Elastix installation process :: suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by tamarix, Dec 13, 2007.

1. tamarix

Hello,

Am I alone in that case ? I found the elastix installation to be very painful:

* At the end of the installation process, there is no request to remove the CD and a waiting screen that would wait for confirmation this has been done before rebboting. So I left the installation process and when I came back the installation process had started again. OK, this is minnor but not really professional

* The preference for the keyboard is not saved. When I come to the root login (shell interface), the keyboard is still qwerty instead of azerty

* There is no request for network configuration during the installation procedure(or as for the reboot, a potentiel screen did not wait for confirmation. I did not spent time looking at the ruuning installation but left it alone, so I may have miss some configuration screen). So I had to configure the network by editing the system file.

* I now finally have the web access for the admin login. There is no indication in the doc on what could be the admin login and password.

I don't know yet if I start chasing this password or go to another solution.

I currently have an Asterisk in production and was looking for some nicer interface that would allow other persons to access part of the configuration.

These critics are made to be ocnstructive. Sorry if they may appear to be rude for all the guys who are working hard on this.

Sincerely,
    Franck

Post edited by: tamarix, at: 2007/12/13 14:47<br><br>Post edited by: admin, at: 2007/12/13 19:47

2. cowboy47

I agree with some of your points.

I agree that there should be a pause or wait rather than to continue to reinstall.

I agree that there should be the network config screen.

As far as the admin login, I know that it has been posted as admin/admin for quite some time and there are instructions on how to change the passwords in the forums.

I am not sure what you are asking for when you state you want a nicer interface. If you are talking about user based interfaces with assigned priviliges, that might take a bit of work, and I am not sure I would like that anyway.

Bear in mind, in my honest opinion, I prefer Elastix to my other option which is Trixbox, and with Trixbox it is much more complicated. This whole effort is a combined effort to develop a much better product. So, having said that, it is still "work in progress".

C

3. tamarix

Hello,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have to admit I have been a little bit lazy : I only looked at the 'user manuel PDF' which appears on the left corner of the website and did not notices the 'Documentation' tab which contain much more information.

I am not asking a nicer interface (I first have to play a little bit with it before that :) ). I just have been really surpised to get so much troubles (even if small one) at the installation process as my remarks are quite basic things hat should not be too difficult to implement (but I recognise choices have to be made when implementing and that Elastix is till at version 0.9.x so develoopers know there is room for improvement...).

Sincerely,
    Franck