Fun with PicoITX

Barbanegra

Gear/Setup:
PicoITX with a VIA 1GHz C7 processor 40GB 2.5" HD running Elastix 1.6
Grandstream 4104 FXO Gateway
VOIP.ms IAX2 trunk for international calls
15 Aastra 9143i phones
Netgear PoE switch

I had been running a 64 bit Dell server with dual processors and decided to run the system on the PicoITX for fun. It worked so well that I left it on the PicoITX. Only 15 watts of power consumption. The UPS will now run all day. I didn't realize until now that Asterisk really doesn't require that much CPU (I just didn't want to believe).

The stress test was making as many simultaneous calls as I could with the phone I have -- including calling out and in on the FXO trunks. TOP didn't get past 0.2. The bandwidth usage was 2.1Mbps including ssh running iptraf.

The Backup/Restore had some problems tranferring the config from one box to the other. All the extensions show up in the config. But the restore doesn't work until one does a SUBMIT and APPLY for each one (and their followme settings). Is anyone else experiencing this?

Patrick_elx

Barbanegra said:
The Backup/Restore had some problems tranferring the config from one box to the other. All the extensions show up in the config. But the restore doesn't work until one does a SUBMIT and APPLY for each one (and their followme settings). Is anyone else experiencing this?
Yes, I had this issue many times.

Barbanegra

I have been searching the forum and have not found anyone really focussing on or even discussing the Backup/Restore prpoblems but instead going the MondoRestore route. Is this a correct assessment? Or is there a script that can be run to automatically submit and apply everything?

Barbanegra

Does anyone have any tips on where small systems like the PicoITX run into limitations? Is it merely a question of simultaneous calls being limited by RAM and CPU? Are there other factors to consider?

elastix-tob

I would also be interested in minimum requirements of Asterisk to create a stable telco system. I am wondering how it would run on AMD Geode LX 800 or Intel Atom Z530 based systems?

dingoland

Hi,

PBX in a Flash works well on an intel atom machine so i think there is no problem with this type of configuration.
They are more powerful than mini or picoITX systems.

Regards

elastix-tob

actually this has nothing to do with the formfactor, you can also get a Core 2 Duo on pico ITX (or 3.5 inch)...but good to know that the atom works well!

dingoland

I was meaning about picoITX with processor fixed on the motherboard.
I didn't know there are some ITX with processor you can "normally" change. :blush:
All picoITX i have worked have the processor not changeable on the motherboard, a lot of VIA chipset motherboards from 533Mhz to 1Ghz speed.

Regards

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti