extension range limited

coryjsanders

When I try to create an extension 9000, 8000, 7000 and hit submit it does not take. I do have a 6000 and 6001. Have not tried to 6999. I looked in extensions.conf. Can find nothing showing a range of extensions. While I am moving towards getting time to read The Future of Telephony, can anyone tell me if there is a file somewhere that defines the range of extensions?

Also, dicko, sir, if you are reading this, I have a script that prevents extensions from dialing other extensions in a custom context (from-internal-xxx) that you create. Works! Thansks.

dicko

I personally can assure you there is no inbuilt limit on extensions you can define, I have built and used these particular ones myself.

It sometimes helps however to understand that "extensions" per se are just one example of "endpoints" which include all sorts of ring-groups conferences, page groups, parking lots etc. you will generally find these in the extensions_additional.conf file not extensions.conf and extensions_custom.conf, and yes FreePBX will not not let you use those until you have undefined them previously.

grep 9000 /etc/asterisk/extensions*

might expose 9000 for example, or just dial 9000 and see if goes anywhere (on the CLI)

It is really rather a good idea to have a good pre-understanding of your desired "dial plan" as a "step one" before you define anything, for example parking (and it's lots) by default in FreePBX are 70-5 (or whatever you define as to it's range) thus under the default it is generally ill-considered to use extensions that begin with 7 due to the complications and frustrations on timeouts and collisions.

For other reasons, traditionally extensions beginning with 1 (long distance commonly in NANP), 0 (the operator(s) ), 9 (traditionally for Centrex dialing in NANP) are discouraged. Unless you are mapping the Least Significant Digits) of DID ranges to extensions (IMHO a good idea if you use 4 digits) I advise to follow the conventions. (if you do the DID remap, be careful in your choice of "Common Blocks" offered by the Telco/VSP (avoid 0, 1 and 9) not without coincidence you will find they often try and "push" these ranges on you due to their unpopularity, if you use 4 digit extensions, I suggest you "normalize" your dial plan so conferences, parking lots, page groups and "custom" stuff are all 4 digits also.

JM2CWAE

diocko

(Again, please don't call me sir :) )

coryjsanders

dicko, I should probably just cut and paste your lashings from last month. I created an 8000 and 9000 conference room last month. It's getting late. I'll make up for it with my extension preventer script... Anyway, it's always good to get a mind dump from you. If I can't call you sir, can I call you diocko? Is that your Spanish name?

dicko

Hehe, no that's a typo please call me dicko, that is who I am here, I threw off my English feudal yolk many years ago, (Some of my Spanish friends call me Diego, some call me much worse I'm sure, but luckily I don't understand them ! )

dicko

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti