Enpoint Configuration

Discussion in 'General' started by bbqtom, Feb 2, 2009.

1. bbqtom

Hello,

I have an Elastix server set up with Lylix. I would like to try to use the endpoint configuration for some of the extensions. Since the server is not on the LAN where the extensions are, what IP address should I use in the end point scan. Should I use the IP Address of the router where the extensions are connected

Thanks

2. dicko

It's not an address it's a network,
    note the / at the end, this is the net mask where /24 = 255.255.255.0 and /16 would be 255.255.0.0 etc.

The answer to your question is use the network you are querying but it wont necessarily work unless all sorts of rules firewall openings are set up on the router to the other network. (tftp, nmap, ping need to traverse the router transparently)

Edit:

Don't waste your time trying to explore your 192.168.n.0/24 network, your Elastix box can't see it.

3. Chilling_Silence

Put the box on a VPN, if you do the setup correctly then it'll work.

OpenVPN is your friend, read the HowTo on the OpenVPN website :)

As dicko said, aiming it at your Internet IP wont work...

4. dicko

Good idea Chilling,

A practical caveat though

choose the direction of your VPN correctly to suit your bandwidth, if you tunnel from Lylix to your network, you need to have the routing and DHCP servers set up on both ends to correctly to get the provisioning in and the VOIP traffic either back out through the lyrix box (and thus to the VOIP provider), or have enough bandwidth locally to do it in the other direction (that is from YOUR network to the VOIP provider, which unfortunately doubles your bandwidth requirements as asterisk is a back-to-back user agent unless you set up reinvites at all points, and hope that they will be honored) . Conversely, if you tunnel into the Lyrix box, you will have to do it in your local router (including it's DHCP server) not just the host you are using or it won't work for the phones in your local network, and further, both you and your router will have to be clever enough to NOT send ALL traffic, phones and computers, through that VPN, which would of course restrict your A(synchronous)DSL to an effective S(ynchronous)DSL limited to the egress bit-rate you get from your ISP (minus VPN overhead) for VOIP and also impact your other traffic and subject yourself to the limited amount of data you are allowed from Lyrix without penalty).