Elastix + analog lines won't work without internet

walank

Hi,
I'm running on Elastix 2.0 RC1 + 20 Polycom 601/650.
Everything was working fine for last few months and today when we lost internet access everything went down. I couldn't even call from one extension to another - there was no dial tone...
When I looked at FreePBX Astersik Info page half of my phones were having problem registering to PBX. I also saw like 100 of Rx:SUBSCRIBE messages under SIP Channels.

I rebooted the server and phones couple times but still no luck. Looks like if there is no internet nothing works. After business hours I will try to simulate this and see what is happening when there is no Internet access...
I have 5 analog lines connected to the system so I'm expecting it should work even without internet access.

Is this a know bug in Elastix 2.0 RC1 (and should I reinstall to 2.0 stable) or there is something wrong with my configuration ?

Thanks in advance

DaveD

This is a common problem with asterisk, and has been discussed a number of times on these forums,

solution for some and it worked for me ,was to install BIND DNS Server on Elastix.
There are plenty of howto on the forums use the search function

walank

DaveD said:
This is a common problem with asterisk, and has been discussed a number of times on these forums,

solution for some and it worked for me ,was to install BIND DNS Server on Elastix.
There are plenty of howto on the forums use the search function
Thanks DaveD for your sugesstion. I will try to research on BIND DNS...
My elastix is pointing to Windows 2003 DNS (local) so I would never suspect DNS problems...

BTW - I was trying to use search function - I'm not dumb ass posting every single problem I have with asterisk...
try keyword "no internet no dialtone" for example - no results...I guess I wasn't using pefrect keywords...

Search function on elastix website is not the best search I saw either! New website looks better but if it would work it will be nice (I'm refering "My discussions" page, which is just showing 1 hypelink "Product page" on white page)

I told my customer "because you have analog lines even if internet goes down everything will work" - now I look like uneducated gamming addict...
WHY THIS BUG IS STILL NOT FIXED IN ELASTIX 2.0 ?????

Thanks

dicko

You should read DaveD's post again, this time with a little more care.

IT IS NOT A BUG IN ELASTIX, IT IS A BUG IN ASTERISK!!!!!!

depending on your provider, you might even be able to add the ipaddress of their server in /etc/hosts and not need name resolution at all, as those posts you couldn't find would have told you.

relying on windows as a name server, is I suggest not a good idea, I have seen them even forget where they are themselves.

try searching for dnsmasq, it is a caching name server, a little lighter weight than bind that you can easily point at any name server, even a stoopid-ass windowbox

yum install dnsmasq

edit /etc/resolv.conf to use 127.0.0.1 as it's sole nameserver

then edit /etc/dnsmasq.conf

and add server=<ipaddress> or whatever config line that makes sense to your namespace, that file is very well self documenting.

walank

Dicko,
You're right - this is asterisk bug - nt Elastix.
so why it is called "stable" if asterisk is kind'a not ?

Is there a check list what you have to do before going life ?
Like:
1) install asterisk based PBX
2) fix problem with DNS (when ISP is down)
3) fix problem with reliable timing source (jitter on MOH)
4) survive hell with NAT/RTP
5) kill anyone trying to do FreePBX updates from website
6) spent counless hours making nice Polycom configs

"relying on windows as a name server, is I suggest not a good idea, I have seen them even forget where they are themselves"

If dumb-ass configured them - YES, you're right...

I have Windows 2003 servers with DNS service installed runnig for few YEARS and I never had to look back at their configs... if ISP goes down workstations can still find domain controller, login to it, use shared folders - all they need to survive internet outage...

Sorry, I'm getting flustrated... at the beginning asterisk was fun but now it just pain...

I'm writting this post second time - first time Elastix website showed me message "Wrong code" and deleted my post :-((((((
next time I will copy all text I'm writting before clicking "submit".....

dicko

Pretty well, you will develop your check list as you become more experienced, the good thing is you you tend to only have to learn it once, it's a little like riding a bike in that.

I would add to the list, and in no particular order

Make sure your firewall is tight as a drum.
Make sure you IDS is functional and regularly in contact with you.
Make sure you have backups.
Make sure you have backups of backups.
Make sure your hardware is not overstressed.
Explore your logs every day.
Develop Scripts that will do the above for you.
Never believe anyone or anything, figure it for yourself.
Make sure you put your pants on the right way round in the morning.
Never rely on microwhatsit for anything, one Tuesday it will without doubt break, (come on, you know that's true, you've even been there :) )

Dicko

p.s's.

If you have 2003 machines that have been "up for years" then I suggest that they are seriously insecure, do you never apply those "Security" patches? If you use such a server for Asterisk you might be surprised by how often it will send back "Server Error", this is fine for Desktops, but can spoil your whole day in the SIP/linux world, it will assume your server is broken and try somewhere else if it can, (you will get that "Server Error" most often byt not exclusively when the machine is disconnected from the "innertubes", and I speak from personal experience, so that's kind of a Catch-22 in this case don't you agree ? )

I disagree with 5, just don't do it the Elastix Way, 3 is never a problem with dahdi compliant hardware , don't expect VM's to work worth a sh*t.

I don't consider 2.0 stable yet, ask anyone around here :)

And perhaps most importantly, no pain no gain, you got a whole boat load more than you paid for, If you aren't up to it, maybe the paid-support from Palosanto at the top here is more up your street.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti