Elastix 5 Dials 3CX for its Telephony Engine

This is "some" news. Now if it is exiting? I don't know.
At the moment I don't really like this development. 25 extensions (by the way the current limit for the free version of Elastix is "unlimited", so basically a downgrade) / 8 simultaneous calls sounds fair enough. This should do it for most small businesses at least. But the main problem with the free version of 3CX for me is that it allows only one SIP trunk. I would like to be able to use different SIP trunks to be able to have a fall back and of course choose the best provider for the country to call. With 1 SIP Trunk one of the best features of a SIP based PBX is gone.
And once you want to go commercial, pricing is quite steep and the most annoying part: Only available through partners. So you have to deal with another layer of potential incompetency (yes, you will tell me that they are all very competend, but until you find one that really is...).

Well, will need to look around for alternatives. Maybe Xivo / Wazo. But with the fork, I am not sure what will happen to them in the near future.

NickG3CX

Administrator
Thank you for your feedback.

Well, if you choose one good SIP trunk provider, then you would not need multiple SIP trunks. A quality SIP trunk provider with good SLA and good pricing - you wont need more then one trunk provider?

But if you need more than one trunk, pricing for one year of 3CX is about $150 or $300 if for 25 extensions. Do you consider that steep?

Re partners - if you just want to buy a license you can buy it online from them?

regards,

Nick.
To be honest with us, you know that you agree with us.

Elastix 2.5 is unlimited about the concurent calls and trunks. And i don't talikng about the H.A.!!
We use Elastix 2.5 as IPBX provider, and it works like a charm. (Free)
VS 3CX, 8 concurent calls with 25 extensions only and ...... one free licence for one year (so not unlimited).
Sorry, but it's a little short as argument!

I don't know 3CX enough. Maybe it's a good product sure. But you cannot keep the name "Elastix". It's no longer Elastix.

Takes a BMW..... change the car by AUDI and keep BMW logo. Sorry, it's not a BMW, but an AUDI car. That's all.

Don't forget that too many Elastix customers had lost to many money with this story.
When a customer say: I bought a Call Center addon a few days ago and now you say, now you can buy Elastix 5 with our Call center module.
Sorry but he can be angry.

NickG3CX

Administrator
No, I don't agree with you. 3CX provides great value for a serious company that wants a professional PBX.

Here, it's not a business context. This is just a fact.
Limited against unlimited server for the same use.
What's better? The issue is Asterisk VS 3CX.
It's like : Linux VS Windows. or Windows VS OSX. or Linux VS OSX.

I understand that you did not agree with me. Your job can't say this kind of view.

And until here, there's no consideration for any Elastix's customers. (for the moment).

My worry is the Elastix's customers and Elastix's members.
It's not a war between Asterisk againts 3CX. I hate this kind of stuff.
The choice (your choice) was to geting Elastix. Ok... Do it, But with its community and the customers and more, the old sources for updates (repos and mirrors). That's all.

Sure, the target is to killing the competition and be alone.
Business is business. It's evident. But...... There's a but!

I think this is great news and I'm not saying that because I am a 3CX Partner. We tried Elastix (Asterisk) on Xorcom boxes and had nothing but problems, the main one being security. No matter how much you lock down an Asterisk system you will always get breaches which can be costly to the customer in most cases otherwise a major pain in the backside from complaints when the system is randomly calling numbers. Due to it's open source nature Asterisk support is limited and you usually have to cobble different solutions together to get things working when you have problems, most forums for Asterisk and the different builds are unresponsive so problems often go unsolved for large amounts of time in our experience.

With 3CX most if not all security concerns are gone, we have had no breaches of security with 3CX and have to do very little out of the box to secure a system. 3CX is feature rich, intuitive to use and best of all customers love it, especially with all of the integrations with CRM systems. For most small to medium businesses 8 SIM Calls is fine, we have customers with 20-25 extensions who have never experienced any difficulties with making calls. A good SIP Trunk provider negates the need for fail over, in the UK Gamma is a great provider (the best in my opinion) and they fully work with 3CX (Trunk Template included out of the box).

I will be upgrading all of my legacy Xorcom boxes to Elastix 5 to give customers a more superior PBX and a more secure system.

admin

Administrator
I think this is great news and I'm not saying that because I am a 3CX Partner. We tried Elastix (Asterisk) on Xorcom boxes and had nothing but problems, the main one being security. No matter how much you lock down an Asterisk system you will always get breaches which can be costly to the customer in most cases otherwise a major pain in the backside from complaints when the system is randomly calling numbers. Due to it's open source nature Asterisk support is limited and you usually have to cobble different solutions together to get things working when you have problems, most forums for Asterisk and the different builds are unresponsive so problems often go unsolved for large amounts of time in our experience.

