elastix 3.0.0 alpha, elastix 2.4.0 beta, melastix

Bob

Read the forums and posts.....

3.0 is an alpha release....it will not come with documentation in most cases, the developers have putting 100% into adding the features and achieving a stable system. Its there to show those interested in where things are heading. We might not even see Elastix 3.0 stable for another year. (I hope not - but that is how fluid it is at moment).

In many cases to get Elastix 3.0 working, it involves having a reasonable amount of knowledge of previous Elastix systems, especially with this redesign.

As for the Beta 2.4, again same thing, they are releasing it for non production use. The Elastix Crew have also just started the usual rounds of conferences, so they may also be a bit short on the ground...

But as I said have a read of the forums, there are pointers to the Elastix Dev and Elastix Beta lists which are the best place to start..

Regards

Bob

thanks Bob, i undestood these versions are in the development, but my search said me nothing. most intersting is what the asterisk and kernel version will be in these realises... i will see it on Elastix Dev and Elastix Beta lists, thanks a lot again

Bob

JeckFS,

Sorry, what I meant is that several other posts have pointed to the Dev and Beta lists.

Regards

Bob

I agree. I looked around at all the obvious places and links on the site but didnt find any details on the 3.0 distro. By the way, the wiki menu link goes no where either. Will look forward to testing anyway.

i've installed the 3.0.0 version in virtualbox to see the things i'm interesting. what do i see? the kernel 2.6.32.xxx, finally we can use chan_dongle whithout black magic to upgrade kernel, but why asterisk still 1.8.xx? where freepbx? it's sad... don't want to tell developers how and what they must do, it's alpha, and developers knew what they do better then i, but i don't like this trend... it's all my IMHO. Regards

moderators, please delete my empty posts, it was bug from me :)

Bob

JeckFS,

The posts you requested have been deleted.

I suspect there are few reasons for their choice of Asterisk 1.8.

1) Asterisk 1.8 has the runs on the board - safe choice
2) Asterisk 1.8 is a long term release
3) Asterisk 10 is a support release similar to Asterisk 1.6 (short life)

Combine this with a large number of changes to the GUI (e.g. no Freepbx). It makes it a lot easier if you are not changing too many parts at once, and can confirm where the issue lies if one comes up....

But having said that and as you said, it is alpha, if they feel confident, they may drop the Asterisk 10 in. :)

Regards

Bob

thank you, Bob, the position about version of Asterisk is clean now :) sad about freepbx, the custom context module is make the work more easier, i hope the elastix team will show us something the same :) we'll see... i think the module like LDAP (AD or Samba) integration will be useful too :)
Regards

Bob

JeckFS,

No need to feel sad about Freepbx. As I have mentioned in other posts (somewhere), Whilst Freepbx is a great product, Elastix has been "restricted" in its roadmap as Freepbx was a major part of the puzzle. You cant take Elastix up one road, if Freepbx is heading up the other (which it does in many places).

Whilst I have no inside knowledge of where Elastix is going exactly, having been around Elastix for many years, the following are visions and thoughts that I see once Elastix 3.0 starts growing

1) The restriction of PHP 5.1.6 might lift, allowing use of PHP 5.3. This means many of the products like Sugar/Vtiger and many other utilities can be upgraded (many could not as they no longer worked with the older PHP). Also allows the use of new products that are only ever been Php 5.3 compatible.

2) Simpler entry of Trunks via the GUI

3) Simpler entry of users and extensions with the ability to allow the system owner to change names and extensions - a more granular level of security.

3) Greater possibility of real multi site/ Multi tenant implementations

4) Improved LDAP integration - especially with the more modular approach to configuration that I have seen

5) vastly improved upgrade routine. Up until now, it has been like trying to wrestle with a multi-headed monster, with one of the heads out of the control of the Elastix devs.

6) vastly improved custom context operation. This might be hidden in the end, offering a better more user friendly permissions style idea on the outbound routes.

7) Implementation of Asterisk realtime being able to make changes on the fly. This may be implemented now (I have not checked), but if not this maybe a strong possibility in the near future with 3.x

8) Implementation of improved API's to take greater or more realtime control of the PBX system, great for products like "Visual Dialplan" or on the fly IVRs etc.

I could go on for ages, but these are just items I have jotted down.

This is not to say Freepbx has not done some of these things (e.g. PHP 5.3 compatibility) but some of these things have inhibited where Elastix could be today. Likewise I am not saying that Freepbx has gone the wrong way. Over the many years we have "settled" into the ways that Freepbx does things and to many users, the thought of anything but Freepbx will worry some users, but having "played" with many different systems, I have known for many years that while working in freepbx gave the "warm & fuzzies" it was not necessarily the right or only way to do things.

