Echo thru sip to pstn

Amphibian

Elastix 1.5-12
Internal Net 192.168.xxx.xxx with DynDns setup

I have problem with calls made from sip to pstn. If I call in from pstn to softphone no echo, if I call out from softphone thru Voip trunk to pstn big time echo. If I call in from pstn, route thru DISA back to pstn, major echo.

I have searched on this site for "sip echo" and haven't found much except for zap trunks.

Any suggestions on where to look or what I might do to correct this would be helpful.

Thanks

PS: and, Yes I have rtfm on EWT and don't see any ref. to this issue except for zap trunks dicko

dicko

It sounds like your analog trunks are greatly imbalanced, the clue being

. . .If I call in from pstn, route thru DISA back to pstn, major echo . . .

DISA is local and for the most part instantaneous, largely an almost perfect gozinta/gozouta fifo buffer, so it must be the analog trunk settings.

I suggest you look at adjusting rx/txgain in chan_dahdi.conf, with the use of milliwatt testing and dahdi_monitor (you have to stop asterisk and restart dahdi between iterations), you have to do that for both inbound and outbound calls. There is a built in milliwatt test function in Asterisk for inbound, you need to find your own local one for outbound. Having done that you should run fxotune -i (with the appropriate parameters for your locale) to further balance your 2/4 wire hybrid on the fxo interfaces. Do all that with any hard/software echo cancelling defeated. Then turn on your echo cancelling in dahdi, I think you will be amazed at the difference.

SIP is largely echo free unless you are calling over a hugely latent circuit, the audio paths are separate (in effect a 4-wire circuit) so delay is possibly a problem but not echo (which needs acoustic coupling, which could only come from the far end (in effect a 2-wire circuit), and the telco's have much better echo cancellation than we have access to).

If that all sounds like gibberish, there a quite a few posts here more long winded (some even from me) but basically echo canceling (which is based on Fast Fourier Transforms, (just math :) )) is more effective when the audio paths are balanced into the hybrid.

If you have a T1(E1) look at the gain settings on your DS1/CSU hardware as they are usually set wildly wrong.

Amphibian

Thanks Dicko,

I have one X100 card installed but no lines to pstn running to it, it is just installed, not in use.

All I have is Voip trunks coming into machine, running softphones on other computers within house. If someone calls in from land line, or, if I call someone out from softphone to land line I get echo on landline side and very little on softphone side. I call is made from landline to voip number, then routed out thru DISA by way of another voip trunk to cell phone, land line I get major echo problems.

I have tried to enable/disable echo cancellation within softphone (Zoiper Brand) and it appears to make no dif.

I had problems, some real problems, with NAT issues and little echo under same conditions, so I wiped clean server, installed lastest version of Elastix stable and signed up for DYNDNS. Probs with nat went away but echo got worse.

Am wondering if this is a voip provider issue or if I need to trash softphones and go with ATA's or voip phones or if there is maybe a delay issue I need to correct on my server.

I have read a lot of post here and at other sites till I blue in the brain, they all deal with echo issues while using pstn cards within server, since I don't have any in use and all calls are made in/out thru voip trunks, I'm not finding anything that covers my issue per se.

Thanks again Dicko

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feparra121