Elastix on RHEL

Discussion in 'General' started by nnd, Nov 10, 2009.

1. nnd

nnd

Hi there...i'm new in this forum. fyi, i've used elastix and found it easy to use and manage. i noticed elastix is running on centos. is it possible to run elastix on RHEL?

if i've RHEL running on my dell server, how can i install elastix on it?

appreciate response...

2. dicko

Essentially Centos IS RHEL, Centos3==RHEL3, Centos4==RHEL4, Centos5 == RHEL5 (Just cheaper and without the art work, ah! the glories of open-source licensing). So choose an Elastix version apposite to your RHEL version and go for it. (or install a Centos kernel option on your Dell, I doubt it will be a problem, only you know what is already running on the Dell, but don't overload it)

There are many posts here as to how to add the elastix repositories, and install from there, you will probably have quite a few dependencies to resolve so I hope you are familiar with yum. and how it uses/(doesn't use) it's repos.

3. nnd

nnd

Hi dicko...thanks for ur reply. I should mention my dell server currently run RHEL 4.7...what elastix version could I run on it? Any reference i can refer?

yum...well, no choice...i gotta know it. :)

4. dicko

Personally I wouldn't be tempted, there are quite a few differences since 4.7, including the compiler, I would be very hesitant.

5. rafael

You could use something really old such as Elastix 0.7.x. Not really sure. In the other hand, I think you could virtualize and Elastix machine with XEN. I haven't done, and I am sure it won't be easy.

Elastix uses CentOS 5.x

regards,

rafael

6. Bob

Bob

I am with Dicko on this one, I wouldn't attempt it. The opportunities for potential issues, which include resolving dependencies, possible failures of your application that you have running on 4.7 due to yum updates required to resolve dependencies for the Elastix system e.g. PHP updates may be required, which may not be supported by your application(s) that already reside on the existing system. As Dicko also said the compiler may become a real issue.

My main concern is that you if you still need to learn about Yum, then you are most likely not to have the skill sets to attempt this type of work, and it is not a couple of steps that you can follow and everything is right, and definitely not something to attempt on a system that will have another production application on it.

Definitely not saying it can't be done, just trying to provide you with a real picture.

Regards

Bob

7. dicko

And I'm with Bob on that one ;) Although Rafael is always right, I think you will have a hard time getting a xen kernel on 4.7, you would need to recompile the kernel with some back-ported kernel module code, Oh shit then it wouldn't be RedHat snd you would be SOL with them for support, oh well!!

8. nnd

nnd

guys...appreciate ur valuable response...

got to think hard though... B)

9. rafael

Hi dicko,

I am not always right, one time I thought I was wrong :). Just jocking, like everyone I can always be wrong.

To summarize this thread, everything is possible. But it would be much easier to reinstall CentOS or Elastix in the machine or to buy a separate machine for Elastix.

Regards,

Rafael

10. dicko

Hola Rafael:

Yes, I was wrong once too :) :)

I totally agree with you in this case. Perhaps ndd can tell us what the Dell is being used for, it might be quite straight forward to migrate all the services to 5.3,

Regards

dicko

11. ramoncio

If you first updated your Dell server to RHEL 5.X your chances of success would be a lot higher.
    After that, you would need to compile and install the CentOS kernel from Elastix srpms. Then cross your fingers and install Elastix using yum.
    Clone your Dell's hard drive (using clonezilla or mondoarchive for example) and if you have problems, you can always go back to your working RHEL 4.7 system.