Elastix Routine Maintenance

Discussion in 'General' started by raj, Jun 7, 2009.

1. raj

raj

Dear Experts,

Yet another newbie thread, seeking your help.

need to know few things for the regular day to day maintenance of Elastix.

My Elastix box is almost ready to go into production with Digium TE212P Card for E1 (100 DID) 2 analog fax machines, Avantfax, Aastra IP Phones for total of 40 Extensions and customized IVR.

1. what are the regular maintenance requirements for Elastix machine such as reducing the logs or deleting the logs on daily basis or weekly basis? in order to keep the Hard Drive Space always available for recordings and Voice Mails Etc.

2. for the queue periodic anouncements i want to change default sound files is that ok? or would it cause a mess?

3. User Portals, as i heard that Elastix allows users to have their own portal for things like voice mail customization, changing password etc? how do i create that?

4. Voice Mail Unavailable or Busy message resides in which directory? i tried to search but i couldnt find as i want to change it with professionally recorded greetings.

5. Connecting 2 Elastix Boxes together (both in diffrent countries) what are the best practises? Using Public IP or setting up VPN? if VPN which is best Hamachi or Open VPN? any pointers for the setup guide?

As you all knew im a newbie and have just started with telephony and linux in general but have learnt few things from you and other communities, again expecting great response as always.

Thank You All.

2. raj

raj

No one responded :(:( :( :( seems like im asking way too many questions or asking all the questions in one topic :-? should i separate each? in its own thread? hmmmm dont know......oh well since i dont know i must keep requesting as im trying to learn ofcourse i have Elastix Without Tears but the question i asked isnt covered....but however thats a great job done by Ben and surely will help Ben in whatever way i could.

Romancio, Bob, Rafael, patrick_elx any one?

3. Patrick_elx

nothing to do, there is a logrotate that will keep only the last few logs, the others are automatically destroyed.

I would install however mondo backup to make a weekly backup to a remote NAS (you can find install script in this forum)

What are the periodic announcements? You can change some default sound files, but they will probably be erased on the next sound update. Better to create your own 'language context' folder and call that language in your extension when you want it. Or just add some custom recorded annoucements.

You can add users in freepbx and elastix GUI. For each new user you can define a profile and the rights associated with them to give them access to some parts of the gui.

Each voicemail setup is in :
    /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default

If you have static IP, go with openvpn. Little bit more complex to install, but you won't give the key of your kingdom to another company. The only interest of Hamachi is that's easy to setup and works well with dynamic IPs. But if you also want to share some LAN ressources between the two offices, I would highly recommend using hardware VPN (a lot of cheap routers/firewall are doing it now: Linksys, netgear, ddwrt, ... or even some cheap used cisco on eBay)

4. raj

raj

we have public IPs available so is it risky to use public IP?

Thank you very much for your great response Patrick.

5. Patrick_elx

These announcements are the same that all the others Asterisk sounds. My previous comment stays...

No, public static IP are what you need. Just add a VPN on it.

6. raj

raj

Can you explain this setup? please? like i dont need public IP but static IP thats what you meant?

Thank you patrick now if you could just guide me for Open VPN with Static IP.

7. Patrick_elx

You need a public IP (ie. routable) to be able to be reached from the internet.
    This Public IP need to be static (ie. allocated to you and not changing) for a stable point to point OpenVPN or IPSEC VPN. With Hamachi you can get away with dynamic public IP.

If you have a basic Internet connexion, usually your provider will assign you a dynamic public IP that will change every few hours. Static IP are usually an extra option with your subscription.

8. raj

raj

Patrick Thank you so much for your responses and your time responding to a newbie whos trying to learn,

Ok this our current scenario,

On Location A:

We have 4MB Fiber Link with 16 Public IPs (Static all) Cisco 2800 Router, Microsoft ISA Firewall DHCP Server and HP Server for Elastix.

On Location B:

3MB SHDSL Link, some Public IPs (Static) Cisco 2800 Router, and a High Configuration PC for Elastix.

we need to connect this two Elastix boxes those are diffrent countries.

We have public IP available at both of the locations.

My doubts and questions are:

If we assign Public IP two both of the Elastix Machines we wont require any VPN Correct? and it will be communicating smoothly without any NAT or One Way Audio Issues? and we can also use Sip Enable Nokia Phones with GPRS or WiFi such as Nokia E61i as Extensions for the people on the run. please correct me if im wrong?

But is it secure enough to use Public IP?

Ok now from Behind Microsoft ISA Firewall if use Hamachi or Open VPN would we get same level of Connectivity as with Public IP?

In such a case what would be the solution for Nokia Mobile phones?

Once again Thanks a ton Patrick, i need some help regarding Backup but dont feel right to keep bothering you.

9. Patrick_elx

You need to separate two concepts: connectivity and security

For the connectivity between your two boxes. It is far better to use two public static IP.

