Elastix on Raspberry Pi

How many extensions do you have running? Have you tried stress testing it yet? I'd like to see how many channels / users it can handle at once.

Also wouldn't there be less overhead using ext2 on the main partition instead of ext4? ext3 and 4 do journaling, right? I'm still slightly above n00b status so sorry if these are moot points, just trying to be involved / helpful in getting the best performance out of a system like this.

I googled the ext4 filesystem and I guess you can disable journaling in that filesystem? So is it disabled in the partition you're using? I realize it probably lowers the reliability overall of the filesystem, but on an embedded device like this I assume most would want more speed out of it. Great videos btw. Just finished #2.

Hi

My video purpose is to show other how to make elastix work on PI and just guide them a little bit how to do that. Yes it is their choice to use fat16 with ext2 or ext3 or fat32 with ext4.

Sam

Update on my own post for what 's Elastix + Raspbeery Pi can do.

Now I can make this tiny computer box as an ATA server voip box (I call ATA Server Box). Because this tiny computer is act like an ATA box now after install Elastix. This box will be very good for small office. I don't know how many phone it can be handel. Sofa I have 2 phone registered pluse 5 location some in US some oversea and use google voice as inbound and outbound route for US local call pluse 1 Zoom 5800 box as and FXO to local PSTN.

I think this will be very good for internal use (same network VOIP) of cause, in my case I also use it to call oversea location as well. I have this box run behind router with dhcp IP without forward any port. We can bring this box to anywhere with voip phone or ATA box config to register to this box then just plugin to any router with DHCP. Then it ready to go.

Sam

Great videos. Thanks for posting them SamV.

I currently have two of these Raspberry Pi's working, one with Elastix and the other with latest asterisk & FreePBX.
Both have SD card for initial start of boot, then switch to 8 gig thumb drive to run the asterisk/Elastix System. Each have 20 extensions registerd (4 spa ata boxes connected), three ques playing music on hold, four GV in/out numbers, and both have static IP's assigned and running behind router on two different lans. Each unit is also setup with IAX2 "interconnected" trunks to each other.

This is what I have concluded afteer several weeks of playing:

1: OS Install, beyound any doubt the asterisk-Raspi is far easier to set up (install on SD) than Elastix, but, Elastix offers full options that asterisk-RPI does not. I (or someone) need to code a easy "plug and load" way of doing Elastix.

2: Calls, on both units in/out bound calls works very well with 8 simultanious calls going (two of the calls are conference calls with video).

3: Fat 32 0r 16, Both units appear to perform better on fat 16 with ext2 than fat 32 withext4. This just could be my imagination as both units work well on either and I have no real way to test the difference at this point nor am I interested in doing so, so I will leave it at Fat16.

4: Over clocking, no real noticeable difference in (8) in/out bound calls when running units in "over clock mode".

5: Hard Drive, units no doubt perform much better with HD's attached. It goes without saying.....

6: Remote Servers, working with no problems and with IP cameras flowing data

My Summry:

Pros: Excellent boards for the price ($35.00 U S) in a SMB, multi-location small office, or just a single Home PBX. Especially if you want to run master server and use these as remote office servers with probably no more than 10 extension at each office (JMO). Strongly consider using SD card (a must) for first start boot then allowing it to final boot off thumb drive or HD. Unit performs 100% better....

Cons:
Unit with asterisk-RPI requires more end user knowledge to set up (extensions, trunks, etc...) compared to Elastix and will run CSF with no problems. Units with Elastix will not allow networking to start with CSF installed so runnign CSF for added security not working on these units for me at this time.

Next project test: will post after I complete.....

I would reccomend obtaining a few of these and trying them out. I think everyone that gets one would be very impressed.

amphibian

accesip,

I use a "PNY" sd card. These have worked well so, in fact I have found that they seem to be one of the best SD cards on the market.

I would suggest that you check how much "swap" space you have setup on your card. Also make sure you are using the Raspberry Pi "B" version and not the "A". "A" versions only have 256 onboard memory where the "B" versions have 512.

Also, consider using the SD card for inital boot and a flash drive for actual uElastix. I originally used just the SD card and later went to the SD & Flash drive and it was a major improvement in operations.

Due to the extensive install requirements I don't use the uElastix any more just the Rasbian Asterisk. I will switch back to uElastix once I (or anyone else) have figured an easier way to install uElastix.

amphibian

Thanks Amphibian for your quick response.

I see PNY product. For 16 Go they have :

-PNY 16GB Performance SDHC Class 4 "named Performance"
-PNY 16GB High Performance SDHC Class 10 – 50MB/s "named Elite performance"

and micro SDHC with card reader.

Can you please give your model?

Thanks

Brice

I use the class 4. But if you are going to be doing a lot of read/write use the class 10.

amphibian

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orbit114