Elastix 2.0.2 on XEN

gesa60

Just installed Elastix from last released ISO on XEN under CentOS (paravirt) with APPARENTLY no issues. But obviously something gone wrong: web interface quite corrupted (missing files, for example modules/userlist/*, dahdi modules, ...).
In /root/install.log I DON'T see a lot of required rpm (elastix-pbx, elastix-system, and so on); last installed rpm seems RoundCubeMail ...
Any suggestion?

jman

Installing elastix properly on xen is bit tricky. Here are some of the stuff that you may want to watch for.

1. You will need a dahdi driver installed. If you have hardware and want to use it from your DomU, you will have to deal with pciback (hiding PCI devices).

2. If you use dahdi dummy, there is a version that you can use specialized for xen.

You will need dahdi for Music on hold and Meetme.

If you do not have proper dahdi, you still should have proper GUI though. So, I am not sure where your problem is.

How do you install your Elastix with XEN? It is a bit tricky. The iso can not run in paravirtualization during installation right? You may a have to install it in hvm first. Then, you can convert your xen hvm to xen paravirtualization.

gesa60

First of all thanks for your reply.
Anyway I did it!
Here my steps (maybe useful for other users):

Centos 5.5 on my host
Elastix 2.0.0rc3 ISO image mounted on host (Domain_0)
- mount -o loop ISONAME.iso /var/www/html/Elastix
service httpd started
- service httpd start
copied ks_xen.cfg (root of iso tree) OUT of Elastix dir
- cp ks_xen.cfg ..
ks_xen.cfg edited: commented out line 21 (containing only "cdrom")
launched command

- virt-install \
--network=bridge:xenbr0 \
--name=ELASTIX --ram=380 \
--disk path=/vmsimages/ELASTIX.img,size=15 \
--nographics \
--paravirt \
--accelerate \
--location http://192.168.1.2/Elastix \
--ks http://192.168.1.2/ks_xen.cfg

(192.168.1.2 is the local host IP)
after installation (and reboot) launched
- yum update

That's all!
I hope nothing forgotten ...
Just finished and it seems to work properly!

IMPORTANT: same procedure with Elastix 2.0.2 ends successfully BUT it seems some bug exists on release, cause web interface of Elastix doesn't work properly ...

jeffreywt

I'm having the same issue with the web interface and dahdi driver.

When the system starts, it fails to load dahdi.

Then the web interface looks like this:

It's missing everything but the system tab. The FreePBX part works fine but without dahdi, I'm sure many functions will not work. This is disappointing because I am having no such issues running Elastix 1.6 under Xen.

PS - Turn off SELinux by default and it's Operator not Operador :)

dicko

You should post a bug in the bug-tracker below, to my remembrance xen support was supposed to be removed from Elastix in 2.0 for many reasons, I suspect that they half-assed that removal, and you are stuck in the twilight zone, boot the non-xen kernel and compare

danieldoe

Hi, im having the exact same problem, webgui just dosent work. Did you manage to solve the problem?? please share the solution.

gblades

I am trying to get it fully working aswell. I think I am almost there.

I am running xenserver and have installed elastix using the centos 5.4(64bit) template.
This is a list of the problems I have come across and fixed so far :-

1)
Although the kernel-zen rpm was installed the dahdi and other kernel modules are not installed. You need to install :-
kernel-module-dahdi-xen
kernel-module-rhino-xen
kernel-module-wanpipe-xen
kernel-xen-devel

2) selinux is set to enforcing which breaks a few things. Just set it back to disabled and reboot.

3) There are lots of rpms missing especially a lot of elastix-module-* ones which is the main cause the web interface looks broken. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9594296/workingrpms.txt contains a list of rpms from another install I did which does work (installed via other-iso xen method) so you can do a 'rpm -qa | sort' and compare your rpms against the list and install any missing ones.

4) Iptables is enabled by default and disabled access to port 80/443

5) Using the centos xen template causes the system to be installed in headless mode. This in turn causes a notification message to appear and get recorded when you are asked for the mysql password.
This in turn corrupts the config (mysql passwordline) in /etc/elastix.conf and the password set for mysql. You need to fix the config file and then use the password recovery procedure in mysql to reset the root password.
Then rerun /etc/init.d/elastix-firstboot to get the mysql tables created.
You will then need to edit that startup script and change line 43 to 'FIRSTBOOT=1' and run it again so you get prompted to set the web passwords. When done change the line back again.

gblades

I still have two problems remaining.

1) The 'pbx' tab generates a blank screen when clicked on but if I go to the /admin url freepbx complains about a database connection error. Probably related to the mysql password issue.

2) In the addons plugin I get the message 'Addon elastix-conferenceroom requires libjasper.so.1()(64bit'. I cant find the rpm which provides this.

jeffreywt

I have not had a chance to try it again. Thank you gblades for your work on this and for posting your updates. Perhaps an update will address these issues.

gblades

The pbx tab showing blank was an easy fix. The password for 'asteriskuser' in the database was set incorrectly. Probably related to issue 5. Resetting the password got it working.

jhansen858

I just want to save everyone a boatload of trouble...

If your considering using xen for this, don't.. Use vmware. I just went through a 6 month hard core test of xen in production environment. The project was fraught with problems. I would call it an absolute nightmare.

our xen setup

1) cisco fiberchannel switch (mds 9140)
2) 16 gb ram dell 1950's (emulux fiber channel cards)
3) cx700 EMC san with 25TB storage
4) cisco 4506 switches with

the problems

1) xen is not yet part of the linux main kernel. This means installing xen tools is a pain for this elastix distro kernel as you have already seen.

2) xen never really worked correctly. We would get random server locks...

3) installing the xen tools was not easy, i was never confident that the image i built was 100% proper.. Alot of hacking had to go into getting xen tools to install...

After 6 months of running production customers on this, we dumped xen and went back to VMware.

Vmware is much more suited for this application even though its more expensive. In a larger scale production environment, xen is just not ready yet. With the introduction of xen into the 3.0 mainline kernel maybe in a year or so it would be ready. For now I would avoid it for exastix.

nachogomez

caldwell

We've used Elastix on a Xen environment (free version / CentOS) for well over a year, and it works fine. Granted, we use it in HVM mode, not paravirtualized.

But it's possible that you have a bad Xen implementation...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colak