Forward directly to voicemail - How to implement?

Discussion in 'General' started by mike.strock, Jan 7, 2009.

1. mike.strock

I'm currently implementing, along with a consultant, a new Elastix system for my office. This is my first Elastix system, but will definitely not be my last.

One of the features I've been ask to provide is transfer directly to a person's voicemail.

For example, if a call comes in to someone, they can forward it to someone else and have it go directly to their voicemail and not ring their phone, whether the person that the call is forwarded to is currently on the phone or not.

Thoughts?

Thank you. This is probably a rudimentary question, but I've search all over and have not been able to figure it out.

Thank you.

Elastix 1.4, Polycom IP 430 phones.

Mike.

2. Patrick_elx

with the GUI you can probably create dummy extension number and declare each of them to go to the appropriate voice mail if nobody answer. as these extensions will not be connected, they will by default go to the associated voice mail.

That will work if you don't have too many extensions.

example:

you have extension 201 to 210

you create extensions 601 to 610 and link them to the voicemail of 201 to 210.

If you want to do it a nicer way, you can create the extension in the custom_ext with something like:

exten => _6XX,1,Voicemail(2${EXTEN:1}@default,b)
    exten => _6XX,n,Hangup()

That was my 2 cents suggestion, but please double check as I'm really a rookie with Elastix.

3. mike.strock

I have extensions 201-208, and if I create dummy extensions 601-608, I can then tell the people to transfer to those extensions.

Would seem like such a big deal, but they are going to get used to transferring people the regular way, and I was hoping there was a simple way I could have them type something like 9,extension and it would go straight to voicemail (using their normal 201-208 extension instead of the dummy 601-608).

It seems like a dumb idea, and simple to train people to do this, but they've had this functionality with their ancient phone system, and they will be reluctant to change I fear.

Thanks for the idea though. I'll try it on my test box.

Mike.

4. Patrick_elx

then just create extension 9201, 9202, ... instead of 601, 602, ...

and tell your staff to dial 9 + extension to forward to voicemail without ringing.

or in your custom ext:

exten => _92XX,1,Voicemail(${EXTEN:1}@default,b)
    exten => _92XX,n,Hangup()

but just make sure that you are not using the 9 for the outside line or you will have to double check your dial plan to avoid conflict

Patrick

5. mike.strock

That is such a simple solution. I appreciate the help.

Once final question on this - If I implement this, is there anyway for the email to actually be put into the 201,202,203,204,xxx mailbox instead of the separate 9201,9202, etc mailbox?

Mike.

6. Patrick_elx

the
    exten => _92XX,1,Voicemail(${EXTEN:1}@default,b)
    is sending to the voicemail of your extension 201, 202 etc...

when you dial 9201, ${EXTEN:1} returns only the extension without the 1st digit ie 201. For the user they have only one voice mailbox.

7. Bob

Bob

Mike,

Unless I have read your request incorrectly, you are correct there is a very easy solution.

Interesting to read all the creative solutions however.

If have a call and need to transfer to that caller direct to someones mailbox (even with phone DND on or even if they are available), you just do a blind transfer to their extension with a asterisk in front of it

e.g. blind transfer to *201 which will transfer the call direct to ext 201 voicemail.

just like ringing *201 directly from your extension which would place you directly into their voicemail box, good for leaving memos etc.

The actual command (*) is set as default in the general page under Direct Dial Voicemail Prefix:.

Hope this helps....

Bob

P.S. Attended transfer will work as well, just remember to complete the transfer immediately. E.g. on linksys phones, press XFER 201# and immediately as the message starts press XFER again.

8. mike.strock

Thanks Bob. I do appreciate your help. That's a much easier solution, and will work well for us.

Patrick_elx - I appreciate your help as well, it's definitely a different way to accomplish the same goal.

Mike.

9. Bob

Bob

Mike,

Great to hear you can use it.

It was good to see the other suggestions however, as there is never one way to do things, as some have their inherent issues and drawbacks.

Whilst the *201 solution works for you and me, it might not suit the next person.

Some of these solutions also may form the solution for other similar requirements. Freepbx is almost like a meccano set, you can change the design and functionality so much. It was only when I was experimenting with the * command, that I then realised that it might work for transfers as well (which it did).

Anyhow one more solution into the Elastix cookbook.

Regards

Bob

10. Patrick_elx

I always thought that a blind transfer was to transfer a call without contacting the extension first (as in the attended transfer) ie if the extension is active it will ring, if not or busy, it will go to voicemail.

That's why I've never really tried it...

Some other nice stuff to play with with my elastix playbox at home

By the way, does anyone have a nice end user's guide 'primer' that explains all the functions available that we can edit to remove the unused function or change the feature code if needed?

11. Bob

Bob

If I am reading it correct, your understanding is correct of attended and blind transfer.

Blind Transfer
    Passes the call to another extension. At the point that you have done the Blind transfer, you have passed control of the so that the call is handled by Asterisk and the extension that you transferred it to. You cannot retrieve the call (unless you do a call pickup).

Attended Transfer
    In an attended transfer you call the extension, and they answer (and you normally tell them who you are transferring). At all times you maintain control of the call, until you press that final command that transfers the call. Only then do you lose control of the call.

Blind transfer is a method used when
    1) You just need to get the call off your extension immediately and to the final receiving party (you have other calls on hold or coming in)
    2) When are passing the call to an function of the PBX such as IVR, Ringgroup, Conference, Voicemail. All of these functions do not have a extension to talk to, and furthermore the message (e.g. IVR Announcement, Voicemail Instructions), you want the caller to hear in total. If you perform a Attended transfer, you end up hearing part of the message until you press the final transfer key, which means that the caller hears half an announcement which is not useful and not professional....

Regards

Bob