First time Elastix deployment in a small office

Discussion in 'General' started by tempura, Aug 23, 2009.

1. tempura

Good Day!!

After spending the better half of the day reading this website, asterisk, and this forums. I am about to change the plan our company is about to make in the next few days.

Our office is set to purchase either a Panasonic KX TDE 100 or a Siemens hipath 3500 propriety phone system. We really have no need for IP telephony right now, but majority of the features we want require very expensive modules on the propriety brands I just mentioned. Some of them are:

1. voice mail, voicemail to email
    2. Auto call attendant, auto change depending on time or date
    3. software based fax receive
    4. call recording, monitoring, accounting
    5. future proof for possible call/contact center application (product support, we don't like outsourcing)

I am planning on deploying Elastix on a IBM PC clone, using the following modules from OpenVox
    A. D110E -- 1-Port E1/T1 PRI PCI Express Card
    http://www.openvox.com.cn/products_deta ... =47&id=149
    B. 2 units of A1200P 12-port FXO/FXS analog card
    http://www.openvox.cn/store/a1200p-p-28 ... 1894c.html

Then I shall just use the cheapest available single line analog phones here.

My questions are:

a. Are those devices by OpenVox supported by Elastix? Has anyone here actually tried them.
    b. Is caller ID supported? Can it be passed to the individual single line analog phone units?
    c. My E1 PRI is just fractional, with only 10 live circuits. Will this be a problem?
    d. I plan to get an atom CPU, 1gb of memory, 1TB of storage.
    e. Are there specific questions I should be asking my telco provider regarding their E1 PRI ISDN line? To make sure it would work on this setup.

Advance thanks. I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions.

2. gmonsalvo

Hi Tempura!
    a. Elastix support the openvox products in fact it does like Digium Card (openvox are digium clons)
    b. Yes if your lines has CallerID activated asterisk supported and pass it to the extensions.
    c.There is no problem with that you just specified the channels in the configuration file, for PRI lines Elastix has a graphical configuration tool.
    d. The CPU that you need for en elastix server dependes on the codec and how many simultaneous calls you handle.

saludos!
    Gabriel

3. tempura

Thanks. Now I hope OpenVox can ship and deliver faster than those propriety units I mentioned. WIll keep my progress posted here.

Btw, do I need echo cancellation on my FXO card? (see link above)

4. haamed

I thing it is depends on your locality and your communication services !
    for example in out town the the PSTN signaling is sometime so poor specialty on the mobile calls and
    without canceler i have echo on these calls,

at first you can test without canceler !:)

5. tempura

Thanks for the answers. I am led to more questions, however.

1. What is elastix's s substitute to a propriety operator's phone? Other than using a computer with a headset + the elastix's flash based operator panel. Are there SIP phones for this?

2. Does elastix support caller ID? Will it be able to transfer/pass caller ID information coming from the E1 PRI line to my analog extensions?

3. How good is the contact center/call center functions included. We are considering makine a small department for product support, as we prefer not to outsource.

Again, advance thanks.