Elastix @ Home

Discussion in 'General' started by MageMinds, Jul 10, 2008.

1. MageMinds

Hi,

Here is my success story... I wanted to try Asterisk only because I can and I wanted to experiment with it, so I took an old P4 1.8 GHz with 512 MB of RAM and installed Elastix on it, that went great!

Then I had purchased long time ago a X100P FXO PCI Card, it's a Wildcard clone so I installed it to have a more reliable clock system and to connect my actual ATA from my sip provider to the Asterisk during the transition, my provider have a surcharge to give me my SIP password, so I wanted to make sure everything would work as I expected.

Now one week and a lot of fun hours of configuration I now have a sip provider allowing me to place 4 concurrent calls to PSTN, I have a Callcentric Trunk, a FWD SIP Trunk (I don't like IAX) an ENUM trunk and a Skype trunk via a software gateway called Uplink that run on my Windows XP machine.

I have setup a DISA for me to call the system from work and benefit my Free Long Distance call, my bosses doesn't know I make long distance that way, I have a callback for my cellphone, so I no more use my minutes since inbound calls are unlimited. I have a Time restriction on Skype, Callcentric and FWD inbound calls and all other calls are routed to a Ring Group that ring my cell phone too, no more forgetting to program the call forward...

I tested Streamed music on hold, it worked, but sometimes that caused trouble, so I went to MP3, but then again when I transfer someone to the parking lot they ear the beginning of the same song twice, so I finally setup Music on Hold to get the Line-In of the onboard sound card and I send a local radio station using an old FM receiver.

I managed to add extension for my contacts in Skype, so I can dial them from-internal. I managed to install the g729 codec which I needed since my poor upload bandwidth is only 640 kbps and with 4 outbound calls to my sip provider and maybe skype/enum/callcentric/fwd calls ate the same times I had to have g729 working. I finally managed to register extension from outside of my home network and it's working behind dual NAT, of course my router support symmetric NAT and it also does an awesome job of QoS'ing I can run Bittorrent full throttle and still be able to place 4 calls without a single packet drop. (The router is pfSense, which is free by the way)

Now I have to try to create an IVR menu just for the fun of it.

Finally I'm now waiting to get an other ATA a PAP2-NA to add two more internal extension, I'm actually using the second port of my sip provider supplied ATA. I keep the first port registered to them, in case Asterisk or the PC crash badly.

That was my success story, I tried Trixbox long time ago before they where a bunch of sell-out, they just before Elastix I tried PIAF I had some trouble, then I tried Elastix and as my story tell I'll stick with it!

I have one comment though, that is not related to Elastix: I hate your forum engine.

Thanks for the great product, I hope you'll resist the urge to sell it... Eventually I will recommend it to a small company and you'll receive a donation from them for sure.

The END.

2. MageMinds

I have to add that I also managed to have distinct ring on my Linksys ATA, so Internet calls ring two short ring and external calls ring normally I also have a different ring for my inbound route corresponding to Skype.