With 3CX most if not all security concerns are gone, we have had no breaches of security with 3CX and have to do very little out of the box to secure a system. 3CX is feature rich, intuitive to use and best of all customers love it, especially with all of the integrations with CRM systems. For most small to medium businesses 8 SIM Calls is fine, we have customers with 20-25 extensions who have never experienced any difficulties with making calls. A good SIP Trunk provider negates the need for fail over, in the UK Gamma is a great provider (the best in my opinion) and they fully work with 3CX (Trunk Template included out of the box).

I will be upgrading all of my legacy Xorcom boxes to Elastix 5 to give customers a more superior PBX and a more secure system.
Thank you for the heads up, much appreciated!!! :)

admin

Administrator
Here, it's not a business context. This is just a fact.
Limited against unlimited server for the same use.
What's better? The issue is Asterisk VS 3CX.
It's like : Linux VS Windows. or Windows VS OSX. or Linux VS OSX.

I understand that you did not agree with me. Your job can't say this kind of view.

And until here, there's no consideration for any Elastix's customers. (for the moment).

My worry is the Elastix's customers and Elastix's members.
It's not a war between Asterisk againts 3CX. I hate this kind of stuff.
The choice (your choice) was to geting Elastix. Ok... Do it, But with its community and the customers and more, the old sources for updates (repos and mirrors). That's all.

Sure, the target is to killing the competition and be alone.
Business is business. It's evident. But...... There's a but!
OK re the old source and mirrors - to our knowledge they are on sourceforge. If we can re instate the old repo and mirror for 2.5 we will do so.

Things change but hey SIP is still SIP. Open standards stay.
Having had experience selling and supporting many different PBX systems I can tell that 3CX mobility options are the best in the market.
I think this is an opportunity to differentiate from free.

OK re the old source and mirrors - to our knowledge they are on sourceforge. If we can re instate the old repo and mirror for 2.5 we will do so.
Ok, do it because.
Elastix 2.5 iso file the first version of Elastix
The repos and mirrors include all changes since the first version, then, so many correcting bugs.
And more, without repos, unable to install any addons "Free or not", like for example RoomX.

So it's important that you unlock these repos ASAP please.

Nick

i forgot a thing.
About Elastix 3 and 4. Ok we could not download the iso files any more for any reason. But in any case, don't forget that there's too many peoples who had already installed Elastix 3 and 4.
If for any reason, a server need to be reinstalled from scratch, the need use the original iso file from them (no download), but after install, they need to updating the server and so reinistalling the addons.
So, i think it should be great to enable again these repos and mirrors for updates and addons also.

Think at the customers who had an Elastix Appliance. (Elastix embedded).

Best regards Nick and thanks for all.

NickG3CX

Administrator
Thank you all for the feedback provided. Some good, some bad, which was to be expected.

We have recapped most of the feedback in a blog post which we hope will go some way in addressing some issues and concerns:
http://www.elastix.org/blog/note-elastix-5-community/

Danard - your explanation was very helpful. The repo and mirror servers should be back online soon.

Let me also take this opportunity to thank DanardF and Amphibian for their contributions to the Elastix Community over the years. 8043 and 1100 posts respectively. Respect.

Last edited:

Could you please explain the security issues in your Asterisk installations? Asterisk being a PBX platform (and technically not responsible for the security). Was the problem with Elastix or Free PBX or - what specifically was it? How did the 3CX solve the problems?

Last edited:
About the security it was more for Freepbx, VTiger, Asterisk2billing, and OpenFire if i remember well.
Some ones has been updated.
Excepted some people whithout knowledge about Elastix and put the server directly to the WAN leaving the default rules within the firewall (if enabled), and sometimes with default passwords.
So it's not directly Elastix, but some softwares not updated and not really secure. And next, some crazy guys and doing severals errors.
I saw some guys enable anonymous sip registration. Yes ... cool, it's open bar.

I've some Elastix server at home, no one has been hacked.

Elastix perfect? No.
Elastix stable and good? Yes, if you know it and take the time to learn it (read the documents, the manuals, the forum)

I've made a project with elx 2.5 to make an IVR linked with a database SAP. for handling the ticketing.
It works like a charme.
In our company, we use ELX 2.5 customised for providing any trunks SIP for our clients.
Running under ESXi it could have up to 500 simultanous calls and more without problem.

Never hacked,
No licence.

Hello,

What will be the future of customer using Elastix 3. It has been designed to be multi tenant, we can consider they will have a big number of extensions. You will ask them to buy a 3CX System for hundred of calls. Who can pay 25 000 € for a system installed to be free ?

Jean-Luc

ELX MT will not be available for download, but you could make any updates (repos and mirrors stay up) if you install it from scratch. For resume, if you have the iso file MT already downloaded somewhere (USB, DVD, NAS), no problem.
However, no more support and new versions of the version MT.

Voilà Jean-luc ce que je peux dire sur à ce sujet.

hello guys
i see this post now
elastix5 no free ? its very bad ?
but why?
my english is very bad oppolgize all

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orbit114