Elastix out of my lan

Discussion in 'General' started by toma, May 16, 2010.

1. toma

Hi guys. I got a little doubt here. Im new in this world of VoIP, Elastix, asterisk and all this stuff, but reading the books and the forums I was so excited that I decided to get a try of Elastix on my own. And it works perfectly at my home and my lan. But here s the thing: I wanted to try outside of my lan but it doesnt connect. I though it was because I needed some kind of dns software of something so I downloaded no-ip software, but when I tried it does nothing: it doesnt connect. But the dns software works, because I tried to remote desktop one of my pcs and it works. Could anyone tell me what do I need to do so I can communicate with my home when I get to internet outside my lan? I really appreciate it. By the way, I used a Nokia N800, thats a IP Phone, and a X-Lite softphone, and I get the same "cant connect" message.

PD: If this post is repeated, sorry, and please guide me through the post with an answer.

2. Patrick_elx

did you forward the proper ports from your WAN to your LAN?
    did you setup the proper IP/fqdn on your pbx setup?
    are your extensions NATables?

Read the chapter in Elastix Without Tears about router setup.

3. toma

Ok I solve the thing by myself (or better say, thanks to the book)... The thing is, I was putting a SIP Extension, but the correct thing was IAX2 Extension :D. Now the thing that I need to focus is: If I put an IAX2 Extension, does that will work on my lan too?? Thanks in advance.
    yep dude, I did... I dont know whats FQDN means though, but it works so I guess so :p

4. cbpapi

Yeah, it will work. If you are planning to use your IAX endpoint only in your LAN enviroment, use the local IP instead of the global IP/address so as to save bandwidth. Otherwise, use your global IP/address at all times.

5. echealth

I am having a similar issue I think. I am trying to connect to the office Elastix box with a softphone and the thing is connected and even has a dial tone but I can't seem to make any calls.
    Any ideas? Thanks

6. Patrick_elx

look at the log in the server to see what's happening (/var/log/asterisk/full)