Elastix for Alix / Embedded systems?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chilling_Silence, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Chilling_Silence

Last image I could find a link to was a year ago, and it's been long-dead.

Anybody done this recently? Anybody have an image? If I were to make one, would people be keen or is this the kind of thing I'm just doing as an enthusiast with too much time?

Cheers

Chill.

2. Lou1z

i run alix's with pfsense and industrial compact flash. elastix on it? can they handle it with 256mb ram?
    certainly interesting..... purely voip or interfaced with an ata?

3. Chilling_Silence

Yeah I managed to get it working after a bit of research it worked surprisingly well!
    http://blogs.elastix.org/en/2009/11/ins ... -hardware/

Used a few different extensions, SIP Phones, ATA's, doesn't matter ... I've even popped g729 on it and it *easily* handles 5 concurrent calls on an LX800 CPU. The main hold-up is decoding the MOH, so I might try and get the g729 MOH and see if that makes a difference.

Without calls being put on hold, I'd guess it'd handle somewhere around 25 calls quite happily? 256MB RAM is *tons*! You wouldn't be able to run OpenFire or anything on it of course, but in terms of a basic asterisk system then yes :)

4. Lou1z

for a SOHO then it would probably be ideal due to it's very low power consumption.
    it's certainly interesting and may be better than any similary aimed offering.
    if you continue with it, let me know how you get on.
    louis

5. Chilling_Silence

Thus far it's working quite well, have got a customer lined up already for one, and we've been using it internally in a development environment with great success!

It doesn't like being under load from a few calls, playing MoH, and having me fluff around in the WebGUI, while running things like 'core show translation recalc 10'... But other than that its solid as a rock! So nice that I know it's not going to overheat, I shifted the server into direct sunlight, the little black box just kept on going and going and going just like the energizer bunny!! :D

6. james.zhu

if you want to try alix, you can install elastix and 2c2. but it is not a good idea for that.

7. Chilling_Silence

I've already tried it on an Alix 6b2, identical hardware in terms of CPU / RAM .. Results were very impressive! :)

It can transcode 5 concurrent calls, but handle a lot more when it's not doing MOH or transcoding, so for a small business I reckon it's sufficient. We've had 25 Ext's with a *ton* more room to grow, so yeah :D It's a bit cheaper than the likes of Atom boards, plus the fact there's no fans or anything is a big plus in my eyes, plus the low power consumption!

...then again, as of a few days ago, I'm biased ;)