endpoint manager and cisco 7912/7940/7960 phones

Discussion in 'General' started by jedaustin, Jan 4, 2009.

1. jedaustin

The current setup for cisco phones doesn't work. I'd like to help out by fixing the endpoint configuration tool for these phones so that the next time I use Cisco phones it just works in Elastix.

Are all the files involved in the /var/www/html/modules/endpoint_configuration?
    Anyone have notes on how it is laid out?
    Is there a hierarchy for firmware files for different vendors/etc?
    I ask because I also have polycom phones to configure after I get cisco phones working for a client.

2. danardf

I had debugged this module, and now, this module work better!
    (detect the real LAN and not 192.168.1.0, add lots of address mac vendors) include into 1.3.2 version

My new module include the SIP binary for 7940/60. ;)
    And, I had debugged the PhoneDirectory (Work better, but not completed) :blush: .

What's your problem?

3. jedaustin

Looking at the directory script I uploaded I think the query needs order by name added; maybe more since I hadn't tried it with a real phone.

The endpoint manager in 1.3 stable only creates one file in the /tftpboot folder for Cisco phones which should be called SIPDefault.cnf but is called <mac>.cnf. Another file should be created called SIP<mac>.cnf that contains the extension information. I'm not positive but I think to get it to load the firmware it needs SEP<mac>.cnf.xml that shows it where to get the firmware files. Without some sort of directory hierarchy for firmware files I could see the /tftpboot directory becoming a mess in a hurry trying to support all of the phones that can be configured via tftp.

Also, for future versions you might consider a small addition to the endpoint manager that lets people add mac addresses to the database using nmap -sP -n <localnetwork>/24 | grep MAC and let them manually pick the vendor and model. As long as you make it optional and easy to turn off by un-checking a check box (some people get upset about apps that phone home) you could have a mechanism that sends you the first half of the MAC address along with the make and model of the phone so that future releases automatically detect the phone they added manually.

Anyway is there a straight forward way to upgrade the endpoint manager to reflect your newest changes or do I need to blow the whole thing away and load the newest beta version?

4. danardf

With "my" module, it's ok.
    SIPDefault.cnf and SIP<mac>.cnf are here. ;)

No. The SIP format and .cnf only work, and not .cnf.xlm . (Test with 7960: ok)
    SEP "Skinny", is for the config format no?

I had thought, but the development team would prefer to add all mac address in their database, (See the Wiki).

Hmmm, you can start from my modifications. You can download it here (not the last version).
    I don't have enough time now, for working on this module, because i should be dad soon (First time). So. if you want you can help me (us), to improve this module. ;)

Use the Wiki for information...

PS: PhoneDirectory is replaced by E_book