Elastix stops receiving inbound calls...

Discussion in 'General' started by ian.d, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ian.d

21 views so far and no input... Please help me make my Elastix reliable!

Hello all,

I've been running Elastix in pre-production for a while and things are generally good. Lately though, my Elastix stops receiving inbound calls after being booted for a while. I have no idea how long exactly before it starts happening (and don't know how to monitor or diagnose this) but after 24h of being up, chances are it is not working. Outbound calls keep working as if everything was fine.

I'm running a relatively simple configuration: one IAX2 trunk to my provider, two inbound routes: a catch all accepting any DID/CID and one for the CID of my cell phone, one outbound route. I'm running 1.3-2 and have the call center module installed.

If I reboot my server or even modify and save one of my inbound routes, everything starts to work again. :unsure:

Can anyone help me out with this? I really need this system to be reliable before going into production! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ian

2. ian.d

*Bump*

Please, I really need help with this. :(

Any idea how to diagnose this? I at least need to know when this happens so that I may act on it... although it would be preferable to prevent it.

TIA

Ian

3. ian.d

Well, no input from anyone, but I think I have found the culprit. In case it can help someone else, here is what I suspect the problem was:

My network parameters had primary dns pointing to my internal firewall/dns/router and no secondary. I have now pointed both of these to my providers servers.

I'm pretty confident this will solve my problem, but its too early to tell. I'll report later on how it goes.

Ian

4. Chilling_Silence

Im not entirely sure that would work, however I s'pose its worth trying.
    You can always use OpenDNS:
    208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220

After you make an outbound call, does that re-initiate inbound call connectivity?

5. ian.d

No, the call goes out, but inbound still doesn't work.

I'll be testing my system regularly for the next week to see how it holds up and will report back here. In the mean time, if anyone has any input to provide, please, go ahead!

Ian

6. DaveD

When the issue starts to happen log into Elastix gui and see what memory usage is.

If it is high you might need to create a cron job to release memory

7. ian.d

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that.

8. ian.d

Well, it's been 6 days and Elastix is still working as it should.:) I'll conclude that the dns setting was the culprit. If the problem reappears, i'll post here.

Ian

9. ian.d

Arrgh, got the problem again today.:angry:

System status in the Unembedded freePBX shows IP Trunks Online = 1 but IP Trunk Registrations = 0. Memory usage is at 12%.

I'm looking into the "Monitor Trunk Failures" function. I'm hoping to find a script that can warn me when trunk registration gets dropped and perhaps fire off a command to re-register the trunk and inform me if successful/unsuccessful.

10. gbrook

Hi,

I use a script to email me when I lose SIP or IAX Trunk Registrations but it does not try to re-register the trunks.

Would that help anyway?

Cheers
    Garry

11. Chilling_Silence

What are your trunk settings ?

In particular, do you have any of the following:
    registerattempts=*
    registertimeout=*
    maxexpiry=*
    qualify=*

12. ian.d

That would be great Garry, Thanks! Every little bit helps!

Ian

13. ian.d

@Chilling Silence

I only just added qualify=yes a couple of hours ago, i can't tell if it makes a difference yet.
    I haven't tried the other settings.

The research I did today leads me to believe the problem is related to NAT traversal... I've tweaked my firewall's settings a bit, but nothing major. Mainly eliminated unnecessary settings.

I seem to be able to reproduce the problem at will by rebooting my gateway/firewall. I'll confirm that tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep.

14. gbrook

Hi Ian,

I have attached the file so have a look at it and if you think you wish to use it, I will need to provide some instructions.

To the best of my knowledge it is Open Source and I have made a couple of "improvements" to it

Cheers
    Garry

15. gbrook

Hhmmm - won't let me attach the file - provide an email address and I will send the file

Cheers
    GB

16. gbrook

Hhmmm - won't let me attach the file - provide an email address and I will send the file

Cheers
    GB

17. ian.d

GB, I'm weary of posting an email address on any forum, for fear of spam sending-email gathering spider-bots... I can't for the life of me find a "Private message" option on this board. Is there one?

18. gbrook

19. ian.d

Thanks so much gbrooks, I'm looking over the script now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Since last time, I've replaced my pc/linux based router with an old (relatively) Linksys WRT54GL running the latest Tomato firmware.

The router was previously running DDWRT and I wasn't satisfied with it's performance and stability, so I'd replaced it with the pc. I was getting worried about the reliability of my ageing pc/router and was considering replacing it with new equipment, but I figured I'd try this first.

Tomato is much leaner so it performs a lot better (for me at least) while still being feature rich. And I wanted to try out it's QOS.

So far, so good. If it works out, it will be a very cost and energy efficient solution! :cheer:

That said, I haven't had any ip trunk connection drops.

20. userfromca

Ian, What software were you running on PC/Linux router? Any specific firewall? Have you tried IPCOP? I am using it in front of Elastix for last six months (Even longer as firewall). It is great. I did not have to open any special ports for VOIP connections and I can now VPN in to network for remote admin stuff.