Elastix-1.1Vmware Image

Amphibian

I see this in the "Download" section. Is there any info within here on the intent and setup of this Vm ? I saw a small setup guide in the "Documentation" section but find no ref. to purpose and installation procedures.

Can this be used as an actual Vm so that I can have multi-tenant setup (on one machine instead of the 100 different machines running now), something I am in serious need of. I have researched other Vm info and it doesn't appear to work well (if at all) with Elastix/Asterisk as read. Am I incorrect on this?

Would like to know and/or talk with someone whom has setup a Vm with Elastix running as a multi-client/multi-tenant.

Thanks
William

dicko

Elastix/Asterisk does not as yet support multi-tenant if you mean two tenants with the same extension schema, you will need to look elsewhere, perhaps Thirdlane but it's not free, or is it in my opinion particularly effective. A SIP proxy such as Sipexec/freeswitch/opensip will work for you but be prepared to get your hands dirty.

Virtualization will support multiple installations of Elastix on one piece of hardware if you restrict yourself largely to SIP/IAX2 trunks, but if indeed you have 100 machines, then forget it, you will need a VERY BIG MACHINE to do that.

Given your 100 machines, and presumably 100 clients, I have to suggest you need a much deeper understanding of the VOIP.

Amphibian

I was looking for the "cheapest" way to do a few thing.

I run an answering service here, each client wants what everyone wants, abilities to access their voice mails, call detail records etc... (all the things asterisk offers) and at the same time forward their phones to us for after hours, etc....

In doing so I can't have a client see any info pertaining to other clients. Hence, several different machines.

I'm new to Asterisk, like a few others out here, not new to the Linux world. Thought that maybe VM would be a good solution to cutting back on machines.

I'm always open to constructive suggestions or ideas on how to better do something that I might not have thought off, especially from a high intellect person such as yourself.

Thank you for the info.

William

dicko

Then most of that is available from ARI (asterisk recording interface)originally a standalone from Littlejohn Consulting and hopefully available at http://<ipaddredss>/recordings as part of FreePBX,

I believe the call records will be sufficiently filtered in the Elastix Portal itself, but you will have to set up the users/groups to restrict permissions to suit (particularly the PBX interface)

It is possible also to set up users in FreePBX to a limited range of extensions with a subset of the FreePBX modules, you might need to explore what that exposes that you don't want, and dig through the code if necessary.

regards and good luck

dicko

Mathiau

What are the current hardware specs of most servers?
What is the usage of most of those servers

going VM makes sense on so many levels, i just put Elastix on a VM, but still working on getting a physical network card to properly pick up vs using the virtual connections.

If these are much older servers like netburt xeons, then you could likely build a newer AMD six core x2 or even some dual 771 /1366 quad xeons that could take the load of at least 5-6 machines each, as long as you have a decent I/O system behind it, top them out with 12-16G of ram each. I had spec'd out some dual six core (total of 12 cores) AMD servers from dell with 8 x 74G 15k SAS drives, 12G of ram for $5K us.

that could easily cut you down to maybe 20 servers instead of 100, but it isn't going to be cheap either.

coryjsanders

dicko. Trying to set up mulit-tenancy as described in EWT. Setting up the three IVRs no problem. Can restrict inbound callers from dialing by extension easy enough by unchecking the Enable Direct Dial box on the IVR (this is important to me so someone calling dental can't accidentally dial a medical extension). I have set the context on my different extensions to from-internal-medical; from-internal-dental; from-internal-primary. When I did this it disabled all 4-digit dialing. I followed the directions and put the three contexts in extensions_custom.conf , but I have since taken them out. I have installed customcontexts-0.3.3.tgz by saving the file to my desktop, bringing it into /var/www/html/admin/modules by WinSCP and doing tar -xzvf customcontexts-0.3.3.tgz
rm -f customcontexts-0.3.3.tgz. only instead of typing .3.tgz, I typed .3.tar because my file was a tar file. Seemed to load in 5 or so files/folders. Performing the remove removed the customcontexts-0.3.3.tar from the folder.

Followed the directions, installed the Contexts Module in FreePBX. Created the three contexts:from-internal-medical; from-internal-dental; from-internal-primary. Am able to modify them. Here is my problem. I want to restrict phones from 4-digit dialing extensions not in their context group. On dental I put the other two extensions in the dial plan, and it allowed me to dial all the phones. Took out the rules and can still dial all. on the other two contexts I can not 4-digit dial at all. Just get a dial tone when I key the 4 digits and press send. There's a lot goinng on here. If you could detail steps you think will work to prevent 4-digit dialing to other contexts it would be great. Thanks as always.

<edit> went back to the Tools/Custom Contexts Admin and changed one of my contexts there. It wasn't showing up in the Setup/Custom Contexts individual lists, ie, I set up 3 contexts, and only two of them were showing with all the features, ie
app-blacklist, etc. I renamed it (it was 7230and7236<from-internal-primary>; changed it to 72307236<from-internal-primary> and it works; and and now all three show up on each of the three contexts. 4-digit dialing is restored to all phones, too. Will try again on the dial plan and limiting through the drop downs.

dicko

Sorry dude, I have absolutely no idea of what you are trying to do or what isn't working, nor do I have the inclination to deconstruct your convolutions :) . It generally works just as advertised.

Again, KISS and start with baby steps, one custom context one restriction, does that make sense?

dicko

p.s. If you go that route, I suggest you send 50 bucks to FreePBX or watch custom-contexts sail into the sunset.

coryjsanders

I know that was convoluted as hedoublehockeysticks. the contexts listed in my extensions_custom.conf file were all jacked up. There was no consistency in the outbound routes. I don't think it got loaded properly. I ended up deleting all the Contexts I made in FreePBX. I have extensions 2000-2009 set up. I simply want to prevent 2000-2003 from calling 2004-2007 and 2008-2009, and vice versa. I don't want one company mis keying a 4-digit dial and getting another company on the same box! Any advice? I'm going to take up the manual way shown in EWT tomorrrow. Thanks.

dicko

no advice from me , it's already been given, it works but with every proviso it's not for the newbie, I hope you don't count yourself within catchment anymore, go with the force Luke

And the 50 bucks? did you? grease the wheel or listen to the squeaks, now or later!

dicko

coryjsanders

Okay. Got it working. Makes perfect sense now that I see the order of things in The Force, this part, at least. Found out you can not name your Outbound Route the same as your Trunk. If you do, and comment out the Outbound Route, the calls still go! Got a nice busy signal now when I try to hit my Outbound Route with the from-restricted extension. I read at FreePBX.org -- one guy liked the Custom Contexts Manager because creating multiple contexts was very cumbersome the old way. I could see that if I had 100 customers on a box, I would have to have at least 100 different from-xxxx designations, and in each one, define all the extensions that the "restricted" group could not call. Can you put multiple contexts per extension?

coryjsanders

I disabled Custom Contexts in FreePBX. I don't think it loaded right. I am perfecty willing to pay $50 to get help on installing it correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti