Day/Night key dynamic label is disconcerting

olivier1010

We have found that the dynamic label DAY/Night key is disconcerting for users.

Technically this is very nice, but in the field they never know if they must press the key to get what is written on screen, or if it is the actual state of the system. (Day mode, Night Mode).

More, if we use more than one Day/Night feature inside FreePBX, the dynamic indication can be wrong. It is better i think to rely on the LED for status reporting, lighting it if there is at least one the the day/night feature is activated (logical or function between daynights).

As a general rule, i think it is better to make a light use of those dynamic keys because they can be very ambiguous for beginner users in a company or frequently changing workers.

A phone needs to be fully intuitive for users. Every details in the interface is extremely important to give a rock solid feeling of the system to users.

For this reason as well we never mix phones models in a company. 57i everywhere, this is easier for users, and for us integrators as well.

Would it be possible to make a small modification in the XML scripts to avoid dynamic updates on the Day/Night Key ?

aastra1

Fairly easy to change, in /var/www/html/asterisk/daynight.php

Everytime (2 times) that you have the following line

# Change label if supported
if(Aastra_is_configuration_supported()) $object->addEntry($XML_SERVER.'&action=label&status='.$night);

Delete it

That will do the trick.

Regards

Aastra1

olivier1010

Works nicely. Thanks again.

Perhaps this could be an option inside the file

/var/www/html/aastra/config/asterisk.conf

aastra1

Will think about it for the next version, anyway we have to rewrite this section of asterisk.conf.

aastra1

raj

Hi Aastra,

Long time..

and seems like you guys are also not active on the forum i guess?

well on the same Day/Night control i want to implement password so only authorized users can toggle between day/night modes? just like when we dial *280 it asks for the password can we do the same if we press Day/Night Key and it asks for the password and upon providing password it changes the mode?
please help.

and for 53i i tried to make changes for the top keys as

for

Key 1 - Directory
Key 2 - Transfer
Key 3 - Pick-Up (Speed Dial *8)
Key 4 - Caller List
Key 5 - Call Forward
Key 6 - Logout

I had to do it manually by accessing each phones web interface, which is you know for good number of users its hard, so if u can suggest something easier way? as i couldnt figure out.

and on the other note.

We have some Aastra 57iCT phones with Codeless but power issue (here its 220v) im not able to get codeless phones to work as required power converter isnt available here, is there any such power converter from Aastra (or suggested by Aastra) to use in non-us non-110v countries?

Please respond.

Thank you.

dicko

The templates that generate the <mac>.cfg files in /tftpboot are:

/var/www/html/aastra/asterisk/demo-device-nouser.prf
/var/www/html/aastra/asterisk/demo-device-user.prf
/var/www/html/aastra/asterisk/demo-user.prf

Aastra encourages ius to edit them as appropriate, (I suggest with the XML programming guide and administrative guides from aastra in front of you)

As to power conversion a small (cheap) as is available 220/110 auto-transformer is surely available in any country, plug the aastra cordless power adapter into the "US" socket and the autotransformer into the wall.

raj

Hi Dicko,

You meant by editing xml i can add the password authorization for Day/Night control from Aastra 57i phones?

ok for 53i phones i will work that out with xml programing.

on the power conversion actually we also have Aastra 53i and i brought converter for it and its working fine but for the Codeless set with 57iCT am not able to find the appropriate one electric shops says that its not gonna work here, so that makes my work harder by the way im just a windows guy digging into elastix/asterisk for quite sometime now with help of you and others here i have managed to install two Elastix PBX and both are up since last 4-5 months. Thank you so much.

dicko

If you look at the manuals you will see all sorts of clever XML programming as to how to read data from a user, your imagination and skill is the limiting factor as to where in the day/night button code you use it.

I disagree with your "local electrical stores" they must be MSCE certified too :) , dc is dc in every country in the world. The power jack on the cordless base is technically an RJ25 (RJ = registered jack)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ11,_RJ14,_RJ25

where the outside pair carries the voltage, I can't see what the voltage/polarity current needed is as the brick is under a pile of sh!t. but simple high-school physics will enable you to get a local power brick of the same output voltage (I assume DC) and able to supply equal or more current (amps) and convert whatever output jack used to a properly wired rj25.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dineshr