eth0 fails at bootup

jcash99

newbie here, eth0 fails at bootup, fresh install on new machine. tried installing ubuntu 8.10 to see if nic was bad but it worked fine. reinstalled elastix same problem. tried online help and elastix without tears but i am stuck at root@elastix ~]# any help would be greatly appreciated

Bob

Jcash99,

It is possible that support for your NIC is not compiled in the Centos kernel. The quickest way to solve it is to install a well known NIC such as a Realtek 8139, or Intel Pro 100. The reason UBUNTU is working is that the support for this NIC is built in, especially in version 8.10

Can you perform the following command

lspci -v

and post any info relating to the Ethernet Controller

Regards

Bob

jcash99

thanks bob for the response
i don't know how to dump the command to a file but it comes up realtek rtl8111/8168b. also have a sangoma a200 installed if that makes any difference.

Chilling_Silence

You're in luck, the rtl8111 are easy to compile from source, and elastix has everything you'll need to compile it out-of-the-box, unlike other distro's.

So, goto here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... wnTypeID=3

Download the driver for the 2.6 kernel.
Copy it to a thumbdrive / memory stick
Chuck the thumbdrive / memory stick into your Elastix box
Mount it
Extract the driver with tar
change into the dir, and IIRC all you need to do is run:
make && make install
depmod -a
insmod src/rtl8111.ko

If in doubt, read the README or INSTALL file they included with the driver. Make sure you run depmod -a after a make install or it wont auto-load on boot :)

Cheers

Chill.

Bob

These cards also have a DKMS Driver. I have some notes around here somewhere, but in the middle of something at the moment.

DKMS is a method of implementing a driver without rebuilding the kernel. Basically you install an RPM that installs the DKMS base, and then you install DKMS driver (in your case a network card). At that point your system recognises the card.

Historically, driver support has always needed to be compiled into the kernel, but the DKMS method allows you to Dynamically install drivers without the need to recompile the kernel.

Have a google for
dkms realtek 8111 8169

also info is at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Ke ... le_Support. It also has a link which will provide you with the first part which is the DKMS RPM. All you need to find now is the Realtek DKMS driver for your card.

Regards
Bob

jcash99

thanks for both responses
my lack of linux skills is keeping me from elastix. downloaded the driver as suggested from realtek but without a gui i'm dead in the water. couldn't find the readme file in the download. don't know the linux commands well enough to get this driver installed. don't want to wear out my welcome on this forum with driver issues. been on the web all day trying to get past this, can either of you direct me to a forum for remedial linux. newbie here is going to need the exact commands

again thanks for the help

Bob

Jcash99,

I appreciate your position, and it can be a pain for the newbie.

If you really want to get into it and get moving, the most fail-safe way is to install a standard card into the machine and turn off the one built into the motherboard (I am making an assumption hete). Even a $10-$15 cheap card such as the realtek 8139 will work straight off the bat. Almost all the generic cards, sold by Electronic shops, local computer system builders, and many others, quite often have the 8139 chip installed.

The next option is to wait till I can provide you with step by step instructions for installation of the current card that you have. I do have the instructions, but I am currently loaded down with work, and they might need cleaning up for someone that has not done similar installs before. These intructions will not be a GUI, but at least line by line instructions performed at the Linux console. They also cover moving it across using a USB Key. This might be in 24 hours, or it could be a couple of days, but I will locate them.

Regards

Bob

jcash99

thanks for the help
went through some of this with ubuntu. when i try to mount the usb drive which has the driver on it i get error its already mounted. used this command "mount -t vfat /dev/sda /root/flash". tried using "modprobe usb-storage" same result
i hear you on the other nic but i'd like to get this fixed. also i'm in remote baja and computer parts are pretty scarce. won't have access to parts for about 2 weeks. if this app works i'll probably run into this again

thanks again

itjumper

I got my driver from :
ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/nic/r8168-8.005.00.tar.bz2

The easiest way is to burn the driver on a CD. Mount the CD, then you will not have to worry about file system. Copy the downloaded driver from the CD to /usr/src and use the following to install r8168 driver

cd /usr/src
tar vjxf r8168-8.005.00.tar.bz2
cd r8168-8.005.00
make install
depmod -a
insmod ./src/r8168.ko

then restart your box

jcash99

tried it all, took your advice had a $5 card shipped in. works perfectly. however is there a trick to configuring extensions. nothing shows up in extensions as it shows in elastix without tears manual and it's blocked out of freepbx config.

jcash99

keep plugging away. here is what i found on freepbx admin.

Asterisk Manager Connection Failure
Failed to connect to the Asterisk manager through port: 5038

have tried rebooting, fresh install, different ip addresses, that just about exhausts my skills. have a basic system realtek nic sangoma a200. nothing else. done hardware detection, checked the boxes, finds the card. guessing this is my extension problem. can't load nano cause can't locate repository. all over the without tears documentation, just coming up short.

any thoughts?

Bob

jcash99,

Can we go back to some basics....

The linux prompt can you do the following

ping 209.85.173.104
ping www.google.com
ping {your router)
ping {one of your telephone IP addresses)

Are you running ELastix in a DMZ???

Have you confirmed that under System / Network (ELASTIX GUI) that your gateway and DNS entries are correctly set.

Regards

Bob

jcash99

thanks for the patience. asterisk was not loading at bootup. so i started it after elastix came up and its running now. i can configure extensions now. thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti