Elastix Woes!

zenny

I installed Elastix 1.0b9 (it behaved weird even in advanced mode and I had to reinstall. After the install it worked fine and then the machine did not see two network cards.

I tried to do ifconfig eth0 up and ifconfig et1 up, nothing worked. Tried with netconfig with static public IP and dhcp, didn't work?

It was never such pain with the old a@h, TB and voiponcd, but why Elastix is so hard?

The others bring everything up in half an hour maximum. Is it a bug with Elastix?

DStirrup

I assume you are asking for some assistance rather than...

Sounds more like Centos 5.0 woes if you have no networking.

Elastix uses the 2.6.18-8 kernel and that has some limits with new NIC's.

When you make the sweeping statement that all the other distro's work fine are you saying that the destination motherboard was the same for all of them?

For example I have a motherboard that uses the Realtek 8110SC chip which is not supported. What I did was install a PCI RTL8139 card, get the kernel-devel rpm and download/make/install the onboard 8110 NIC driver. Pull the PCI card and start using the onboard NIC's no problem.

-David

Post edited by: DStirrup, at: 2008/03/07 08:26<br><br>Post edited by: DStirrup, at: 2008/03/07 17:36

zenny

Dear David:

Thanks again, my machine has onboard Broadcom NetXtreme 5787 Gb Ethernet Card (HP machine) and when I tried to install the firmware from the Broadcome (src.rpm), Elastix does not allow to write in /usr/src. And there is no /usr/src/RedHat directory created either by default by Elastix.

And when I did uname -r it is not 2.6.28-8 kernel, but I found 2.6.18-8 kernel in my Elastix box. When I checked kernel.org, they are yet to release your version of kernel, the one that I see latest is: 2.6.27-rc2.<br><br>Post edited by: zenny, at: 2008/03/07 12:54

DStirrup

Sorry about the typo. It was meant to be 2.6.18 not 2.6.28! The Centos team are hamstrung by Redhat when it comes to driver support.

I just had a look at the Broadcom driver and it all seems simple enough. Use the 2nd method from the tar file NOT the RPM method... Download from http://www.broadcom.com/docs/driver_dow ... -3.81c.zip

Have a look at my other posting regarding Realtek NIC's 8110 for building the module and installing.

I have never had any permissions problem working in Elastix Centos 5.0 and /usr/src. Make sure you login as root or use "sudo"<br><br>Post edited by: DStirrup, at: 2008/03/07 17:49

zenny

Obviously I execute everything like root.

And I downloaded the same driver and when I tried (already) with the make, make install method, it says while executing the make command:

make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.18-8.el5/build: No such file or directory. Stop.

zenny

DStirrup

Have a look at my article. Pay attention to the prep steps

http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option ... IC+Install

The issue appears that you do not have the correct "kernel-devel" package installed and maybe the system map is messed up and the TG3 is ETH1 or something else other than ETH0. Have a look in in the ifcfg-ethX located in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices to see what is assigned to what.

If you notice in the process I remove the temporary NIC so the system generates a clean system map when "depmod -a" is run.

I would suggest you disable the onboard NIC's, start the install from scratch, get online with a temp NIC, make the TG3 module, halt, remove the temp NIC, re-enable the onboard NIC's and then complete the "depmod -a" & insmod installation process.

If I had a mboard with that NIC spare I would likely do it as a test to iron any bugs out.<br><br>Post edited by: DStirrup, at: 2008/03/08 04:56

adonisfigueroa

It can be because the kernel used by elastix is the version 5, your card could be supported by the next version of centos but elastix not support your card yet.

zenny

Thanks Admin (adonisfigueroa):

I could not make the Broaadcom NIC card to make work. I just installed a new realetek card and then went ahead with the stuff.

I am still trying to figure out various features of Elastix 1.0b9 and trying to figure out how the openfire xmpp server has been integrated with vtiger.

Once I am comfortable with Elastix, I shall try to write a short documentation for newbies.

PS: In the meantime, the packages mentioned at the link http://repo.elastix.org/centos/5/ha/RPMS/repodata/ referred at http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option ... elastix_es does not seem to be available. Any pointer where they are moved to as of now?

DStirrup

Zenny,

Did you fix the error about the kernel-devel not being loaded? If you did not then unlees you install the full kernel sources you will never be able to compile the module.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti