elastix v1.6 freepbx 2.5

Discussion in 'General' started by icenews, Sep 14, 2010.

1. icenews

Hi

I see that Freepbx 2.5 is running under Elastix V1.6

Any opinions on upgrading the Freepbx to maybe 2.6, 2.7, or 2.8 ?

Any issues ?

Thanks
    Walt

2. dicko

Many issues, you are NOT allowed to do that by Elastix, it will break everything on the next yum update in 1.6 , They know what you need far better than you and have re-packaged FreePBX for you, so just don't do it OK?

(on the other hand and you want to go rogue, you can search the fora for exclude=Freepbx for a possible work around ;) )

3. icenews

ok

Is there a fast way of uploading extensions & routes into a new box ?

The reason I ask - is that later versions of pbx have the ability to download and upload extensions.

Thanks
    Walt

4. dicko

I suggest you use the now mainstream but previously "third-party" FreePBX addons "Bulk-DIDS" and Bulk-extensions", but realize you are "breaking the Elastix rules" the Elastix version will only do SIP extensions, and that nort well, there is no methodology available for DID's.

If you care to you can use the Unembedded FreePBX bakup restore/process the files will be in /var/lib/asterisk/backup/<whatever you called it>

move it to the new machine, restore it ( you will revert to the old version of everything so restart all your services) then update using the FreePBX way, and you are of to the races (albeit sans Elastix' sanction)

(This WFM but make backups, make backups of backups and have a bootable image restoration ability in place (I suggest mondoarchive), I can't fix anything YOU do wrong :) )

dicko

5. icenews

Hi

This is a fresh install - so I can always start all over again.
    Is there no other way than to simply input all of the settings one at a time ?

How about the Elastix upgrade - do I perform this any ?
    The version I am using is V1.6 as of Oct of 2009.
    I'm sure there are updates since then - do you agree ?

Thanks
    Walt

6. dicko

I edited my post as to what is possible.

"Do you agree?" hmm, you are probably asking the wrong guy here Elastix 1.6 is absolutely hardcoded stuck at FreePBX 2.5.2-5rc. any attempt to update FreePBX past that will immediately break your box on the next yum update it will revert you to their patched version of 2.5.2-5rc, at least until they update the 1.6 repos . if it's not broke don't fix it, (is your box broke?) Elastix 2.0 is in NO way a fix, it is also as yet broken, I suspect that our benefactors PaloSanto aren't too pleased with me right now so I will say no more here ;)

Pretty well a Catch-22 here (apart from the work-arounds, previously mentioned) sorry.

dicko

7. icenews

Hi

What is the normal procedure in updating Elastix.

I downloaded the 1.6 ISO (dated Oct 2009)

Can I do a repository update ?

Thanks
    Walt