Dial Pattern and Codec Selection Guru Help Needed!

Discussion in 'General' started by shinacalypse, Dec 28, 2009.

1. shinacalypse

Dec 15, 2009
    This may seem like a very silly question, but i have a number of elastix boxes spread out over the internet (poor VSAT links, Huawei routers with DNAT definitions at each site). I am trying to achieve interconnecting calls between them, using iax2 trunking and routing.

There are about 12 of them, and as such in my outbound routes' Dial Rules (for each iax2 route), i have 1|., 2|., 3|., --> 10|., 11|., and 12|., for each route definition (excluding the "9|.", because elastix uses that by default for the zaptel/dahdi route).

My issue is, i can call to other sites from all elastix through all the outbound routes, until i get to the double-digit ones (10|., 11|., and so forth). I'm sure there may be other reasons for calls to fail, but I just want to make sure that it's OK to have double-digit dial pattern definitions of this sort? I have three digit-long extension numbers defined at each location, the same for all elastix servers and attendant IP phones(this is -> 101-1XX).

I would also like to know which codec would (in your opinion) be best for iax2 which is using VSAT links claiming to have 512kbps/1MBps (uplink/downlink) at each site. In practice, i doubt if i am getting all that, and I already suffer from a double-hop situation, as the network makes me have each call originated, have to pass through the VSAT provider's NOC before getting to the destination. Right now I'm defaulting to ulaw, (I have a very simple iax2 configuration), which codec is best and comes provided by default in elastix, and can conserve bandwidth?

I hope this makes sense!
    hope to hear from you soon,
    Thank you very much in advance.