) protocol to be top of your QOS queue NOT RTP in this case. (this rule pertains to any codec you choose over an IAX2 trunk)poor

7. raj

raj

How about using SIP Trunks between two Elastix Boxes? as i dont have a firewall or port issues im on VPN at Router Level, can we connect two Elastix with Sip Trunks? if yes would there be again codec issue?

8. dicko

I suggest you could benefit by a few hours at http://voipinfo.org for a deeper understanding of trunking, bandwidth management, QOS and all thing VOIP.

The lowest overhead is an IAX2 trunk, if you throw in VPN, please realise unless you have high end hardware based VPN's then the extra bandwidth and delay introduced can really spoil your day. And any QOS would need to be done on all traffic on the router and before the VPN

9. raj

raj

Thank you very much for your time Sir.

10. raj

raj

Dicko Sir can you help me install G726 codec? my CPUs are as mentioned above please help me download correct g726 codecs, in my Elastix its already there but when i put it trunks allow=g726 it doesnt work and gives all circuits are busy message but when i specify in extension it works. please help me make it work as i want to try this for my IAX2 trunk if you would like to access my Elastix i can give you access info.

11. dicko

:) :)

Not until you follow my suggestion which was:

I suggest you could benefit by a few hours at voipinfo.org for a deeper understanding of trunking, bandwidth management, QOS and all thing VOIP.

I add codec usage and compatability.

I personally think you are "turd-polishing", in other words you are trying to fix problems, but you chose the wrong turd.

There is nothing wrong with IAX2 trunking and ANY codec, given any limitations, again ensure your network is rock solid BEFORE you even log into Asterisk.

You can play with asterisk until the cows come home but until the network is impeccable, you are wasting your time.

12. raj

raj

Just purchased G729 codec 5+5 licenses for two of my Elastix Machines, Register and Installed,
    g729 show licenses shows its available for 5 channels on each server, but when i put it in trunk

disallow=all
    allow=g729

its not working and plays all circuits are busy now message, so tried testing it with Aastra Phones,

i put it in sip user extension settings

disallow=all
    allow=g729

and phones are working how do i enable it for IAX2 Trunk?
    Dicko Sir i read a lot on Voip-Info.org and hence purchased the licenses for it but there is no information on how to enable this codec on IAX2 Trunk? machine is showing g729 as available upon issueing commands such g729 show licenses, show version, show hostid.

any help please?

13. dicko

Now it's time for "Elastix Without Tears" and exploring the many posts on these fora regarding asterisk-to-asterisk IAX2 trunking. Pay attention to contexts (user/friend/peer), and allowed codecs within these contexts.

14. raj

raj

Thank you Sir, i will surely read that as im going deeper and deeper on Elastix, but right now im in a fix that i must fix, im stuck some where and cant even go home please help for now. and Promise in few weeks time i will start helping people after reading Elastix Without Tears and going through whole of Voip-Info.org, but at this moment i need help. wish i could explain.

15. raj

raj

My Current Trunk settings:

disallow=all
    allow=g729
    host=192.168.10.14
    qualify=yes
    secret=xxxx
    type=peer
    username=X000
    insecure=very

on both machines its same except IP and username/secret.

16. dicko

You might try adding

context=from-internal

17. raj

raj

Thanks, i added that still no luck, same message being played.

18. raj

raj

If i use gsm for the same trunks it works fine.

19. jgutierrez

What I have done after the install of g729 (free or paid version) is to do:

amportal stop
    service asterisk stop (until it says failed)
    amportal start

If you still have problems, you may contact me at:
    jgutierr_007@hotmail.com

20. raj

raj

jgutierrez Sir, Thank you very much for the response.

i did that sir what you suggested, and yes G729 is purchased 5 licenses each, and then contacted Digium they fixed but they edited this files iax.conf, iax_additional.conf,iax_general_additional.conf manually and it started working, while the Digium Engineer was still on i made changes on GUI and all settings were gone and it stopped working again then he made the changes again and it started working again and he gave me all the changes he has made in trunk and other files, now im afraid if i make some changes on GUI it will go again. please advise how do i apply those changes from GUI instead?