fresh install of 2.0.1 in a vbox machine

Discussion in 'General' started by crainey69, Aug 11, 2010.

1. crainey69

Hello and thanks for the great product! We are testing it at work and may implement it as our main phone system. Someone else sat that system up on a dedicated machine. In order to learn more, I have set it up in a virtual machine in Virtual Box from an Ubuntu host.

I was able to install the virtualbox guest additions but, the machine still consumes much of my processor power even when active. I found some posts regarding CentOS that said to set divider=10 as a kernel boot parameter in grub to resolve that. When I do that, it causes a soft lock of dahdi at boot. I don't have any add in cards.

My question is.. Do I need dahdi? I don't have any add in cards. If I disable it at boot, it boots fine and doesn't tax my processor. I haven't even jumped into configuring it yet so I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions as I progress. I do have Elastix without tears and will use it to the best of my ability.

Right now, I would like to get beyond this one question. Because I'm only playing with it, I can deal with the extra processor load while I'm playing if I have to and leave it as is. If I can disable dahdi, and be ok, I'll be very happy.

On an unrelated question, I have my router configured to forward all incoming port 443 traffic to the elastix vm which is using a bridge to the host system. I can't get to it from outside my own home. Is that something that is set up in Apache to only allow clients from local network or do I have something else wrong.

When I get it all working, what ports do I need to forward to the elastix machine?

Thanks for all or partial answers

Cory

2. crainey69

update:

I did a little research. I set divider=500. I think that will set the clock speed of the system at 500 MHz. Having a bit of trouble finding the minimum system requirements. I plan to only set up like 2 test extensions. Is 500 enough? And still, do I need dahdi at all?

3. crainey69

update:

I did a little research. I set divider=500. I think that will set the clock speed of the system at 500 MHz. Having a bit of trouble finding the minimum system requirements. I plan to only set up like 2 test extensions. Is 500 enough? And still, do I need dahdi at all?

4. dicko

More research will reveal that you can't successfully run asterisk under VirtualBox, it's level of virtualization allows neither pci cards (at all) or dahdi-dummy, the timer that allows conferencing and Music on Hold to work (barely), so yes at this point in time you need dahdi if you want those functions.

It is however more than enough to use as a sand-box and play with it, just don't expect it to work well, or believe that a real machine will work as badly :)

nmap is a good tool for looking at what's available on the external interface of your box and netstat equally so for what is running on the box itself, both have extensive help at man nmap and man netstat, they wil also both help you to diagnose and setup firewalls appropriately, and no 443 should be available if allowed and redirected through the firewall, that must be a misconfiguration somewhere else

dicko

5. crainey69

Thanks.. my intention was to set it up so I could have two extensions set up and set up a trunk so I could get in to one of those extensions via the trunk. Like I said, I have no pci cards that would have anything to do with it. Right now, I only want to use softphones for testing.

divider=500 seems it to keep it's interruption of the host system to a minimum if it's enough to have it answer the phone and forward to a softphone I'm good. I'm looking into why I can't go out of my house and back to it on port 443 because I do have router set to port forward 443 to the elastix machine.

6. dicko

run nmap -v <the external IP of your firewall> if 443 shows up then use netstat -nat on the Elastix machine to see if the connection was made and is from where you expected and tcpdump port 443 to watch the expected traffic.