Elastix Upgrade

Discussion in 'General' started by jmorrison, Nov 3, 2009.

1. jmorrison

Hi Support,

I am currently using elastix version 1.2-4. Is this an outdated version of elastix??

If so please advise how I go about finding and installing the latest version of elastix.

Thanks for your support..

2. mattrh

Hello jmorrison,

Well you have two option on the table.

1. you can SSH into your server and do a yum update

or if you want a clean install (losing all data on that server) you can download the ISO

http://sourceforge.net/projects/elastix ... o/download

Hope that helps

3. jmorrison

I will definately have to go with the Option 1 Yum Update. The system was recently installed and is currently up and running..would be time consuming to re-programm all the setting.

Do you have any tutorial/Insturctions on doing the upgrade.

Thanks for the advise

4. Bob

Bob

jmorrison,

There are no special instructions as such, just the general rule, plan for a complete failure and that means backup, backup, backup so with that in mind....

1) Perform an Elastix backup (via the Elastix GUI), and backup all. When complete, click on the hyperlink in the backup list and download it to your workstation.

2) Bring all your modules up to date in Freepbx. This says modules, don't try and update it to the next version of freepbx. I think the version you have is Freepbx 2.4, so don't bring it upto 2.5.

3) Perform a Freepbx Backup and use WinSCP to download that backup to your workstation. You will find the backup in /var/lib/asterisk/backups

4) Obtain a copy of the disk that you used for the original install. If you can't find it, then download it from sourceforge (You could leave this step until you have a problem, but like I have found in the past, there is nothing better than having it with you in case of Internet issues or a CD Writer that won't write.

5) Even though they are backed up in the above, take copies of /etc/zaptel.conf, /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf /etc/zapata-channels.conf. If you have any special changes that have been added previously, you may need to reapply some of these changes (e.g. country, span configs etc) to the new Dahdi files e.g. /etc/dahdi/system.conf, /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf, /etc/asterisk/dahdi-channels.conf

6) If you are confident that everything is ready, at the console type....
    yum update yum

If I remember correctly, on your version, the yum fastest module was not implemented, which meant it could find one of the slowest yum repository and take forever....This one update first will implement the update to yum first.

7) then the big one
    yum update

8) wait for all the updates to complete, could take 30-60 mins depending on link speed....

9) Once finished, reboot the system as their are kernel updates and many other updates that could use re-initialisation......

10) Go in an re-detect telephony hardware. This must be done, as their is a major change from Zaptel to Dahdi. If you don't do this, you will end up with echo on your lines...as some of the parameters are written at this stage...if you have an E1/T1 cards, then maybe check the dahdi files generated against your copies that you made of your zaptel files.

11) Go into Freepbx and now bring all the modules up to date (don't try and upgrade to 2.6)...This may take several rounds of updates to make sure that they are all installed and updated.

That's about it.....start testing. Just one point of note, again I can't remember what version....you may have to go into each extension, ring group, queue, and press submit...but don't do that unless you seem to have issues with extensions not ringing etc....

Hope this helps.....but backup please. Whilst most upgrades go without a hitch (I have done quite a few from 0.9 and quite a lot more from 1.3 and all have gone generally without a problem).

Regards

Bob

5. jmorrison

Can you please tell what are the advantages/benifits for upgrading to a newer version of elastix as to staying with my old version.

thanks in advance

6. dicko

None if the old system works, If it's not broke don't fix-it.

7. jmorrison

:) Ok Sir,

Thanks for the advice...Guess there is no urgent need to upgrade then if doing an upgarde offers no added benifits.

8. jmorrison

Bob

I will be trying the method you have outlined, but before I go ahead I have two questions,

1.which version of elastix will I be upgraded to ?
    2.Is it true that the upgrade process can be carried out using the GUI

Please let me know as soon as possible and thanks for your assistance.

Regards
    Jason

9. Bob

Bob

1) I suspect that you will be upgraded to the elastix-1.5.2-2.1 version, however I could be wrong here. As you are aware Elastix 1.6 Stable has been released, but generally the Yum update of the stable is normally a week or so behind. So at the moment 1.5.2-2.1 is the most likely possibility. Once the Yum updates are available, then just perform the update again.

2) Yes you can perform the update by using the GUI in the update section, by ticking all the ones you want to upgrade, but generally this will be about 300 or so individual updates, and very time consuming. Performing at the Linux prompt is probably the easiest and simplest ways to go

Regards

Bob