Digium G729 codec problems

Discussion in 'General' started by gleats, Jan 18, 2008.

1. gleats

Hi,

I have purchased a number of g729 codec licenses from Digium and have followed the instructions to install. I have added allow=g729 to sip.conf and forced an extension to use only g729. When a call is made, it rings and then when it is answered it fails.

IN the CLI when I 'core show translation' I see a table with all of the relevant figures next to g729 and for show g729 I get '0/0 encoders/decoders of 5 licensed channels are currently in use'

In the asterisk log file, the error listed is 'chan_sip.c: No compatible codecs, not accepting this offer!'

Has anyone else experienced this error/problem and is there a solution?

Thanks, Gary

2. cowboy47

I realize that you said you followed the instructions but have you verified that the codec is in the modules directory? You have to copy it there from the /root /codec_<version> directory to /usr/lib/asterisk/modules

Also check the ownership & rights of the files. I think the owner needs to be asterisk.

C

3. gleats

Hi Cowboy,

I have verified that the codec is in the /usr/lib/asterisk/modules directory and I changed the file ownership to asterisk instead of root and the calls are still failing.

Gary

4. DaveD

Here is something you might like to check as Digium compiled G729 different in asterisk 1.4

Something has changed as it now requires

codec_g729-ast14-icc-glibc-pentium­ ­ 4.so

instead of

codec_g729-ast14-gcc-glibc-pentium­ ­ 4.so

Above is for P4 systems

5. gleats

Hi Dave,

When I couldn't get the Digium one to work, I started looking for other options and I have tried both the gcc and icc versions of the free codec and the error is still the same. When using the free codec, do I need to change the owenership to asterisk or leave it as root?

Gary

6. DaveD

I believe it still needs to be owned from asterisk

I have the bandwidth spare so dont use g729 just ulaw and alaw

7. Telco

This just might be a simple question but I did not see any referance to it.

Have you Loaded the codec thru the cli?

From root navigate to /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/

your codec should be in that directory, if it is not put it there.

At the root prompt type asterisk -r ( a new prompt will appear CLI)

At the CLI prompt type load name_of_codec.so

elastix*CLI> load name_of_codec.so

Then type exit at the CLI prompt.

Click on the Asterisk CLI button under the PBX tab.

In the field box enter core show codecs.

Press the execute button.

In the list look for the g729 codec. If you see it then you have successfully installed the codec.

Hope that helps.

8. CleveJ

I use the Digium g729 codec, at root issue the following.

asterisk -rvvv

it should look like below

root@pbx:~ $ asterisk -rvvv

This will be your result or similar

Asterisk 1.4.15, Copyright (C) 1999 - 2007 Digium, Inc. and others.
    Created by Mark Spencer <markster@digium.com>
    Asterisk comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type 'core show warranty' for details.
    This is free software, with components licensed under the GNU General Public
    License version 2 and other licenses; you are welcome to redistribute it under
    certain conditions. Type 'core show license' for details.
    =========================================================================
    == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf': Found
    Connected to Asterisk 1.4.15 currently running on pbx (pid = 2488)
    Verbosity is at least 3
    pbx*CLI>

Now issue the following command

show g729

it should look like below

pbx*CLI> show g729

you should get the following results

0/0 encoders/decoders of 6 licensed channels are currently in use

I have 6 licenses so these are my results, hope this is of help to you. If you are still finding it difficult post back and I will write a step by step document on how to install the g729 codec.

Cheers

EDIT: Or still better follow this document. http://ftp.digium.com/pub/telephony/codec_g729/README<br><br>Post edited by: Stilllearning, at: 2008/01/23 05:59

9. AU Troll

I just started having the same issues with the g729 codec. I downloaded the newest v33 codecs for my pent4 machine, and did all i need to do to install it. I see my fives licenses go live in the asterisk log, and the core show translation gives me the times for the g729 as it should the cli for show g729 gives me five licenses in use(?-they are not in use no active channels).

I noticed that the new codecs are dated 30/1/08 where as the ones I used to use were dated sometime in November last year I believe...so i am thinking that the codecs are stuffed up somehow...

does anyone have the novem 07 codecs they could email to me?? if so, please send them to mhuff<@>pegasus<dot>yi<dot>org

Thanks heaps...

10. ramoncio

I think this might solve your problems:
    Code:
    chmod +x /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/codec_g72*
    service asterisk restart

Here is my full script to install g729 and g723:

Code:
    wget http://asterisk.hosting.lv/bin/codec_g723-ast14-icc-glibc-pentium4.so
    mv codec_g723-ast14-icc-glibc-pentium4.so /usr/lib/asterisk/modules
    chmod +x /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/codec_g723-ast14-icc-glibc-pentium4.so
    wget http://asterisk.hosting.lv/bin/codec_g729-ast14-icc-glibc-pentium4.so
    mv codec_g729-ast14-icc-glibc-pentium4.so /usr/lib/asterisk/modules
    chmod +x /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/codec_g729-ast14-icc-glibc-pentium4.so
    asterisk -rx "module load codec_g729-ast14-icc-glibc-pentium4.so"
    asterisk -rx "module load codec_g723-ast14-icc-glibc-pentium4.so"
    service asterisk restart
    asterisk -rx "core show codecs"

<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2008/02/13 17:05

11. cowboy47

The rights might be an issue but also check to see what you have activated on the phone side. In your extensions definition there is also an allow & deny option, make sure that you are allowing g729 to the extension and make sure the phone is configured for g729.

C

12. AU Troll

All the codecs are in place, the phones are configured correctly (have not changed at all it the last 3 years), router has not changed in the last three years for ports forwarded, etc, etc, etc.

the only thing that has changed is i (and now wish the he double l that i didn't) download the newest v33 g729 codecs from Digium. they have had to stuff these things up somehow, because, again, with theones I had downloaded back in november worked with no issue....now with these ones from the jan08 folder on Digiums site, i continually get "chan_sip.c: No compatible codecs, not accepting this offer!" when a call comes in.

Just so everyone can see - here is the "show g729" cli output

"0/0 encoders/decoders of 5 licensed channels are currently in use"

and i have tried the pentium. the i686, and the i586 versions of the g729....all do the same thing.

this is really ticking me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i know it is not Elastix's fault....it is digium's!!!!!

13. gleats

A GLEaTS update:

Out of frustration, I ended up saving/backing up the digium codec and registration file and reinstalling Elastix. Once reinstalled and reconfigured, I first tested with the free codec and then copied the relevant Digium files back (ie after removing/moving the free codec) and everything just worked.

I am suspecting that the problem arose via the Digium registration process (but I am unwilling to try to confirm) which was not required on the reinstall as all I needed to do was to copy the files.

14. cowboy47

Glad that you resolved this, but by chance did you open a ticket with Digium? If there is an issue (hidden or otherwise) it would be great if they were aware of it and hopefully correct it.

15. gleats

I did request support from Digium, unfortunately it took over a week for Digium to respond. By the time that they responded I had already reinstalled...