Fun with PicoITX

Discussion in 'General' started by Barbanegra, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Barbanegra

Gear/Setup:
    PicoITX with a VIA 1GHz C7 processor 40GB 2.5" HD running Elastix 1.6
    Grandstream 4104 FXO Gateway
    VOIP.ms IAX2 trunk for international calls
    15 Aastra 9143i phones
    Netgear PoE switch

I had been running a 64 bit Dell server with dual processors and decided to run the system on the PicoITX for fun. It worked so well that I left it on the PicoITX. Only 15 watts of power consumption. The UPS will now run all day. I didn't realize until now that Asterisk really doesn't require that much CPU (I just didn't want to believe).

The stress test was making as many simultaneous calls as I could with the phone I have -- including calling out and in on the FXO trunks. TOP didn't get past 0.2. The bandwidth usage was 2.1Mbps including ssh running iptraf.

The Backup/Restore had some problems tranferring the config from one box to the other. All the extensions show up in the config. But the restore doesn't work until one does a SUBMIT and APPLY for each one (and their followme settings). Is anyone else experiencing this?

2. Patrick_elx

Yes, I had this issue many times.

3. Barbanegra

I have been searching the forum and have not found anyone really focussing on or even discussing the Backup/Restore prpoblems but instead going the MondoRestore route. Is this a correct assessment? Or is there a script that can be run to automatically submit and apply everything?

4. Barbanegra

Does anyone have any tips on where small systems like the PicoITX run into limitations? Is it merely a question of simultaneous calls being limited by RAM and CPU? Are there other factors to consider?

5. elastix-tob

I would also be interested in minimum requirements of Asterisk to create a stable telco system. I am wondering how it would run on AMD Geode LX 800 or Intel Atom Z530 based systems?

6. dingoland

Hi,

PBX in a Flash works well on an intel atom machine so i think there is no problem with this type of configuration.
    They are more powerful than mini or picoITX systems.

Regards

7. elastix-tob

actually this has nothing to do with the formfactor, you can also get a Core 2 Duo on pico ITX (or 3.5 inch)...but good to know that the atom works well!

8. dingoland

I was meaning about picoITX with processor fixed on the motherboard.
    I didn't know there are some ITX with processor you can "normally" change. :blush:
    All picoITX i have worked have the processor not changeable on the motherboard, a lot of VIA chipset motherboards from 533Mhz to 1Ghz speed.

Regards