You do not need VPN to achieve the connexion between the two elastix.

However, as a security feature it is highly recommended for these kind of situation to create over this connectivity a VPN to encrypt and authenticate the connection. It does also give a better integrity of the connection frame order but induces a slightly increase delay.

I'm not sure what software you have on your two cisco 2800 but I wouldn't be surprised to see that you can create an IPSEC vpn tunnel between both of them. That will solve your issue.

10. raj

raj

Yeah correct i can do IPSEC Tunnel, but it wont help for Mobile as Extensions i think? by software on router you meant IOS on the router correct? its 12.3.

Thanks Patrick Thank you so much. this doubts are cleared now will be working on Backup now.

11. Patrick_elx

No, your mobile extension will be connected directly to your fixed public IP unencrypted (no VPN).
    You will have to make sure that the password of this extension is strong, and that the context this extension member is member of does not allow for too much internal rights.

12. raj

raj

Patrick dont know how to say Thanks to you, its just great your support, the time taken for responding and everything, and surely after learning will give back to community as much i could.

now i need backup solution.

As we have NAS where we store our Backup of Microsoft Servers such as Exchange, SQL etc, to this NAS using Symantec Backup Exec.

could we achieve efficiency with Mondo Backup? Any Pointers Patrick? i read the script available on forum but beyond my understanding, need explaination.

13. Patrick_elx

wget http://www.astusers.org/install-mondo.tgz
    tar -xzvf install-mondo.tgz
    chmod +x install-mondo.sh
    ./install-mondo.sh
    --------------------------------------------------------
    reboot once the install completes, then you will need to edit /etc/cron.weekly/mondobackup.cron and turn on one of the various backup methods, instructions are in the cron script itself.
    to test run /etc/cron.weekly/./mondobackup.cron
    you should see some iso files under /backup and anywhere else you configured the script to send them.
    Restoring:
    http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/mondorescue-howto.pdf

14. raj

raj

Thank you patrick, I installed it already long back but im not able to configure it, i need help for sending the backups to NAS, or to any external media such as External Hard Drive or CD/DVD. i tried burning CDs but it always failed i tried so many but it never worked, but when i choose Hard Drive Backup it does saves the Backups on /root/images/mondo/ with .iso extensions.

But i need to automate this process, i dont know how to edit crontab and how to read it, i meant i dont understand lines in Crontab.

By the way i installed mondo using DaveD's instructions on forum my adding the mondo repos yum list mondo and yum install mondo does that makes a diffrence?

15. Patrick_elx

you need to open the cron file, change the lines that need to be changed and save it.

The file is /etc/cron.weekly/mondobackup.cron

you can open it directly from your server with vi or do it remotely with scp (refer to Elastix Without Tears)

If you want to ftp to a NAS, edit the info after
    #<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<FTPInfoBegin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you want to use samba to a NAS or server, edit the info after
    #<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SMBShareInfoBegin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And then in the
    #<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Backup Switches>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

if you want to use samba change CPSMB="0" to CPSMB="1"
    if you want to use ftp change CPFTP="0" to CPFTP="1"

Everything is documented in this file. You only have to read it and make the required changed for your system.

16. raj

raj

Thank you patrick i will follow your instructions and will keep you updated.

17. raj

raj

--------------------------------end of output------------------------------
    ...ran just fine. :)
    running: kill `ps auxww | grep " ntfsclone " | awk '{print $2;}' | grep -v "grep"` > //mondo.tmp.glgLLm/mondo-run-prog-thing.tmp 2> //mondo.tmp.glgLLm/mondo$
    --------------------------------start of output-----------------------------
    ...ran with res=15
    -------FATAL ERROR---------
    Failed to generate boot+data disks
    [Main] libmondo-files.c->register_pid#815: Unregistering PID
    [Main] libmondo-files.c->register_pid#815: Unregistering PID
    [Main] libmondo-files.c->register_pid#817: Error unregistering PID
    running: umount /mnt/cdrom > //mondo.tmp.glgLLm/mondo-run-prog-thing.tmp 2> //mondo.tmp.glgLLm/mondo-run-prog-thing.err
    --------------------------------start of output-----------------------------
    umount: /mnt/cdrom: not mounted
    ...ran with res=256
    [Main] newt-specific.c->finish#494: Calling newtSuspend()

Dear Patrick i tried to do backup on USB Drive but it failed if above log could help you help me?
    i dont have idea how to mount this drives and stuff.

18. raj

raj

Hi Patrick,

as per your suggestions i tried backing it up on a samba share but it says you must mount the share before you can backup on it, please help with this mounting thing i dont get this at all.

19. Patrick_elx

20. raj

raj

Dear Patrick,

Thank you very much.

Ok im not able to understand all that mounting thing.

but anyways if you can explain? to me for FTP Backup i have FTP Server and i would like to do it on that till i learn this mounting thing.