Regards

Bob

Bob

Just an update...after my last message I had a closer look

* PHP 5.3 already installed in 3.0Alpha

* It appears to be using Asterisk Realtime already...I might be wrong, it might be a stub, but looks like it is using it.

Will spend the weekend delving deeper :)

Regards

Bob

Bob

logdog,

Hard to say, as you can appreciate v3.0 is only in Alpha. Its probably the last thing in the process they will consider.

Again nothing concrete has been said, but just some thoughts again off the top of my head

1) To the best of my knowledge in place upgrades of Centos 5 (elastix 2.2) to Centos 6 (Elastix 3.0)are risky and not recommended by the Centos community as a whole. This move to Centos 6 is well worth it, with many areas that have improved (SSD Trim support, improved Cluster ability, greater support for hardware etc)

2) The change in the way the configuration is being held in Freepbx and how configuration will be implemented in Elastix 3.0 is going to be different. As you can appreciate almost every piece of configuration fabric is going to different.

I should have mentioned it earlier, I think that Elastix 2.4 (beta at the moment) will run in parallel for quite a while, and Elastix 3.0 may be for new installs for quite a while. Older installs of Elastix will move to Elastix 3.0 when they see something that they really want.

But the Elastix crew have surprised us in the past, and may be already considering an upgrade path/utility (or even a subset to make the rebuild easier), but I would not hang your hat on it.

Regards

Bob

asterisk v.11 Release Type LTS EOL 2017-10-25

* For DAHDI channels, the CHANNEL() dialplan function now allows
the dialplan to request changes in the configuration of the active
echo canceller on the channel (if any), for the current call only.
The syntax is:

exten => s,n,Set(CHANNEL(echocan_mode)=off)

The possible values are:

on - normal mode (the echo canceller is actually reinitialized)
off - disabled
fax - FAX/data mode (NLP disabled if possible, otherwise completely disabled)
voice - voice mode (returns from FAX mode, reverting the changes that
were made when FAX mode was requested)

So I downloaded Elastix 3.0 just to see the kind of stuff being done and its looking good. Thought I would play with it some, but it seems you have to create a user to create an extension. Everytime I try to create a user it tells me "User couldn't be created. Username is not valid."

For those of you who have played with 3.0, is there some special process to creating users and extensions? Also I noticed its telling me on the system dashboard that the web server is not running, but yet I am using the web interface.

Any suggestions?

I think you guys are making a huge mistake trying to go your own way. FreePBX in its current state was many years in the making. If you think you are going to just fork it or whatever and carry on your merry way best of luck with that.

Just look at what happened to Trixbox when they did that. Granted, some of that clusterfuk was probably intentional since all Fonality wanted to do since day one was draw people towards their paid products and nothing else.

I've watched this project for a long time and lately Elastix seems to just barely keep up with Asterisk updates and FreePBX v1.8 is getting very long in the tooth now so you guys are way behind there. Only being able to support php 5.1 says a lot as well. I think a lot of that has to do with some of the decisions Elastix has made such as trying too hard to obfuscate FreePBX into the background. Also trying to bundle all sorts of bells and whistles not directly related to VoIP which creates all sorts of extra development and testing work and a lot of it not tested properly and not working rather than just trying to focus on being a good PBX. Sometimes it makes more sense to just go with the flow rather than create more work for yourselves than necessary. Also quite often less is more.

Anyways, best of luck. I think you are going to need it. I'm not saying this as a hater. I like the Elastix project but I think you guys have made some bad decisions over the years and this is probably the worst.

I've been checking out 3.0 for a few days and I'm loving it so far. It has some bugs, that's to be expected since it's in alpha stages, not even beta.

I like that it's going to be multi-tennant. You can create the same extension numbers under different organizations and they don't conflict. Although, one lost function of multi-tennant, compared to custom-context, is the ability to keep the extensions on one system (or organization) but specify individual outbound routes. Perhaps this could be an added feature if it's not already planned.

As for the username, I have noticed a bug. Or, possibly it was designed that way?

When creating a user, it seems to only allow numbers for a user name, so I just used the extension number as the user name. However, if you're creating users in an office environment and want their user name something like first.last@domain.com (assuming e-mail is provided on the elastix 3.0, which it looks like it will be) then alphanumeric would be a good idea. Is this perhaps a limit of that particular field in the database? Is it set to int instead of varchar? I haven't really looked into that yet.

Overall, I like the was Elastix is going, especially with the realtime database configuration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orbit114