Elastix losing Gateway setting

Discussion in 'General' started by lbennett, Mar 6, 2008.

1. lbennett

A couple of times lately one of my Elastix servers has lost it's Gateway setting. All of a sudden we have been unable to make outgoing calls because the SIP registration to our VSP has failed. When I checked in System > Network the Gateway field is blank. I re-enter the gateway address of 192.168.1.254 and it's OK again but this has happened twice in as many week yet we have had the server running since 0.9.2 was released. Can anyone suggest what is causing this and why it would start happening now? No new updates have been installed and nothing has happened on the network at the time we lose the gateway. Another Elastix server exactly the same as this one at another site and not connected to this one has not had the problem.

2. DStirrup

3. farhansabir

I have the same issue. Whenever i restart the server, the gateway disappears and SIP Trunks obviously go down. I wanted to know if the webmin solution worked for you or did you do something else to resolve this issue? Your solution to the problem might be very helpful.

Regards
    Farhan

4. kau

kau

5. farhansabir

Only change i have is that I installed Elastix on a 10.0.1.x network and later on moved to another network with 192.168.0.x. subnet mask in both cases 255.255.255.0. This server was working fine for past few months. But now when i restart it, the gateway (which you can see in picture) disappears. i am not really sure whats going on.

Elastix: 1.0-7
    Host: pdc.example.com
    IP: 192.168.0.100
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS: 192.168.0.1

Any help would be highly appreciated. Out of desperation i have installed webmin as well, but dont know how to setup the IP/Gateway in that.

Regards
    Farhan [​IMG]

6. busster8

I see this happen in TrixBox as well.

7. rafael

I would report this bug. You can fix this issue the linux (CentOS) way. Just ssh your server and edit /etc/sysconfig/network. At this file add the following line:
    --------
    GATEWAY=190.xx.xx.xx
    --------
    change it with your gateway.

Regards,

Rafael

8. mbit

This problem often happens when you have more than 1 network card. In your network settings each network card has its own gateway then linux gets confused which one it actually needs to use.

To get rid of the problem you need to make sure there is no gateway settings in each network script file. So if you have 2 network cards your network files will probably be in /etc/sysconfig/networkscripts/ and they will be called ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1. Go into each of these files and make sure there is no gateway settings in there.

Once you have removed these make sure you have a gateway setting in /etc/sysconfig/network. Once you reboot linux wont be confused which gateway to use.

9. farhansabir

There is only one network adapter and a loopback of course. The contents are listed below. Should I remove the gateway from ifcfg-eth0 and keep it in /etc/sysconfig/network only?

[root@pdc network-scripts]# pwd
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

[root@pdc network-scripts]# ls -la ifcfg-*
    -rw-r--r-- 2 root root 189 Sep 18 22:22 ifcfg-eth0
    -rw-r--r-- 2 root root 136 Sep 18 22:22 ifcfg-lo

[root@pdc network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0
    NAME=""
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    BOOTPROTO=none
    TYPE=Ethernet
    DEVICE=eth0
    MTU=""
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NOZEROCONF=yes
    BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
    IPADDR=192.168.0.100
    NETWORK=192.168.0.0
    ONBOOT=yes

[root@pdc network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-lo
    BOOTPROTO=none
    NAME=loopback
    DEVICE=lo
    NETMASK=255.0.0.0
    MTU=""
    BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
    IPADDR=127.0.0.1
    NETWORK=127.0.0.0
    ONBOOT=yes

[root@pdc network-scripts]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    NETWORKING=yes
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    HOSTNAME=pdc.example.com

10. rafael

It is should be fine and if you have an extra adapter in the future you would know where the default route is.

saludos,

Rafael

11. farhansabir

The question in the quote still needs your answer though :)
    "Should I remove the gateway from ifcfg-eth0 and keep it in /etc/sysconfig/network only?"

It would be great to remember this, but the problem still remains the same. When i reboot the system, the gateway disappears from the GUI/Network page. I have to edit it and put the gateway back there. For that i have to be physically present there. Isnt that great buddy? :-(

You are the admin, i am sure you can help me with this problem. I would have upgraded the server but the the problem is the new Elastix wont have the Sangoma A200 drivers embeded. That may have resolved the issue, but again, thats a guess work. I would like to get the help from the makers and the experts.

Regards
    Farhan

12. farhansabir

Any other suggestions ???