FxoTune

Discussion in 'General' started by akroom, Jul 31, 2009.

1. akroom

i have dahdi 2.2 the problem is fxotune doesn't work and gives the following message

/dev/zap/252 absent: No such file or directory

it used to work before i did the upgrade to 2.2

any ideas?

thanks in advance

2. dicko

I believe you refer to fxotune -s

which is run as part of the startup process

consider perusing:

man fxotune

check our /etc/fxotune.conf file,

You probably need to run it manually if you move from zaptel to dahdi.

3. akroom

still the same problem, before installing this version of dahdi things were fine and i was not getting that dreaded message.

but now, i think the configuration, somewhere, needs to point to

/dev/dahdi

instead of

/dev/zap

where can i fix this??

thank you

4. dicko

I guess you decided to skip the perusing bit. :)

stop asterisk (or fxotune won't have access to the trunks)

run fxotune -v -i 2

to set up your dahdi devices (just like it says on the man page, where 2 breaks dialtone on the fxo trunk)

you need to use appropriate -l -m -n -t for your location also. Unless the code knows when to expect silence and when to expect a busy tone cadence (relevant to your location) then there is little point in using fxotune at all, just empty the /etc/fxotune.conf file, your errors will disapper, but you wont have an optimised ec setup.

caveat :

from the man page,

If you connect your device to a PSTN provider that is not in the US, there is a similar operation you should apply before even getting
    to fxotune: setting the opermode. The opermode sets a number of country-specific parameters. For the Digium analog cards this is set
    through the kernel module parameter

5. akroom

no dicko that all was so away from the target.. running fxotune from root directly, makes it point to wrong places..

the solution is (drum sound in the background)

/usr/src/dahdi-tools-2.2.0/fxotune -i 4

that will solve the wrong pointing problem.

6. akroom

dicko what do you mean by:

Well Yosarian you got yourself in a catch 22.

that sounds funny :)

7. dicko

Joseph Heller's Catch-22, poor old Yosarian couldn't leave the Air Force by saying he was crazy, as a crazy man would never claim he was crazy, therefore Yosarian was in the eyes of the Air Force sane (even though he wasn't !!)

8. dicko

Actually as you have two fxotunes on the system. The wrong one is in the path, and as you haven't done the make install in the dahdi-tools directory to correct that situation you will have to be path explicit not just for fxotune but all the dahdi_tools .

Surely Drum-rolls are for success, but if you want one for your work-around, then feel free :) :)

(Be careful, if you mix installing by yum, rpm and hand compiling you can get yourself in some really muddy waters)

9. akroom

quote" Surely Drum-rolls are for success, but if you want one for your work-around, then feel free :) :)

unquote
    drum was rolling for the suspence before i had to say the answer not for success

and yes, i've made install for dahdi tools!

10. dicko

Yet it apparently didn't complete successfully or the right fxotune would have been found . . .
    However if it works for you . . . (I prefer a more purist philosophy)

[edit]
    by purist I mean usually the process is

remove any previously rpm installed versions of the project
    make clean
    ./configure (if neccessary)
    make
    make install

my guess is you missed the "old rpms and the make clean" bits

11. akroom

does that mean, even if i do the fxotune with and it works, the system wouldn't read from the intended config files?

fxotune.con??

12. dicko

No I think that would be acceptable, (you did set up the opermode to suit your country and restarted everything before you did the fxotune -i and all it's other calling parameters to match the tone timing where you are with a regular analog phone first . . . thing, didn't you?)

You would have to edit the startup script to point to the "correct" fxotune binary of course not the incorrect one in your path which your current script is calling.

13. akroom

what is the director i should be on??

14. akroom

i updated Dahdi to the latest from Xorcom and still it reads to Zap wrongfully!

help help help

15. dicko

again, it's not dahdi it's dahdi-tools you need for the "tools" which include fxotune, If Xorcom don't provide/update them, they should. If you don't have echo problems, just delete /etc/fxotune.conf and no more errors. If you have echo problems, then unfortunately the resolution has to be from Xorcom, as they have "patched" their code from dahdi and thus from Elastix, yum will no longer work for you and this code-base because any missing dependencies can't be resolved by the Elastix repos.

Sorry, I wish I could help more, but as I said mixing installation by rpm/yum/DIY is not easy, but I have great success with Xorcom products but their documentation is muddled and far from an example of clarity. I tend to just go the old fashioned patch/compile install way,

http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telep ... hdi-tools/

this is not the right forum to follow that path though.

However good luck . . .

regards dicko