eth0: Unknown interface: No Such device

Discussion in 'General' started by Kripto, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Kripto

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and need some advice.

I have a test pc that i just installed elastix on, it has an on board network card: Chipset VIA VT6103.

When i tried to allocate an ip address to eth0 it couldn't pick up the network card, i take it asterisk didn't install the drivers?

Firstly i must say that i am very new to asterisk but i really want to learn so forgive my noobness.

Thanks for your time.

2. Kalama Sutra

Kripto,

Any chance you test box also has a NIC card added ? I had something similar with my test box < which is also my test box for Shorewall firewall-router, internal & 2 NIC's> ... my elastix install recognized one of the NIC's as eth0.

Might be worth a try.

JIm

3. Kripto

Hey Jim

No, there is definitely only one card installed and that is the on board network card. Thanks for the suggestion though..

4. Bob

Bob

Kripto,

It is most likely that the Network card driver you need is not compiled into the current Elastix kernel (which is not all that old).

I could recommend that you locate the drivers, recompile the kernel and away you go. Easier to say, but for a noob, unless you give yourself a few weeks, sleepless nights, a thousand questions, it is not going to happen...even I struggle with it on occasions...

I could recommend that you look for DLKM - Dynamically Loaded Kernel Module and see if the card manufacturer has produced a driver for this method, but I will be honest, it is still a pain if you are not used to this method. But a possibility for noob

So the following are realistic answers for your dilemma

1) Download Elastix 2.0 beta/rc and see if it recognises the card.
    If it does, then you know when Elastix 2.0 comes out as stable, it will be supported. This suitability will depend on how quick you want your box built or is it non-critical at the moment that you can work with an RC build....

2) My favourite, go to your nearest cut price computer store, and pick up one of the cheapest Network cards he has and install it. I have watched countless builders resist the move to put a card in the PC based purely on the fact that the machine has a network card already and they want to use it. They seem to get an emotional attachment to the card on the motherboard, as though they are going to miss out on something if they use another card. I have seen people spend more than $400 of time trying to get it working, when $10 would have bought them a new card and a lot more confidence.

Now one more thing to throw in, which is worth a try as I have some across it a few times now, and whilst I have not had the time to review the issue, it is a simple 30 mins to test.

What I have seen is that on some newer machines with new style network cards (e.g. broadcom), If the install of the Elastix (Centos) is done with no network cable connected to the card during install, it appears that the card is not detected. I have no great reason, but it is an issue I have seen on a few occasions.

So as a quick thought, just try another install with the Network cable installed, and try an install again, you never know... If you already had the cable in at the time of install, ignore this advice and grab yourself a new card.....

Regards

Bob

5. mbit

Hi

The best thing to do is run this command in your console

lspci

Find the name of the network card and write it down.

Go to rpm.pbone.net and then search with the name. This should bring up an RPM with the driver you need for your network card.

6. Bob

Bob

Trying to locate the RPMS for a noob is probably not the easiest way to go, especially with some of the new drivers the chance of coming across drivers is low and many of them are not released in a compiled RPM format.

Further more as the poster has mentioned that he is a bit of noob, the next part, should he find a file is getting his USB key or CD Mounted, as he does not have a connection to the Internet yet, will take a little bit of learning. No that it's big deal, but as mentioned above.....a single card - install - away you go....almost definite....

One basic rule to put in place, and it is one rule that over 60% don't realise, and the other 40% either ignore or forget until they need to remember it....when working with complex projects or concepts, especially when it is a project or concept that you are not used to..

REMOVE EVERY POSSIBLE VARIABLE THAT DOES NOT NEED TO BE THERE!!!

How many times have a I seen someone setting up a Elastix system, with TRUNK, DID, RINGGROUP, THREE DIFFERENT MODELS of Phone...having problems with incoming calls and asking what could be wrong??

Sorry to go off topic a little, but as I detailed above, simple, grab a REALTEK Network card, plug it in, it is almost 100% it will function. One Variable removed from the Elastix system as you move through other issues in setup.

Try and load an RPM, or compile a driver, and get part way through your setup, come across an issue and wonder if it was the driver for the Network card, or better still hang your hat on that being the fault, and be driven to insanity trying to check whether it was the right driver you loaded...

We all live in a very complex world, we don't need to make it more complex than what it is...

Regards

Bob
    (RANT MODE TURNED OFF)