from trixbox to Elastix

Discussion in 'General' started by bobwdn, Aug 3, 2009.

1. bobwdn

I have had a trixbox system at our work for about two years. One of the main issues I have had in the past was getting DTMF working with Grandstream GXP-2000 and Budget 200 extensions. We would like to buy nicer extensions but, the economy will not allow it right now. So, two questions:
    1. Does anyone have DTMF working with Grandstream extensions and Elastix?
    2. What extension manufacturer do "most" users find the simplest to use?

2. ramoncio

Hi bobwdn, wellcome to the forum.
    Get IP phones. Those gateways are meant just in case you need to use old analog phones. If you don't have them already then get IP phones.
    If your budget is short then go for ATCOM phones. There are even cheaper brands, but the quality and support is too bad, I wouldn't recommend them.

3. bobwdn

I wish my budget would allow purchasing ATCOM IP phones but, it does not. My question is, does anyone have Grandstream GXP-2000 and/or Budget 200 IP phones working DMTF signals on an Elastix system?

4. ramoncio

One more thing. I think the cheapest ATCOM model doesn't have tftp provisioning.
    Make sure you get a model with tftp provisioning, otherwise you will need to configure them manually one by one.

5. ramoncio

You said at your first post that you already got this model working with trixbox, can't you get the configuration?
    Elastix configuration would be the same or very similar. Once you get the right device config, it is not difficult to get it working with Elastix.
    If you want something really cheap get used atas at ebay. I got 6 Grandstream Handytone 386 really cheap last year. DTMF worked without problems.

6. bobwdn

First, let me thank you for your help. I will be switching to Elastix soon.

For clarity, I think my questions have somehow gotten confused. So . . .

Yes, the phones worked with trixbox, they just would not properly send DTMF (Dual-tone multi-frequency) signals to other systems we were calling. Yes, I am sure that Grandstream GXP-2000 and Budget200 (IP phones) will work with Elastix. But, will these Grandstream IP phones properly send DTMF signals through Elastix? (Because they do not send DTMF signals through trixbox and most of trixbox forums all say the same thing, "contact Grandstream support." All attempts at contacting Grandstream have resulted in no answers and ignored emails.)

7. ramoncio

I'll see if I can find it, I think I still have one of those Handytones. Usually the DTMF are sent ok if you use the right mode, but first check that there is no conflict between the internal ata dialplan and the Elastix dialplan.
    Usually you can access internal phone/ata functions and options with #01 or **, so maybe you have to change Elastix feature keys or the phone config so you don't have conflicts.

8. ramoncio

Maybe the problem was not with the extension configuration, but with the SIP trunk configuration.

9. bobwdn

Thanks for your time today. I need to create my Elastix server and try these Grandstream ip phones (BTW, these are not Handytone units. Handytone units will properly send DTMF signals, these specific IP phone models do NOT send DTMF accurately through trixbox.) Trixbox forums claim this is an issue with the phones and users should contact Grandstream support. Some non-trixbox forums report that "this or that" special configuration settings work. Alias nothing corrects my problem and I am almost to the point of replacing my Grandstream units with some other manufacturers IP phones.

Let me save your time and stop this post thread now. No sense in proceeding until I get my Elastix server running. (That could be next week or sadly, next month. Who knows, day-to-day business comes first.)

Thanks for your time. Goodbye for now.

10. biloa

Ilbc codec for Elastix ?

Hello

Is it possible to install iLBC codec ( instead of paid G729 ) with Elastix 1.6 ?
    Let me know more.

Bidjanga