Forwarding diff incoming routes seperately

Discussion in 'General' started by Suthern, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Suthern

Howdy!

We have two service numbers ending in 6688 and 4960. I have two incoming routes setup. Each one prepends "1:" or "2:" (depending on the number dialed), then dumps the caller into a 'service queue'.

During the day the queue rings two phones and shows the caller ID with 1: or 2: in front of it.

During the night when nobody is in office we'd like to be able to forward all calls that came through one incoming route to one number, and all the calls that came through the other incoming route to another number.

Not only during the night, but also on weekends, holidays...etc.

What is the cleanest way to do this in FreePBX/Elastix?

Thanks ahead of time!

2. dicko

I suggest you initially send your inbound routes to "Time Condition"s (and "Time Groups" for the holiday thingy), available in the Unembedded FreePBX interface. They are designed to do exactly as you ask

3. Suthern

That would work great for a simply "If during business hours, do X. Otherwise do Y", but the challenge I have is a little greater. Sometimes the dispatchers leave early or arrive late, sometimes they both need to leave the office at the same time..etc

What we need is a way for a dispatcher to hit a 'Forward Route 1' button, then type in the number to forward to, and know that all calls through that route are now correctly forwarded.

The flow might look something like this:
    • Incoming call is routed through the correct route
    • Some kind of "Forwarding set?" check:
      • if YES, then forward call to specified number
      • if NO, then send call to service queue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a setup like this?

4. dicko

It can do that by associating that condition to a day/night condition, as so documented on the page.

5. Suthern

Ahhh, I'm starting to understand more.

That is much closer to what I'm looking for, thanks for the help so far.

So now I have a day/night mode setup for calls through route 1. I can turn the forwarding on and off using a feature code, but changing WHERE the 'night' mode forwards too is not straight forward for the dispatchers. Sometimes they will want to forward it to their own cell phones but at other times they will want to forward it to THIS field tech, or THAT field tech..etc.

With a regular phone (not PBX), they simply hit the line button for the line they want to forward, then dial *72, then the destination number.

So what I'm thinking to do is set up the 'day' mode to the queue, and the 'night' mode to a 'route 1' extension. Now I simply need an easy way to change where 'route 1' forwards to. Perhaps a macro? This way the dispatcher would simply have to dial *382, then dial the macro and then dial the number to forward to.

So now I'm off to look at macros. :_)

6. dicko

as does *72 work in Elastix, "Elastix Without Tears" (IMHO an essential read, you should try it :) ) and "Feature Codes" in FreePBX for many more forwarding options, also the "Follow Me" web page might suit your dispatchers if using a browser is "straight forward" enough for them . .

7. Suthern

Yes, *72 works, and I know how to forward the dispatchers desk phones. But this does not forward SPECIFIC INCOMING ROUTES. *72 forwards specific desk phone extensions.

What I'm trying to do is forward all calls through a particular route to a SPECIFIED WHEN SET UP forward number.

The calls normally come into a queue which rings multiple phones. What I'm setting up is a way for anyone to dial a certain feature code, then dial a destination number. This complete action completes two things:

1. Switch the day/night mode for the particular route to 'night'.
    2. Change where the 'night' mode forwards, to the destination-dialed number.

This does not effect normal calls coming into any particular desk phones, just calls coming through a particular incoming route.

Does that make sense?

And yes, I've printed out Elastix Without Tears and have used it quite a few times for reference. :) Excellent read!

8. dicko

Then perhaps at night send the inbound to a "dummy" extension that has follow me enabled and give your dispatchers access to that extension at http://<elastix box>/recordings to control the follow me destination. Or write a custom-context to acheive your specific aims.

9. Suthern

Thanks for your help! I'll look into multiple options.