Dahdi stopped working

Discussion in 'General' started by conduitguy, May 22, 2010.

1. conduitguy

I'm running elastix 1.6/freepbx 2.7.0.2 and have an early version astribank. I'm beating my head on this thing breaking/fixing in order to come up to speed on things. So, I'll admit right now that I probably broke it. I just don't know how, nor how to fix it.

The problem is that dahdi was working great and now it won't load. When I try module load dahdi from the asterisk cli i get:

WARNING[11675]: loader.c:381 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module 'dahdi': /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/dahdi.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've gone into that directory, and sure enough, it's not there. I have another machine I'm setting up for someone which is working and there's no dahdi.so file on it either.

I've spent the past 3 days trying to figure this out, but I'm stuck. At this point, I'm confused (and too inexperienced) about how to track down the problem.

Any suggestions on how to proceed here would be welcomed. I don't generally give up on things but I need some guidance here.

Thanks

2. dicko

the dahdi related modules are chan_dahdi.so and codec_dahdi.so (not dahdi.so ). You should peruse /var/log/asterisk/full as to why they are not loading. My guess is you
    updated with yum repos enabled that "broke stuff", probably your kernel.

3. conduitguy

Thanks for the reply so quickly.

Well, that's one of the things that's frustrating. From looking at other posts, I see that most references are to those, so why is my system looking for dahdi.so?

Also, I've tried module load chan_dahdi with similar failures. I get:

WARNING[13647]: chan_dahdi.c:1810 dahdi_open: Unable to specify channel 1: No such device or address

and the equally informative:

ERROR[13647]: chan_dahdi.c:8602 mkintf: Unable to open channel 1: No such device or address

Could I have a hardware problem? I kind of don't think so because I can run dahdi.init status and see:

[root@asterisk tools]# /root/dahdi-linux-complete-2.3.0+2.3.0/tools/dahdi.init status
    ### Span 1: XBUS-00/XPD-00 "Xorcom XPD #00/00: FXS" (MASTER)
    1 FXS
    2 FXS
    3 FXS
    4 FXS
    5 FXS
    6 FXS
    7 FXS
    8 FXS
    9 Output
    10 Output
    11 Input
    12 Input
    13 Input
    14 Input
    ### Span 2: XBUS-00/XPD-10 "Xorcom XPD #00/10: FXO"
    15 FXO (battery)
    16 FXO (battery)
    17 FXO RED
    18 FXO RED
    19 FXO RED
    20 FXO RED
    21 FXO RED
    22 FXO RED

Yes, I downloaded and tried in frustration to install the latest drivers, but it keeps erroring out on me, so I just use the tools in the package because I know where to find them (i'm too lazy and otherwise perplexed to learn the proper location of the tools).

The status picks up that I still have 2 C.O. trunks connected. I'm not sure if the RED status on the rest are problems or just normal for unterminated ports.

4. dicko

As I said:

You should peruse /var/log/asterisk/full as to why they are not loading.

I do not see anywhere in your posts where your claim that ". . . so why is my system looking for dahdi.so . . ." is substantiated , except when you did it.

But you need to read and understand the differences between Astricom's and Elastix' methods, of maintaining a functional dahdi subsystem (I wish this were not the case but it is).

dicko

p.s. We don't have a"lazy and perplexed" forum here yet, perhaps you should ask the moderators to make one for you, but I think that would be a cold and lonely place though.

"Lazy and perplexed" will not help you. "Motivated and prepared to learn" would, I suggest, be a better mindset for you to get further help here. I can pretty well assure you that nobody here will "do homework" for you self admitted "lazy" people.

5. conduitguy

Well, it finally started sinking in... I finally understand that I'm testing by trying to load something that just isn't there!!

Of course, I still have no dahdi channels, but at least I'm not barking up the wrong tree. Thank you!

So at this point I think the problem is related to a missing file. According to the log, it can't find /dev/dahdi/transcode.

ERROR[3859] codec_dahdi.c: Failed to open /dev/dahdi/transcode: No such file or directory

I checked, and sure enough it's not there. What I'm not sure of is if it's created dynamically or what and I'm too much of a linux noob to know what is going on.

I tried touching it, but of course, it's not the right file type and I can't figure out how to change it.

I tried ftping a copy transcode over from the other machine I have on the bench, but that didn't seem to work.

Is there some way to rebuild this file?

6. dicko

Yes, the files in the /dev filesystem (devices) are generated by either the kernel or modules that load, it is volatile and not disk based, play there at your risk.
    if dahdi is not loading then it won't be there, when it is loaded it will be, that's all.

You seem determined not to look in /var/log/asterisk/full to find out why it is not loading, why is that?

I hope your aware that "touching" a file that is not there will by it's own action create an empty file there, this is probably not what you need to do,. I suggest it's back to the basic FM's for a while :)

dicko

7. conduitguy

Well, once again, thank you. You didn't spoon feed me (and I didn't want you to) but you gave me just the right direction to figure things out for myself.

I finally got things working again by rebuilding dahdi. I was just this close to sh##-canning the whole system and re-installing so it was sort of a hail-Mary type thing.

I paid attention to you, and went back to the log and figured out that for some reason, dahdi just wasn't working. Since I had spent now 4 days staring at this thing I just stopped trying to isolate the problem and try to fix it.

In the end, I've got dahdi 2.3.0 running with oslec, so it's all good. I started to get excited when the inbound calls started playing the old "no longer in service" until I remembered I'm using zap channel did's for call routing.

Thanks again

Bob

8. dicko

You are welcome,

Plus one karma to you for not being lame. "Hail Mary"'s turn into "Thank you Lord" quite soon as you become familiar with what you got your self into, hint YOU are the Lord. :)