Direct Inward Dialing

Discussion in 'General' started by lbennett, Jun 8, 2008.

1. lbennett

Is there a way I can dial an extension from outside without having to have another DID? Can I dial my usual DID plus an extension number?

2. firstboy

If I get what you want to achieve correctly, I would say yes. That is the purpose of a PABX after all - Sharing one DID with many phones. But you need to have hunting facility if you want to receive and make calls at the same time.

For callers to press their extension yo will need to create an IVR. The IVR will let the caller dial an extention.

3. DaveD

You could setup on your inbound route to detect your
    caller id and direct it to a company dir of extensions

4. lbennett

I'm aware that I could do it with IVR but I don't want to use an IVR. I want to dial an extersion direct. I don't think it will work. I believe the incoming call header has more information and I thought if it contained extra digits dialled that this information could be used to direct a call.

5. lbennett

If I setup an inbound route for the DID as described no other extensions would receive incoming calls unless they were answered by the extension in question and manually transferred. It looks like the only option is to have extra DIDs. I was hoping to avoid this.

6. firstboy

I am not too sure if you add extra digits to a 8 digit number (for example) it will be included in the call header. In my country I don't think it does. I think in many countries it is now disallowed due to possible misuse.

Just a thought.. won't the caller find it weird that the number they are calling is not of normal number of digits?

7. cotter

AFAIK, the only way is to have a DID for each separate number you want to route. We have 100 DIDs for routing to different extensions and some for faxes. Our main DID routes to the receptionist. It's a very easy setup and our telco only charges $0.10/month each number. Why do you want to avoid it?

8. infomate

Why not setup the IVR and then dial the DID number as is and add a PAUSE (comma) and then the local number. like: 2258873,106.
    By the time the IVR kicks in the dialing party waits for 1 to 2 sec. before dialing the local number. This dialing can be set on most telephone with memory and fast dial.