Elastix/Asterisk with only one analog line?

Discussion in 'General' started by kkrodd, Jan 12, 2010.

1. kkrodd

Hello and Happy New Year to all!

Sorry if what I'm asking is too stupid or basic as I'm a total noob when it's about telephony (analog or digital), although I can pretty much hold my own in regards to Linux.

My questions arised because I need to have a PBX/answering machinde/call redirector, etc but only with one analog line, and I need to know if I can do this with Elastix/Asterisk or if I need somthing else --and if that's so, then please suggest where to begin.

More specific questions to begin are:

1- Can I use only an analog modem to implement it instead of the complex hardware always listed as required? (I'm thinking in buying a USB Modem so I can use it as such in any virtual machine like virtualbox or vmware).

2- I need Elastix to accept a set of rules defined by myself, when it reads the caller ID (analog line) and according to the number (for example if it's from a cell, or a local, or regional) redirect to a different set of pre-recorded messages (answering machine) or in case of really important predefined numbers, redirect to the actual phone connected to the output port of the modem, so I can answer the phone?

3- Maybe (depending again of the source call) record the voice of the caller in a file (lossy format as MP3 or OGG) an write me an email with the file appended. Is this doable in this scenario?

In other words does Elastix and/or Asterisk and all its functions work with only an analog (preferably external USB) modem?

If this is possibe but with a limited set of modems, please suggest actual makers/models and any details about it you are aware of.

If not is this possible with another solution similar to Elastix?

Thanks for any suggestions!

KkrodD!!!

2. david

I'am no expert, but I would get either a pci card or SPA3102 to control the line

& an ip phone, calls that match can make that phone ring, calls that don't match can go to voice mall which the box can send to you as email if desired(*.wav file)

I suspect you'll need a 2nd line if you want to redirect of your pbx,

your modem thing may be do able but a modest spend on the common used kit is easier in the long run

3. dicko

Welcome to Elastix:

Answers:

1) No, the hardware must be able to handle Voice data and line signaling, very few if any "modems" do that, you will need FXO type hardware specifically supporting Asterisk.
    2) No Problem this is a Built-in
    3) Yes with a minor script to do the mailing.

If you have three-way calling and that alllows you to leave the call then you should be able to "redirect" the call. if not you will need another trunk possibly SIP to handle the other leg of the call. To use an old fashioned phone you will need an FXS piece of hardware.

4. kkrodd

Hi, thanks for the answers!

So if I am not planning to use (for now) any of the VoIP features of Asterisk and only need it to handle the analog line, do I still need any of the common hardware? (which I assumed were needed because the VoIP features)

If that's so, can you provide links or a more accurate description to acquire the minimum set or the 'common used kit' (as your called it) needed to start small and the escalate if necessary?

Do I still need an IP phone, or can I manage with regular phone?

As my experience and my budget is very limited for now, I'm trying to keep the cost at the very minimum and depending on results and needs, acquire better hardware to get more sophisticated functionality.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!!!

Cheers!

KkrodD

5. dicko

Try reading "Elastix Without Tears" in the download section, it will give you a better understanding of how VOIP works, but essentially you WILL need hardware to connect to regular phones and phone-lines. And you possible will need a SIP provider, as one single Analog phone line needs to be able to do its own "flash" transfer to redirect. Typically someone like yourself might use a Linksys 3102 which is a network device that has one FXO port (for the phone line) and one FXS port (for the phone). IMHO I suggest you keep away from the temptingly low priced xp100 type hardware as, depending on manufacturer, the vary between unusable and almost adequate.

6. kkrodd

Hi!

Thanks for all the answers, so in any case I guess no one has Asterisk/Elastik under virtual machines? (that's why I wanted a USB device that can be accesed directly under the VM)

If this is the last word, I guess I will start to search for a local reseller of the Linksys SPA3102.

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions!

KkrodD

7. dicko

If you are contemplating using a VM, then save yourself a whole bunch of frustration, trying to present hardware busses to the machine with no lost interrupts (and that is essential) is no mean feat and is actually impossible with many Virtualization schema. You will have your work cut out to even get your VM/VOIP machine up to acceptable performance anyway.

Stick with a network based solution (ATA, Analog Telephone Adapter) and forget about using standard "modems", they just are the wrong sort of hardware.

8. kkrodd

Hi! and thanks for all the comments!

Another question, in the list of compatible hardware, besides the SPA3102, I have seen this other FXS/FXO device : Linksys PAP2.

This one can also what I want to do? if it's so, which one works better according to your experience?

Could this one (or the SPA3102) work under a VMWARE Virtual machine?

I guess this is my final question, as later I will have to start buying, implementing, etc . Thanks very much for all the suggestions, I really appreciate them!

KkrodD

9. dicko

Check again, I believe that the PAP2 is 2xFXS, you need an FXS for the phone and an FXO (usually more expensive) for the phone-line

I personally am happy with linksys hardware, and yes within the intrinsic limitations of a VM it will work in VMware, but check here and elsewhere for the pitfalls of running Asterisk under VMWare. (Don't even think of doing it under windoze)

10. david

again stressing I ain't an expert, rather than virtual machines, use an old desktop as a devolvement machine, get a working config together & when you ready to make next step forward swap to another machine, once proven old machine can be played with after business hours, this will ensure you