cut over question

tbooth

I have a new client that purchased a RockBock server last year with a Sangoma analog card and trixbox pre-installed. They have not been happy since they turned it on and have asked me to load up elastix after I highly recommended it. My plan is to load 1.6, I wish they could hold off until 2.0 but they cant. I would like to program it on a server here in my office, do a complete elastix backup then reload the RockBochs server and then install it using the backup. Will this go smooth or should I just plan on loading it on site and reprogramming from scratch?

rollinsolo

I am not the most experienced by far but back ups work for the main configurations such as routes, extensions, ring groups, etc, its great for that, but some of the main system files get overwritten such as when you detect new hardware it will overwrite a backup of dahdi-channels.conf or in my case zapata-channels.conf so you need to make sure to go back into it and reconfigure the important .conf files for what they are using, such as channels on a PRI etc. Just make a good checklist once the backup is ran to go over with yourself because if you do it on site it will go a lot smoother for you if you have something to follow. Good Luck.

dicko

As ever the FreePBX backup module might and might not work with you depending on how forked-up the trickybox system is, after that , the "Bulk extensions" and "Bulk DID" addons to FreePBX can save your whole day in a pinch (a good generic csv file or two there), that and a full backup of /etc/asterisk and /etc/dahdi, for the ISDN parameters. Don't forget to image the system with whatever floats your boat for when anything goes wrong.

rollinsolo

Dicko what do you use to create an image as I am sure you have tried a few things. Thanks. Oh and I also thought he was going to wipe out Tricky and install Elastix on a homebox configure run a backup and just show up with a backup. Not sure.

dicko

Personally I use mondoarchive, you can clone into any hardware from any hardware, it's just a matter of RTFM and understanding raid and partitioning etc.

(you suddenly turned into a cutie :) )

rollinsolo

so it's not hardware dependent but I have to keep the software raid specs the same is that correct. and Yes she is my fire and why I work hard every day.

rollinsolo

Dicko could you give me an example of what partitions or shares to exclude if any? or do you just load this iso and it is everyfile from your system as is. Also is this the same as mondoRescue and is that where we get the rpm's from?

dicko

boot the iso, go into expert mode

export TERM=vt100 so you don't go blind, switch into another tty and build the raid you want, switch back to tty1 do the mondorestore thing and use the partitioning you set up in tty2, not the suggested ratio derived mondo partitions, edit /etc/mtab /etc/fstab and do the mkinitrd thing manually when prompted.

a little practice and it works like a champ.

tbooth

Just to be clear I am NOT going to restore from a trixbox back up. I'm going to program a server from scratch in my office then do a full back up from that server not the trixbox. Reload the trixbox onsite with elastix and restore from the elastix backup. From there all I think I need to do is scan for new hardware to pickup the sangoma card.
I want to do all the hard stuff here at my office so I will take less time to cutover at the customers office.

rollinsolo

Just have a gameplan to debug. I have not been successful installing 1.5 or later with customers using a PRI. I know there are patches out there so if you are successful and they are making calls on a PRI please let me know what patch you used to correct the Dahdi Signaling. My D channel kept going down or something to that affect. For PRI customers so far I have had to stick with 1.3 and zapata. It kind of stinks because I love to stay up to date myself but when I run into those customers I have to backtrack. Let me know.

Sorry just read your first post and saw Analog card, not sure there.

tbooth

There is no PRI, it a simple sangoma analog card, should be straight forward.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti