Few Aastra issues after 30 ext deployment

yesmat

Finally we have implemented the 30 extension site yesterday, and today. Here are some issues that we have experienced, which may help others in their future deployments:

1- Unable to deploy Aastra phones automatically using the XML script 2.2.1 if the extensions don't have voicemail enabled. So we ended up having to configure voicemail for all extensions just to be able to provision the phones then remove VM later for the extensions that do not require it. Is there a workaround for that?

2- Could not get "tagging enabled = 1", "VLAN id: 5" and "VLAN id port 1: 4" to work. Ideally we wanted to configure 2 VLANs (untagged data vlan 4 and tagged voice vlan 5) by using the above commands configured in the aastra.cfg file, but that never worked. we had to hash out "#tagging enabled = 1" to get the phones to receive an IP Address at all. We are using a Nortel switch and we struggled to configure dot1q on switch ports where both a phone and a PC were connected together. So we ended up removing the VLANs and run both Voice and Data on the same VLAN, which is not recommended. Any one used Nortel switches before could help here?

3- Do the phones support 802.1q trunking if enabled using "tagging enabled = 1" at all? The admin manual has no mention of the word "802.1q" at all. In this case what does tagging enabled = 1 actually achieve?

4- On the Aastra phones users had to press the "red hangup" button "twice" before they could actually hangup the call and be able to receive or make another call. What is this about?? simple things like that are actually annoying.

5- On a positive note, visual VM on the 55is is really great, absolutely wonderful.

6- Opefire 3.6.4 works well too.

Cheers

dicko

1, correct, the XML script currently relies on that vmail (from /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf) info to authorize, maybe aastra1 can clarify, you can setup voicemail but not enable it , that works, but who is going to enter "kjhkHHHjhsf7687" (the sip secret) if you you go the proposed alternative method?

2, your tftp server must reply on all networks, including VLAN's, it should serve the configs from the directory that is appropriate for the network chosen, or you will get the wrong aastra.cfg/<mac address.cfg> . so you need a cascaded set of directories to so do that with VLAN's, (or manually set the vlan and tftp server on the phone)

Interestingly, DNSMASQ (apart from it's other asterisk SIP life saving benefits) can do that tftp thing by mac address(prefix), and all sorts of other stuff (to support many lame manufacturer's non compliance), maybe you should explore that option as an alternative to the installed tftp server . . . .

dicko

yesmat

welcome again dicko :)

1- I never thought of being able to setup VM but not enable it. I will try that. if this works then I am ok with that.

2- With this customer we had 2 tftp servers. Each server was serving 1 VLAN only. A Windows 2003 server for the Data VLAN and option 66 was added to this scope pointing to the Elastix server. A Cisco router with the Voice VLAN scope also configured with option 66 pointing to the Elastix server. When we had VLANs enabled on the Nortel switch ports, phones and PCs were getting IP addresses from Voice VLAN only. After we removed the VLANs from the ports, only left the data vlan, phones and pcs started getting addresses from the data vlan.

I think I will have to build a lab with a Nortel switch an Aastra phone and give it a bashing until I figure it out, unless aastra1 has some feedback for us. He must have tried this before.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dineshr