elastix conferences vs. FreePBX conferences

jcardinal

I have an elastix system that has been set up and working well for ~20 extensions, local and remote. Most phones are either Linksys SPA942s or Polycom 501s. One problem I haven't been able to overcome is that I cannot get the temporary conferences created by elastix to work. I have three permanent conferences set up via FreePBX that all work perfectly. However, when I go to the elastix web GUI => PBX => Conference and set up a temporary conference there, I cannot dial into it from internal extensions or externally via an IVR. When dialing the conference number from an internal extension, I get the error "your call cannot be completed as dialed". When dialing the conference number via an IVR, I hear the error "I'm sorry, that is not a valid extension."

I noticed that the time zone appears to be hard coded to PST/PDT, so I've made sure to account for the time difference, and I've even set the conference to start hours before the current time and to stay active for 24 hours to ensure that is not the issue. I've also found that I can go into the conference participants page and invite extensions, which will ring them and allow them to join.

Can anyone help me understand why I can't dial in to these conferences?

jcardinal

I think I've partially solved this problem, so I'm posting what I've learned in case it might help someone else. Another post here led me to check out chapter 19: Conference of the book Elastix Without Tears.

Apparently, the problem I was facing is somewhat by design. When you choose PBX => Conference from the elastix web GUI, the temporary conferences created here are intended to be invite only for internal extensions.

Something else I found interesting; you can also enter an existing / permanent conference number from this screen, which gives you the visibility and administrative controls while still allowing people to dial in to the conference.

To me, the missing features here are the ability to create a new / temporary conference that callers can dial into, and the ability to manually enter an external phone number for inviting users to a conference.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marouen