Elastix 2.0 Installation Guide

Discussion in 'General' started by rafael, Nov 8, 2010.

1. rafael

Bob Fryer just published his first edition of Elastix 2.0 installation Guide. This is a must read for newbies, specially with Elastix 2.0.

Enjoy,

Rafael

2. danardf

Hi all.

Thanks Rafa for this information, good work Bob.
    However, I wondered if Elastix Without Tears should not be updated too?! :huh:

Regards

3. Bob

Bob

Danardf,

Thanks for the comments, and thanks to Rafael for posting it.

I am not sure where the status is with Elastix Without Tears. I do know Ben has been overseas a fair amount (working) and possibly has not had enough time to work on updating Elastix without Tears.

I have started putting together a series of technical papers, the Installation Guide being one of them...I felt it was important to get this one out as the Elastix 2.0 install is not similar to the Elastix 1.x installs, especially as it is not just selecting defaults.

I have another paper just about finished, which is enabling SNMP on Elastix 2.0 systems with the Asterisk MIB's allowing you to monitor your system using various management systems including Nagios.

The idea of these papers is not just a step by step, but also explain why we are using the particular settings and if possible trouble shooting tips and methods.

To be fair I have not made contact with Ben for a couple of months, so I might contact him and see where he is at. Maybe I can help update or take it under my wing for a while....

Will let you know....

Bob

4. danardf

Hi Bob.

Indeed, The Release 2.0 isn't the same that the Release 1.x about installation.
    We cannot blame Ben because it's still a very good work.
    But I think that gonna be necesary to realise out a new redaction.

Regards

5. Bob

Bob

Danardf,

Just spoke to Ben....he is still in Malaysia.....He says that he is intending to update Elastix without Tears, which is good news.

As you said Ben has put a lot of work into EWT, that's why I am not jumping around saying lets get something new together for Elastix 2.0, as I know the amount of work that it takes. I only put a 4-5 chapters together for EWT and even that was a struggle.

But I agree with your last point....probably need to think things through in terms of direction especially to keep the information relevant.

Think we should take a small amount of time to think things through....

Regards

Bob

6. allegedlyme

Great setup guide thanks.

7. igortemp

I have downloaded the stable release of Elastix 2.0.3 from page http://elastix.org/en/downloads/main-distro.html.
    Has written down on CD. Has rebooted. Has chosen language.
    Has chosen keyboard layout. And the system gives out me the message: "The Elastix CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Elastix CD and press OK to retry."
    The Same message appears on different computers and even with the stable release of Elastix 1.6.
    Please, prompt that I do incorrectly!
    Thanks!
    P.S. Please answer an E-mail igortemp@mail.ru

8. Bob

Bob

igortemp,

It sounds like as it initialises the disk subsystem interface, and loads the driver it is not recognising the CD Drive.

This can occur on systems where a SATA hard drive is installed and a PATA CDROM is installed. As mentioned in the guide, it talks about the SATA enhanced mode in the BIOS, which will only work with SATA Devices. You may have to select a combined mode (it may be called something different in your BIOS Setup).

Also does it ask for kickstart.cfg, as you may need to load special drivers for the CDROM (if the BIOS settings don't work).

When you have these issues, you need to provide more info, such as what type of machines you tried it on (were they the same model??)....what model were they??

The issue is not so much a Elastix issue, but a combination of Centos and your particular hardware.

Regards

Bob

9. apmuthu

Elastix-2.0.3-x86_64-bin-15nov2010.iso has a defective /isolinux/initrd.img file that fails a CRC check when extracting from inside it. This causes a kernel panic and install fails.

Please upload the MD5 chacksums for the files at sourceforge:
    Elastix v2.0.3
    and
    Elastix v1.6.2-rc3

10. gabrielstation

I am beginner in elastix. I have a brand new installation of elastix 2.0.3 (my system: atom processor D510, 2 Gb Ram, 500 Gb ram sata hdd). I can connect with google chrome browser but just if on elastix box : iptables -F. On the web gui i have just the System Tab. What's wrong with my elastix box ? Thanks.

11. dicko

There is probably nothing wrong with your hardware, it is probably just that PaloSanto have steadfastly refused to update the syslinux kernel they distribute for installing the Elastix system for more than two years now, go figure, a functional one is available on the Centos distro they based the current distro on but they just chose for some unknown reason not to redistribute it, just a VERY lame older version. Please care to post a bug in the bug-tracker link below.

12. sk

sk

Hello guys i am new in elastix and Voip world. i tried to install elastix on my pc. first it was seems that I install success, but when it try to boot it write me this :

Booting 'Elastix (2.6.18.-194.3.1.e15)'
    root (hd0,0)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.3.1.e15 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/logVo100
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00 , size=0x1c7e94]

maybe someone will help me to solve this problem and install Elastix...

13. sk

sk

well as it seems no one will help me !! very sad!!

14. Mathiau

Any chance to include a section on using the RAID feature in elastix?

i tried it but kept getting told i need at least 2 software raid drives? ? ?

i have 2 HD's connect to the motherboard already?

15. veritech

I discovered an error in the install.

1. My Promise FastTrak SX4100 crashes anaconda
    2. Grub defaults to CentOS kernel, not Elastix. I don't know if this was after doing a yum update or not.

I discovered this as I was trying to configure my Digium, Inc. Wildcard AEX410 4-port analog card (PCI-Express) (rev 11), which was showing under lspci but dahdi was not starting and the card wasn't starting up (no lights).
    I noticed that the kernel modules for dahdi didn't match the kernel that I was running. after switching the default from 0 to 1 in /etc/grub.conf and rebooted everything was fine.

Joe

16. tsinelas30

17. accesip

Exactly same for me.
    I'm using a compaq despro ENL/p1.0/20e/6/128/an with Hard disk and CD using IDE.
    I can boot, enter language and keyboard but after plase insert Elastix CD.

In the pas elastix 1.6 was installed on it. Now I want to install version 2 but!!!

Brice de Marseille

18. tumbleweed

Is installing 2.2 from 2.0 straigh forward? - Thanks

19. accesip

I try to scratch previous install, and install the 2.2 instead of 1.6.

Brice

20. Bob

Bob

This is going to come down to some hardware compatibility issue / BIOS Settings.

The most like culprit with be the settings with the HD controller. The other possibility is that the CD is plugged into the master of the second IDE port, and would be best as a slave on the first IDE port.

yes you may have been able to install Elastix 1.6, but as they increase driver detection in later versions, it may impact early systems, and to be honest, even though it is great to press old hardware into action, the hardware you are using is very old, and if it still has its 128Mb of memory, it may not be enough.

But before you do any of that, reburn your CD, at a much slower speed (say 4x) and see if that gets past the issue before attempting any of the above.

Regards

Bob