Fax to email not working (from PSTN)

Discussion in 'General' started by telecomtechnician, Jul 17, 2008.

1. telecomtechnician

Hi there

I have created my Virtual Fax Server and extensions. From the HyLAFax client I can send faxes to an email, it is working fine, but when I call from a fax machine connected to a PSTN line, I call to the PSTN lines connected to the elastix server, I get attended by the IVR,I dial the fax extension(IAX), I get the fax tone and I send the fax. Until there everything fine. But when I check the email there is no email with the fax attachment. The fax is in the virtual server because I can see it, but there is nothing in the email.

What could be wrong, or there is something I missed.

Waiting for your comments

David Medina

2. bruce

I have the same problem. It might have to do with the way your ISP is blocking SMTP and probably you need to use FQDN. I am still trying to figure this out too...

3. signo82

Hi,
    I have a pbx with asterisx and linksys spa3102 to get call in and call out with my landline(pstn), and everything works perfect.
    The problem is that I can't send or receive fax from pstn line to my pbx or faxmachine connected to spa3102 fxs port. I try to send an internal fax from fax machine connected to fxs port to virtual fax(iaxmodem) and it works perfectly (got it in my email). So I think the problem is the conversion of the spa3102 from pstn line to pbx. Does I solve my problem with X100P?
    Or do you have some suggestion for me?

How do you connect the pstn line to pbx for getting faxex? It will be very helpfull for me.

I think I could solve your problem.
    Do you use internal postfix to send emails? If yes tell me because I have configured it to work with my isp service provider that require password and it send me the mail.

Best regards.
    Marco

I'm italian and you (bruce and telecomtechnician)? So we can write in italian eheh!!!

4. telecomtechnician

Thanks for answering Marco, by the way, I am from Venezuela.

As I said, I want to send a fax from a PSTN line, dial in to the elastix server and then when it answers it will detect the fax tone and receive the fax, then it will convert it to email and send it to me.

With the HyLAfax client (internal postscript)works fine, but no luck from the PSTN. I read that I have to put an ip range on the Email tab (RELAY button)so elastix can send emails to external ip addresses.

I will try to do more tests today and let you know.

David Medina

5. signo82

If the problem is only to send the mail outside your elastix I write you what you have to do.

How do you connect your elastix pstn line to pbx?
    Because I can't receive fax from pstn. If I send it from/to two internal number is ok.

I have PSTN-->SPA3102-->ELASTIX
    you?

if I call my pstn number, elastix detect the fax tone but then it doesn't receive the fax!
    How is the configuration of your pbx?

In /etc/postfix/main.cf:
    add these lines:

smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
    smtp_sasl_auth_enable=yes
    smtp_sasl_security_options =
    relayhost = RELAY_HOST

Then in the same folder create /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

and inside write: RELAY_HOST user@mydomain.com:pASSWORD

Where:
    RELAY_HOST: SMTP server of your provider
    utente@mydomain.com: username of your provider
    PASSWORD: password given from your provider

Then execute these commands:

chown root:root /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
    chmod 600 /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
    postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart

These package must to be installed before do that:

libauthen-sasl-perl
    libsasl2
    libsasl2-2
    libsasl2-modules
    sasl2-bin

6. telecomtechnician

Hi Marco

The hardware of my elastix server is a digium 4 port FXO card.

About the changes in the files I have to be careful, because is a production server.

David Medina