DHCP and TFTP servers in Elastix

cacaso

Hi there, this is my first Elastix installation and I am stuck with creating a DHCP and TFTP servers, Elastix has been installed without problems, however I have no idea about how to configure the servers mentioned above, I am setting up Elastix to work with Zycoo card and Cisco 7911 IP Phones. Any help is much apprecciated.

Regards.

Carlos.

coryjsanders

Hi cacaso, I think I can help. I've become proficient at programming Polycom phones through the Endpoint Manager, and throught the TFTP server. As far as the DHCP server goes, why don't you just use a stand alone router? If you do this, you have a firewall, that you need. I'm not sure about firewall capabilities by using the DHCP in Elastix. I'd stay away from it if you are new and just use a simple firewall/router. You'll need to open ports 5060 and 10,000-20,000 and point them to your Elastix box. If you are usure about this, ask, or search the forum for info. Ample documentation. But ask if you need help.

First of all, I think you should be able to set your extensions and then plug your phones, do and Endpoint Scan, and then Set all the phones. IF they are supported, the TFTP server in Elastix will program the phones. This is the easy way.

If you know how to program your phones through an exernal TFTP, you can do it another way. But you need to make sure you understand which files the phone needs in its boot process. (I'll add here, that if you don't find what you want here, the paid support at PaloSanto is excellent. Just make sure you have a logmein account set up and SSH capability into your machine before you start using your ticket. You don't want to waste your credits setting this stuff up while they are on the line.)

Tell me if you know how to program your phones through a TFTP server of your own and we'll move on.

cacaso

Hey Cory,

Thanks for the reply, even though I am able to set a DHCP server for the phones using a router, I would prefer to have it working directly in the server, this is because I am setting up Elastix to work in a VPN environment and the firewall does not support a lot of applications including DHCP, on the other hand, I have set up an Asterisk server using Cisco IP Phones 7911 and 7940, but I have no idea whether they are supported directly in Elastix or if I have to do something else such as uploading the SIP firmware version and the config files for each phones.

Any help is much apprecciated.

Kalama Sutra

Hi Carlos,

<< and Howdy Cory >>

I have my Elastix box running as the only DHPC server ( set with an internal range of xxx.xxx.xxx dot 101 -> dot 199 ) on my system ... and I provision my phone units through it. ( I fibbed :dry: ; my off site units are DHPC provisioned via my SmoothWall router setups ;) )

All other items, computers, printers, switches, etc., I have set up with fixed IP addresses << as an aside, mostly a Mac house and use TB2 for "stuff" :whistle: and non- standard port forwarding for the non-Mac items >>

For my VPN connections, I'm using older PC's and SmoothWall << another discussion location / another FOSS item >> for my routers. They have been reliable for me. But, a new learning curve when you get into all the particulars :X .

This may help settle your angst. If not, a buddy of Cory's and mine will probably step in to correct me :pinch: .

Regards & Luck,

Jim

dicko

cacaso:

Good advice here, and welcome to Elastix.

as a precursor, I suggest you read "Elastix Without Tears", it's explained in there, but basically:-

In Elastix you set up the DHCP server (which will also direct your hardware to the tftp server) in the network tab in system, a caveat is it should be the ONLY DHCP server on that network unless you know what you are doing.

The Cisco's will get basic provisioning with the "endpoint manager" but you will need a full set of binaries from Cisco in /tftpboot (I assume you have a maintainance contract so you can download them from Cisco ;) if not, if you snoop around here you will find a few links to "stolen" stuff)

dicko

p.s. My prescience tells me to state that if you have Polycoms you will need to do that binary stuff with polycoms also

coryjsanders

Kalama Sutra, Our buddy seems to have gone silent. I suspect pushing me out of the nest.

Carlos, I can definitely help you on using the internal TFTP. This is definitely the best way to go, but I wanted to make sure you know how to configure your phones on your own TFTP because you have to know which files to import/place into your tftp server.

You want to use WinSCP to import your files into your TFTP. Do you have WinSCP or a simiar program? Once you get the files into the TFTP, you want to SSH into the tftp folder and look at all your files. You need to make sure you have the ownership set up correctly to asterisk -- use the chown command. If you don't know, ask me -- chown asterisk:asterisk <full filename>. Then, you need to look at your MAC file. This is the first file your phone looks for. Its title is the MAC address of your phone with a .cfg at the end. (here is where you need to know the order of files that your phone needs. I know Polycom very well. With the Cisco, there should be one top level file that points to the MAC file, I think). Your MAC file will point to a .cfg file that contains all the line settings, user auth, password, server settings, etc. If you have the correct files in your TFTP folder, and you point the phone to the address of your box (ie 192.168.1.101), the phones will take those files. It is a very quick boot from the box. One thing you have to make sure of is that the phone has its applicaiton file loaded, or that it is in your TFTP folder. I just had an issue where my phone would not boot to my desktop TFTP (for a very strange and esoteric reason that I did fix). I reformatted the file system, and then the phone would not boot back to the Elastix TFTP because the application was gone! I guess I could have loaded those application files into my Elastix TFTP, but I got it worked out another way. At any rate, if you have all the necessary files in your TFTP wiht the ownership set properly, the phones should boot.

Kalama Sutra

Cory,

You must have been typing as dicko hit submit :blush: He has been doing his thing !

Now for Carlos ;)

Best advice around here is to pay attention to the "old" hands, RTFM << look that up, if you need to >> , have a bit of fun, wander around the various sub forums a BUNCH << it helped me to "learn" the language >> and know that for every one problem you come up with, there will be 13 solutions recommended ! :woohoo:

And, Cory's wrong ... :evil: ... if you use a OS X , WinSCP won't help one bit !

Ouch ! << dicko made me hold the rail road spike while he got his "bigger Hammer" >> :X

Regards All,

Jim

ps. Carlos, you may find that submitting your "posting" gets a little weird; one fairly common solution is to 'copy' your post prior to submitting it, just in case the site boots you off. Stops from having double postings. J B)

pps. Cory, looks like you're the "lead" sponsor here ... Karmalized Dude ! ;) <<< Carlos, the pay is real sh**y around here, Karma is appreciated. >>>

dicko

Surely now that OSX is basically BSD (albeit with the good bits taken out) , scp (secure copy , or cp over ssh) should work for appleseeds just like it does for users of real OS's? I'm sure that there is probably a pretty gui "apple app" that wraps that protocol for the self admitted "fat-fingered", no? :(:(

regards to you both

dick

coryjsanders

Kalama Sutra said:
<< dicko made me hold the rail road spike while he got his "bigger Hammer" >>

Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kalama Sutra

Cory,

I forgot to mention, he was showing "off" ...

Blindfolded and swinging the sledge hammer behind his back ... :pinch:

Fortunately, all I got out of that is more fat fingers, no fat head :woohoo:

Regards,

Jim

ps. dicko <no caps> I'll look into a pretty gui. :blush:

coryjsanders

just trying to perfect what I know. Have dicko's "materpiece" for saving backups to move on to once I catch my breath on a few other things and moving all my data from an old PC to a new one. Never enought time in the day...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manuelc